ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Best Oil for Savage
Reply #45 - 09/28/09 at 09:02:18

bill67 wrote on 09/28/09 at 07:46:27:
Why would you want to change oil more frequently when you can get a premium oil and not have too.

Extended use oil requires an extended use filter which we don't have.
Extended use means we'll build up debree to point of damage.
Particles greater than 10 microns are larger than the oil film.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #46 - 09/28/09 at 09:36:25

With premium oil you get a better seal and by far less wear so you don't get those large particles your talking about.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #47 - 09/28/09 at 12:19:16

Yep, Verslagen -- I know that it was an old article, but it was quoted by one of the newbies (he found it all on his own) so I rolled with what was presented to me.

And yeah, Rotella Syn costs $19 a gallon at Walmart now.  It and all other oils have gone up in price equally due to the devaluation of the dollar.

At least this crew of newbies is learning on their own and digging up their own stuff and posting it.

You, however, are still trying to argue with Bill.  That my friend is a waste of time since he is just gonna throw another nonsense wrench at you about an hour from now.  

=================================

Trash particles in our oil >= 10 microns

Ok, let's say they get past the normal standard filter (I think some do and so do you) == so what happens?

Let's break answer into two parts:

1) soft particles (aluminum, plastic cam chain guide and cork clutch wear products) that get chewed up by the gears and ball bearing rollers with no appreciable damage to bearing races, etc.  Only bearing surface that can be harmed by these is the head cam journal bearings and they run a clearance measured in thousands of an inch.  

These soft particles happen all the time, get chewed up into smaller pieces and get recirculated and chewed up yet again.  They might get smeared over a race or a ball, but they do no real damage.  The tiny sub-micron results of this endless grinding up exit the engine when you change the oil.

2) hard particles (gear teeth, cam chain, other ferrous sources).  These little bits are bad news since they can gouge ball bearing balls and scar up the races and cause actual damage going through a gear interface.  Even ground up, they will cause damage each trip through the works.  These are the bits I worry about.

So, if you worry about them ferrous bits, put a super magnet on your oil filter and trap them all before they go through the works again.

If you want all the bits (hard and soft) gone, mount up your bypass filter and take them all out by golly.

===========

PS  I am guilty of baiting a newbie into a tire wear out contest, his brand new $130 tire vs my 2 plus year old Chung Fooie rear tire.  

'Ol Freddie's singing to him .... he just don't know it yet

<grin>

TrulyEvilOldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #48 - 09/28/09 at 12:35:40

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/28/09 at 12:19:16:
You, however, are still trying to argue with Bill.  That my friend is a waste of time since he is just gonna throw another nonsense wrench at you about an hour from now.  

It's called bill bating   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #49 - 09/28/09 at 12:39:46

I have no doubt in my mine that I can go over 50000 miles without doing anything to the motor using Klotz racing synthetic oil. And also not have to take the carb apart,preventive maintenance has been working for me for many years,I don't see any reason for it to stop in the 21 century.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #50 - 09/28/09 at 12:43:00

Oldfeller why don't you use K&N filter oil in you engine it will filter out all of those terrible particles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #51 - 09/28/09 at 12:54:18

Bill,  that is a chicken bet.  You lose already.

Serenity gave me his old motor with nearly 60,000 miles on it run on old style car oils that had over 10 ppm of ZDDP (all oils back then had the right stuff in them in the proper PPM levels -- all oils had ZDDP alias zinc phosporus additive packages in them back then).    

It is sitting here beside my laptop as we type.  So I already have one that could beat your modern Klotz already sitting there, just waiting for you.

Bill, how much of what flat tappet wear prevention goodie does your Klotz have in it at $11.95 a quart (plus 8 bucks in shipping charges)?

(or $30 per oil change, whichever way you want to say it)

You love the stuff, so give us its specs or be silent -- or won't Klotz tell you what they have in the oil?  

Oh, its a secret??!!

(hee hee hee)

And K&N doesn't make an oil filter (but STP does) but why would I need a sub-10 micron filter when I already stop all my large ferrous particles before they even get to filter and I stop ALL my ferrous bits no matter how small before they exit the filter?

Are you attempting to start a filter war because you can't win an oil war?

Ok, fire away ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #52 - 09/28/09 at 13:12:51

I was talking about K&N air filter oil you should use.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #53 - 09/28/09 at 13:19:14

Huh -- I don't have a K&N filter?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #54 - 09/28/09 at 13:21:04

You can get the K&N oil without getting the filter.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #55 - 09/28/09 at 13:37:36

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/28/09 at 12:54:18:
Bill,  that is a chicken bet.  You lose already.

Serenity gave me his old motor with nearly 60,000 miles on it run on old style car oils that had over 10 ppm of ZDDP (all oils back then had the right stuff in them in the proper PPM levels -- all oils had ZDDP alias zinc phosporus additive packages in them back then).    

It is sitting here beside my laptop as we type.  So I already have one that could beat your modern Klotz already sitting there, just waiting for you.

FACTUAL CORRECTION:  Oldfeller, my engine had something over 51,000 miles on it when I tore it down for rebuild.  I had used Suzuki dino oil throughout the life of the engine, 20W50 in the summer and 10W40 in the winter..........serenity3743

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #56 - 09/28/09 at 13:49:16

Ah, correction appreciated.

So it isn't a chicken bet for all oils, just dino Suzuki oils between 10w40 and 20w50 at just a little more than the 50,000 miles Bill asked for.

Serenity, the re-bore was first oversize, right?  Or was it second over?  Measuring the piston and the bore got me confused a bit, I can't tell if it was first over (.5mm) over or maybe it was more as the worn parts don't really jive together any more.

===================

And Bill, your point about K&N filter oil is?  

Can you state your point?

or is this just another pointless "confusion wrench" tossed into the motor oil discussion to avoid stating what long term anti-galling additive packages are in Klotz racing oil?

If you want to change the subject, I understand completely.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #57 - 09/28/09 at 14:53:34

Oldfeller, the "hard bits" that I think are of concern are the particles of silicon dioxide - also known as "sand" - that make their way into the engine by way of the intake system. The air filter doesn't stop them all, and some make their way past the rings into the oil. Too, hard bits of carbon are produced in normal combustion and some of those also make their way into the oil. Neither sand nor soot will be stopped by a magnet, and both can be hard enough to do damage. Those particles are the reason I don't think a magnet will make much overall difference, even though it can't hurt. The oil filter is supposed to trap particles big enough to cause damage, and the oil dispersant package is supposed to keep the rest from settling out where they may do things such as blocking oil passages. It is my belief that the real reason for oil changes is to remove those particles. Synthetic oils may retain their viscosity longer than non-synthetics, but I think the real limit on oil life is particulate suspension.

By the way, some years ago a synthetic aircraft engine oil came out. I think it was Mobil 1, but I am not sure. It was found inadequate in airplanes using hydraulically controlled propellers. Seems it was unable to keep lead (from 100 Low Lead avgas) in suspension. The lead would centrifuge out in rotating parts of the propeller governors. The oil manufacturer paid for quite a few engine rebuilds.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #58 - 09/28/09 at 15:31:35

That is a good point, Charon, and leads you back to wanting a bypass filter rig to remove every sub-micron particulate, or making you want to do very frequent oil changes to remove the particulates once they are present suspended in the oil.

If you go with rapid/frequent oil changes as your control method, you don't really need a long lasting synthetic oil.  You just need a high temperature rated dino oil.

Dino Rotella T at eleven dollars a gallon has both the additive packages for cam lobe flat tappet issues and as high a temperature threshold as any normal dino oil can offer.   It also has the detergent/dispersant and anti-foam packages that support long mileage diesel engines, so it will keep your small particulates in solution until you dump them out in the drain pan.

If you follow Charon's point -- rapid oil changes are the only method to remove mineral wastes from combustion products and fine air dust inhalation unless you use a bypass oil filtration rig.

Using a sub-10 micron oil filter element would help control the mineral issue, but these filters get loaded up much more quickly than the 10 micron standard oil filter element paper would do.  And they cost a good bit more.

Point, when an oil filter hits saturation and begins to bypass because of pressure build up, then the larger particulates circulate a time or two before getting caught.  This is not a good thing.

=====================

Based on rapid oil change to control mineral particulate build up, how frequently should you dump your oil?

In an American car it is what, 3,000 miles?

In Clymer/Suzuki book "extreme use" calls for an oil change every 30 days with the oil filter to be swapped out at 4,000 miles.

The air filter is to be cleaned (reverse blow out) every 2,000 miles.

« Last Edit: 09/28/09 at 17:29:34 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #59 - 09/28/09 at 15:46:19

Oil change for cars is 7000 miles they just run with the sand in them. Motorcycles should be changed every 30 days Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 03:27:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best Oil for Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.