Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Best Oil for Savage
Reply #30 - 09/26/09 at 12:00:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/25/09 at 22:21:29:
You get what you pay for,The best is never the cheapest.

LOL!! Our Savages/S40s kinda go against this credo ... they are a darn good bargain!!! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #31 - 09/26/09 at 15:13:50

I'm back to Castrol Actevo X-tra 4T 10w-40 for the winter. It's the first oil I put in my bike after I bought it but couldn't find it anywhere local after that. Bought a couple of 4 Liter jugs for a good price online a couple of weeks ago.

1 1/2 years later, I've changed brands several times with everything from cheap 100% Suzi dino to Mobile-1 20w-50 V-twin synth, and am back to where I started and what I like most, the Castrol. Keeps the leaks low and the shifting smooth. Bike leaked like a sieve with the Mobil-1, but, and a big butt, it is a 22 year old bike with over 20K on it, so leaking seals and everything else were probably there before the Mobile-1 went in. I was warned. Most important thing to me is to change the oil and filter on a regular basis.

FSO
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #32 - 09/26/09 at 16:32:04

Well using that oil will make Castro happy,He's been down on his luck the last couple years.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #33 - 09/26/09 at 18:50:28

Crisco's good for chicken,... but I use canola....
It's healthier.... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #34 - 09/26/09 at 19:08:56

Ahh...but there's some oils better than canola Grin

Trust me,I'm going to try my best to stay out of all oil wars in the future Wink

Reminds me of the commercial years ago....the blonde headed woman pulling at her hair....saying

"Stop the Insanity"  Shocked

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #35 - 09/26/09 at 20:52:51

PerrydaSavage wrote on 09/26/09 at 12:00:50:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/25/09 at 22:21:29:
You get what you pay for,The best is never the cheapest.

LOL!! Our Savages/S40s kinda go against this credo ... they are a darn good bargain!!! Cool

Perry, I was arguing against that thought, that was a Bill quote, I dont say that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #36 - 09/27/09 at 08:54:30

Here is the best oil article I've ever read and it talks about motorcycle oils vs car oils http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 09/27/09 at 16:24:01

OK, we'll accept this as an unbiased third party article and see what it says.  (note, yellow highlight is mine)

========

"Three synthetics stand out from the rest: Mobil Delvac 1, Mobil-1 SUV and Shell Rotella T Synthetic. These are C certified industrial oils meant to be purchased in 55 gallon drums and used by companies which run a lot of diesel engines. The Commercial oils, as discussed above, have more expensive additive packages which are meant to prolong engine life and oil life, as opposed to being cheap to buy at Pep Boys and helping the car companies meet their CAFE requirements. These oils meet all the automobile requirements through SJ, and also have extra additives to help pick up gunk in the engine, to keep the oil from becoming acidic, and to maintain the oil's viscosity over a long time. In fact, the manufacturers talk about their oil's viscosity resistance to shear forces - exactly what a motorcycle needs. Shell Rotella-T Synthetic is available at Wal-Mart for $13 / gallon, so I consider this the motor oil of choice. Delvac-1 is very hard to get in the west - there are only two places in all of California where you can buy it. Mobil-1 SUV is readily available everywhere for about $4.50 / quart. When used with the correct filters, these oils are certified for 50,000 mile oil change intervals, and are frequently used for 100,000 to 150,000 miles in diesel long-haul trucks. Now, before you get all excited about the possibilities, you must also keep in mind that the diesel engines don't run their oil through their transmission, and the large diesels all have two oil filters, one a normal paper filter, and the other a 1 or 2 micron filter that catches pretty much everything."

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #38 - 09/27/09 at 16:46:48

Being my S40 only has one oil filter is a good reason to stick with Klotz.Walmart doesn't sell it.I order it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #39 - 09/27/09 at 16:47:54

old article OF
RotSyn is $19
and I wouldn't use Mobil1 SUV in a m/c, I did and my clutch slipped.

WWW   IP Logged
Frostnasty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 09/28/09 at 04:31:45

I use Rotella, the dinosaur variety...in my fawteen hunnert.

Here's an interesting read.  This is a quote, not my words, sorry I don't know who to attribute this to.  

Motorcycle usage

Though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella oil has found popularity with motorcyclists as well. The properties of heavy duty engine oils tend to map to the same requirements of motorcycle oils, particularly those whose engine and transmission share the same oil. (This is called a "shared sump" design, which is unlike automobiles which maintain separate oil reservoirs - one for the engine and one for the transmission). The chemical additives found in heavy duty engine oils work well with motorcycles. In addition, the lack of "friction modifiers" in truck oils such as Rotella means they do not interfere with proper wet clutch operations.

Motorcycle specific oils tend to cost between $8 and $10 per quart. Shell Rotella T 15W-40 costs about $19 per gallon (or about $4.75/quart). The price economy of Shell Rotella T allows a motorcycle owner to change oil more frequently, thus matching the "extended change interval" value of motorcycle specific synthetics

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #41 - 09/28/09 at 07:18:20

The Rotella T I bought at about $9.00/gallon is now ( last I looked, couple of months ago) at ~~$11.00 or about $2.75 a quart. The stash is down to about 6 gallons & Im hearing some rumblings of a drop in oil p[rice, maybe thatll come thru & I can get a bunch of oil before the trillions & trillions handed to the bankers drives us to Wiemar style inflation,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #42 - 09/28/09 at 07:46:27

Frostnasty wrote on 09/28/09 at 04:31:45:
I use Rotella, the dinosaur variety...in my fawteen hunnert.

Here's an interesting read.  This is a quote, not my words, sorry I don't know who to attribute this to.  

Motorcycle usage

Though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella oil has found popularity with motorcyclists as well. The properties of heavy duty engine oils tend to map to the same requirements of motorcycle oils, particularly those whose engine and transmission share the same oil. (This is called a "shared sump" design, which is unlike automobiles which maintain separate oil reservoirs - one for the engine and one for the transmission). The chemical additives found in heavy duty engine oils work well with motorcycles. In addition, the lack of "friction modifiers" in truck oils such as Rotella means they do not interfere with proper wet clutch operations.

Motorcycle specific oils tend to cost between $8 and $10 per quart. Shell Rotella T 15W-40 costs about $19 per gallon (or about $4.75/quart). The price economy of Shell Rotella T allows a motorcycle owner to change oil more frequently, thus matching the "extended change interval" value of motorcycle specific synthetics

Why would you want to change oil more frequently when you can get a premium oil and not have too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
yumi

2004 Purple

gainesville, fl
Reply #43 - 09/28/09 at 07:56:47

Royal Purple (she's purple and she likes her oil to match); Advance Discount Auto Parts

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #44 - 09/28/09 at 08:00:29

Royal Purple is a premium oil and doe work best in purple bikes Wink

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print