Send Topic Print
Best Oil for Savage (Read 1771 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Best Oil for Savage
Reply #15 - 09/25/09 at 14:32:24

Just to stir the snakes...

I cannot see any reason to use a racing oil in a street machine. The racing machine likely has its oil changed for every race, so it will not need much in the way of dispersant additives, or additives to make it cling to engine parts when shut down. It probably does not need much in the way of additives to control corrosion or neutralize combustion byproducts. Cold starting isn't likely an issue, either, so the oil doesn't have to address that. It might be wonderful for sustained high speed and high power, although even in racing the engine doesn't put out maximum power for very long at a time (you have to slow for curves, as a rule). But it isn't likely to be optimized for the street.

For lack of a better term, "street" oil is designed to survive cold starts. It is designed to cling to surfaces after shutdown, so they remain lubricated on start-up. It contains additives designed to neutralize acids produced by combustion by-products. It contains dispersants, designed to keep very small particulates from settling out. And it is designed to last for thousands of miles or many months, not just for one race.

It is your machine, and your money. You won't go far wrong as long as you stay away from "Energy Conserving" choices and change the oil according to the maker's recommendations.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 09/25/09 at 14:50:08

Only +7 points on that answer.   Yes, of the group of oils rated that are rated BEST the Rotella Syn is the least expensive.  At least you managed to find the listing of best oils.  But you left out why the group of oils was chosen in the first place.  

What makes them better than all the other oils for use in motorcycles?

During the test preview I specifically asked the class to punch "ZDDP" into their list search engines so you would be prepared to answer this question correctly.  Those too lazy to do so could have at least Googled ZDDP on their always active texting telephones and gotten enough information to pick up at least 5 more points.

Oh, +2 points for figuring out about the energy star additives causing clutch slippage.   That gets you up to 9 points out of 15.

So far you sit at a grade of 60 which is not passing.  For recovering some of your missing 40 points, 1) explain what is ZDDP and why it is necessary in the Savage engine and 2) list the two characteristics of the approved list of oils got them a place in the primary ranking of Best Oils.

For further grade recovery, 3 additional points will be awarded for being able to explain in some detail why there are two lists of Best Oils in the first place and what ENGINE characteristic is the primary cause of failure that the top list avoids much better than the second list.  +1 point for being able to state clearly why this difference is important to your Savage's engine.

Note:  http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html   does not contain all the information needed to completely answer these questions.  Consult other sources as needed.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 09/25/09 at 15:37:23

Theres nothing in my s40 manual that says use diesel oil maybe those Japs don't know about that, Someone should clue Suzuki in about that.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/25/09 at 15:40:05

What you will get here are a lot of amateur personal opinions based on no valid, controlled testing in motorcycle engines.

If you want to be sure you are buying the right oil for your bike, buy one that specifically states it is made for motorcycles, on the bottle.  Better to go by what the chemical engineers who designed the oil, recommend.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 09/25/09 at 15:41:07

Charon wrote on 09/25/09 at 14:32:24:
Just to stir the snakes...

I cannot see any reason to use a racing oil in a street machine. The racing machine likely has its oil changed for every race, so it will not need much in the way of dispersant additives, or additives to make it cling to engine parts when shut down. It probably does not need much in the way of additives to control corrosion or neutralize combustion byproducts. Cold starting isn't likely an issue, either, so the oil doesn't have to address that. It might be wonderful for sustained high speed and high power, although even in racing the engine doesn't put out maximum power for very long at a time (you have to slow for curves, as a rule). But it isn't likely to be optimized for the street.

For lack of a better term, "street" oil is designed to survive cold starts. It is designed to cling to surfaces after shutdown, so they remain lubricated on start-up. It contains additives designed to neutralize acids produced by combustion by-products. It contains dispersants, designed to keep very small particulates from settling out. And it is designed to last for thousands of miles or many months, not just for one race.

It is your machine, and your money. You won't go far wrong as long as you stay away from "Energy Conserving" choices and change the oil according to the maker's recommendations.

I never saw that oil that says street oil,Where do you get that street oil at,Do they have oil for gravel roads too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #20 - 09/25/09 at 15:58:53

And just what did Free Spirit teach us ?

It couldn't have been the one about special oil for motorcycles now could it ? Embarrassed Would that be about like Castrol contaminating engines, or 10-40 causing spun bearings.
Maybe you're right, just maybe I'm learning something, from him and you both  Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #21 - 09/25/09 at 16:40:06

Common sense is sometimes pretty underrated. Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/25/09 at 18:09:05

Castrol motor oil was named after Fidel Castro, and is produced in communist Cuba.  The cases that are shipped to America are deliberately made with substandard chemistry, designed to cause engines to seize and throw their con rods out the side of the crankcase. This dirty little secret is well known among the informed elite.

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 09/25/09 at 20:09:00

I have friends and kin who are so educated they are nearly parylyzed when it comes to making a decision. I also have friends and kin who are so against anything to do with educating themselves that they cost themselves pain and money at every turn. It's a balance. I feel lucky to have grown up with 30w and 50w. We didn't talk about molecules back then; we just used "thick" oil in old motors and "thin" oil in newer motors. I read up a little on oil, ask everyone what they use, watch their performance, and decide. The fact is, engines are built with closer tolerances and better metal. The oil has had to keep up, because they run at higher temps now. In my opinion the most important thing is to use oil that doesn't make your clutch slip, and change it often.    Boofer

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #24 - 09/25/09 at 20:32:00

I totally agree Boofer. Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 09/25/09 at 20:48:50

The only unique requirements you absolutely need to hit are to avoid the clutch slippage causing energy star additives, get over 10 PPM of ZDDP to keep from tearing up your flat tappet cam lobe junctions (antique valve actuation technology that is still used in the 1980's designed Savage motor) and get you a synthetic oil so if your air cooled motor gets overheated accidentally your oil and your Savage doesn't self destruct.

This mix of stuff is generally found in expensive motorcycle oils (over $10 a quart) or in diesel oils (much less expensive as big diesel engines use 5-10 gallons of oil to make an oil change).

Diesels have very heavy duty requirements as they can go 80,000 to 100,000 miles between oil changes and live with much heavier bearing loads and temperatures than are seen anywhere in a car (or most bikes for that matter).

That's why bike guys like diesel oils, they can exceed the requirements of our bike engines at a relatively lower cost.

===============

BTW, I am a fan of the first oil on the list of BEST OILS that you discovered independently on your very own.   The cost per oil change for that oil is the lowest of any and the protection provided is arguably as good as anything out there.  

You can pay a lot more, but do you get anything for paying the extra money?

==================

There is a reason that this stuff has become #1 best oil in motorcycledom and has survived every oil war on every list (and at BOBISTHEOILGUY and their endless professional level oil wars) at the top of everybody's list of best oils.

And yes, it has been subjected to JSO tests repeatedly and passed, so the Jap motorcycle mgfs do "approve" of the use of certain diesel oils in motorcycle engines.

Some honest Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha dealers even recognize that car oils have moved away from being good motorcycle oils due to the issues with car catalytic converter contamination and will actually recommend and sell diesel oils on their showroom floors.  Mine does, right next to the $14.95 a quart motorcycle oils.

And guess which one he sells?  

The one that protects best against EXTREME temperatures, of course.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 09/25/09 at 22:21:29

You get what you pay for,The best is never the cheapest.

Faulty logic. IF its true that "You get what you pay for",, then no one would be filing lawsuits for fraud & mis representation. There would be no consumer groups. Your thinking suggests a higher price simply MUST translate to higher quality.
You rarely get what you pay for, you Will pay for what you get. IF you stumble across a product produced by a reputable person/company, there is no reason why all of the competitors cant be of lower quality & higher price. You simply STATE that the best can never be the cheapest & pretend that your decree has made it so.
The problem with many isnt so much what they dont know, its what the "know" that just aint so.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #27 - 09/26/09 at 00:00:40

Use Shell Rotella T - either dino juice or synthetic and get riding.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 09/26/09 at 00:20:20

+1 for the redneck. But thats just my opinion.

PS - I LOVE oil wars. You guys are great. Its almost like a sitcom.

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #29 - 09/26/09 at 02:33:36

+1 i love oil wars as well   tis great

as for 'racing oil', well its not the same stuff that racers use on a track of course. i live near a racing circuit but i dont think ill be asking them what they use  too complex

the 1st time i used castrol oil was in my first bike. i switched from dino and found better performance lower revs on the same roads in the same gear and overall smother running

naturally when i got this bike i was (recently changed) dino out suzuki filter and heaver weight castrol oil in     smoother running from 1st turn of the key  

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:19:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best Oil for Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.