voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Best Oil for Savage
Reply #105 - 09/29/09 at 20:23:47

Misdirection doesn't really do much.

Base oil + additives = product

Does product meet requirements of use?

Those are the questions here.  JASO / API certifications can help answer the second question.

Where an oil meets standards that encompass those required by a specific piece of equipment, and has the appropriate additives, then it will work for that equipment.  

Racing oil just doesn't seem necessarily ideal.  If indeed it's real racing oil.  Generally has more oil, less additives, and gets changed immediately.  At least that's what we did - run a race, change the oil & filter at a minimum.  We'd still have problems with bearings and cams at times.  Of course, when one takes an engine that's supposed to redline here, but you run it way up there, things will wear!

Klotz V twin API-SH/CG-4
Rotella Syn API SL, SJ, SH/CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF

On bare specs, Rotella looks pretty nice.  It's superior to the usual.  

But they both look OK to me.  Suzuki shop guy showed me another today he said worked better than Rotella Syn (which he was using before) in his bikes.  Don't remember the name, but it was $35/gallon!!

While this isn't an oil shootout, I tend to suspect Shell has more money for oil research than most entities.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #106 - 09/29/09 at 20:33:59

Just like I thought rotella not jaso approved Klotz mx4 is jaso approved,thats says it all your wasting your time.Warranty no good if you don't use approved oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #107 - 09/29/09 at 20:36:35

I dont need a warranty if its not broke, & so far, it is well out of warranty & it aint broke.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #108 - 09/29/09 at 20:39:04

JASO

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #109 - 09/29/09 at 21:00:21

easywriter wrote on 09/29/09 at 15:42:14:
Just want to say thank you for this informative thread! If it wasn't for the input, I may have went with the same Pennzoil that goes in my car. Based on what I read, I'm thinking Rotella T synthetic. It has lots of ZDDP and is cost effective.

You really are kidding ain't you ?
Now just what do you suppose would have happened if you used Penzoil, or Havoline or Castrol or Valveoline or any other motor oil out there ? Sounds to me like this oil garbage is starting  to rub off on you,....you better be careful, you liable to start thinking like they do   Undecided

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #110 - 09/29/09 at 21:56:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/29/09 at 16:15:06:
Sinc4e its obvious price equates with protective qualities I will make you happy & your bike last forever. I'll sell a gallon of oil in my own "specially marked" container for $1,000.00. You can change it as often as you like. Ill make more..& your bike CANT ever wear out, cuz you are spending tons for the oil. Dont worry about what is or isnt in it. I said its good, that should be enough to satisfy the most ardent oil lover.

Taking orders now, PM me with how many gallons you want. Ill take 25% off on orders of 2 & 35% on 3 or more.

My God, J.O.G., have you sold out to big business?  Tell me it isn't so!  But if you have, well, I'll take 2 gallons.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #111 - 09/29/09 at 22:08:21

Drop the $1500.00 in the mail & Ill get you oil right out to ya!
Anyone else want the BEST Oil in the world?
Ive had it tested & its GREAT stuff..really, no seriously, you can trust me,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #112 - 09/30/09 at 01:11:14

Part of the JASO requirement limits ash content to 1.2%. Ash content of ROTELLA T exceeds this limit. Oil ash contributes to combustion chamber and spark plug deposits

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #113 - 09/30/09 at 03:45:49

Jabman, your data is about 2 years old and applies to the older class of CI-4 oils

(we use the current CJ-4 class oils -- the current Rotella T Triple Protection white jug dino oil has ash content that is within JASO limits).  

The older Rotella T formulation CI-4 from several years ago did not meet JASO for ash and the motorcycle world bitched about it voraciously until Shell fixed it.  We may not be a big part of their user world (big trucks are) but we are VOCAL more than most.

Rotella Syn CJ-4 in the blue jug has always had low ash and has always met JASO for all items since it came out in retail packaging.

Now, to save Bill the effort there is no JASO emblem on the bottle because Shell does not put it there.  Why?  Truckers aren't smart enough not to get confused by the additional markings that don't have anything to do with their industry?  Or why risk confusing them with a bunch of additional stuff on the bottle -- you got the #1 brand so don't mess with it?  (You pick the reason you like best)

Who knows?  The folks who need to know about JASO already know about it and you have those kindly folks at Bob is the Oil Guy to keep Shell on the straight and narrow about all specs.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1125618

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #114 - 09/30/09 at 04:14:54

We sure don't want to confuse the truckers

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #115 - 09/30/09 at 04:41:45

ha sorry I waded in there with that. I cannot even get that oil in the UK. Im not looking to change oil, but what other non motorcycle oils do people use

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #116 - 09/30/09 at 06:07:01

So, the next step, is there a low % consumer available additive that will improve clutch or valve train life or performance?

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #117 - 09/30/09 at 10:19:48

If you want to pay as much as the Rotella oil costs to add ZDDP to some other oil you can go here.

(why would you do that? Just buy the right oil in the first place)

http://www.zddppluscentral.com/

=================================

Jabman,

In England the name isn't Rotella,  it is Rimula  (don't ask me about brand name conflicts in various countries -- somebody has Rotella in use already)

Rimula D Extra to be more specific ..... there are several choices in that product line

http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100315

As far as wading in, if you like the smell of mud come on in -- it's an oil war (fairly civilized one so far)

We do these oil wars periodically as we have LOTS of newbies on this list and oil is important to our particular bike to use the right oil as we use some old antique valve/tappet technology and we have an oddity with our cam chain tensioner that makes oil very important to us.  

Plus our ever-helpful American politicians are playing with our oil through regulations actually causing our bikes to die prematurely.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1253437935/68#68

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #118 - 09/30/09 at 13:57:53

JASO

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #119 - 09/30/09 at 14:09:54

hey your right it is called  Rimula D here

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:17:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best Oil for Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.