Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help with idle (Read 109 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Need help with idle
09/25/09 at 10:50:59

If some of you guys could help me with this little test, I would appreciate it. I am trying to track down my inconsistent idle problems. Trying to figure out if it's the petcock. I sucked on the vac line, but nothing comes out as it should. However I have problems with the idle. Let's say first stop at traffic light it idles normal around 1,200. Drive off to second, idle could be at 1,500. Drive off to third traffic light, it about dies. Drive off again idle could be around 1,000. Drive off again idle is normal. This goes on all the time, not necessarily in that particular order, but it does it only when warmed up. So I keep messing with the mixture screw, needing it to turn it more lean, but will get more of a flat spot at about 1/4 throttle. It needs to be a 2 1/4 turn to run good, but idles crappy. Turn it to 2 turns out idles better, but has that flat spot. I haven't changed the setup in a year, and last year it ran perfect like this. Now that I have to go leaner, it could mean that the petcock might have a tiny leak, so a little gas gets through the vac line into the carb, thus messing up the setup.

Now my question is if some of you guys could try what I did:
While idling, pinch the vac line where it curves up near the speedo cable and see if the idle goes up about 100-200rpm and the idle gets more stable on mine then too. IMHO it shouldn't make a difference to the idle doing that. I wanna make sure it's the petcock for sure before I buy a new one.

Thanks for any input.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Need help with idle
Reply #1 - 09/25/09 at 10:56:23

If you suspect the petcock isnt delivering fuel, put it on Prime. That bypasses the diaphragm.  Now, if the diaphragm is obstructing flow, then that test will not work out. You can see if its delivering fuel by pulling the line off the carb & putting it in a gas can, Maybe pull the fuel line off & poke a long one on, so you can sit a gas can down & make it easier. Fire it up. It'll run quite a while on the gas in the bowl.
I suspect crud in the carb, tho.
Maybe you could drain the bowl into a glass & see what kind of crap comes out. May want to drop the bowl & have a look.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/25/09 at 11:17:11

make sure that the vac line is securely clamped at both ends and not cracked... this would cause an intake leak...
if not that,... my guess would be a sticky slide in the carb,... go in from the top of the carb, pull the slide out and clean off residue from the slide and the cylinder....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 09/25/09 at 12:31:56

The bike runs great other than the idle, so it must be delivering fuel. I got a new hose and clamps on it. I sucked on the end that hooks to the carb and stuck my tongue in it, and it keeps the vacuum, but I have a faint smell of gas there, but maybe because I am close to the carb and the bowl vents there. Could it be the o-ring on the idle mixture screw causing a vacuum leak? I am ging to drop the bowl and check for dirt, but I still am curious if pinching the vac hose is causing a higher idle on y'alls bikes. Smiley

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 09/25/09 at 13:59:14

Raftguy,

Just for you, I took a little ride to warm it up to a perfect idle, then I pinched the vacum line,.......and I cannot detect any difference in idle when the line is pinched. But I notice you sure can feel the pulsing of that piston thumping away, when squeezing that hose.

IMO, if the hose is good and clamped tight at both ends, and the diaphram is not leaking, there will be no difference.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 09/25/09 at 14:05:29

Thanks for doing that. I appreciate it. That's what I thought. Since this is a new hose and clamps, that means my petcock is going out. I feel the hose pulsating too. Just don't know why it has to be warmed up for that to occur.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 09/25/09 at 15:06:36

But seems like if you were to disconnect the hose from the diaphram, and block it, then run on prime, that would eliminate any problem in that circuit. If you still have the problem, and you are sure there are no other vacum leaks, then its time to attack the carb.

You can check for vacum leaks by spraying wd-40 around the carb intake area, and note any RPM change.

Is there any chance you have a valve too tight ? But if it runs good above an idle,....not likely I guess.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 12/11/09 at 21:47:07

ralfyguy wrote on 09/25/09 at 10:50:59:
...... While idling, pinch the vac line where it curves up near the speedo cable and see if the idle goes up about 100-200rpm and the idle gets more stable on mine then too. IMHO it shouldn't make a difference to the idle doing that.....

If you've got gas entering the intake manifold via the petcock's vacuum line, this can cause an uneven idle as you will then have an intermittent and uneven rich condition.

« Last Edit: 01/02/10 at 20:35:13 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 04:09:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help with idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.