babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Dent removal
09/25/09 at 09:52:01

Ok, I read the thread in the tech section about removing dents.  I'm planning to try the trick with the computer-type spray can.  There was no mention of whether the gas tank should be full or empty, or maybe it doesn't matter.  Anyone know?

~

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Dent removal
Reply #1 - 09/25/09 at 10:21:40

I think you will want the tank empty, or at least low enough so there is no fuel behind the dent. Otherwise, the fuel will absorb the "cold" and keep the metal from the extreme temperature change caused by the dry ice - or computer spray.

Just a guess, but if you have access to air conditioning and refrigeration supplies, R134a or R22 might work. Or a carbon-dioxide fire extinguisher.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/25/09 at 10:50:39

You might be able to get dry ice from the grocery store. They sell it here/

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 09/25/09 at 11:01:39

My husband happens to be HVAC certified and has all that crap, so if the computer spray doesn't work, we could try that stuff too.
But yes, no fuel behind the dent sounds like the ticket!  
I'll take some before & after pics...  IF it works!

~

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #4 - 09/25/09 at 13:13:49

I have a small dent which I haven't yet tried this trick on.  Will be interested if it works for you!

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 09/25/09 at 15:37:25

Well, just tried it.  And it worked pretty well.  I had two very small dents, one maybe the size of a pencil eraser and the other was even smaller.  The smaller one is completely gone, the pencil-size one was kinda square-shaped, and it is barely visible.  I doubt anyone but me could find it.  Now a little touch up paint for the paint chips (little dots) and she'll be good as new.  

On a side note, I tried it on a couple spots on my car too.  Totally removed a small one, didn't do as well on a long one, but it was close to where the doors meet (on the rear door, just behind the gap between front and rear door)  It did pretty good on one other spot on the front, which was in a curved area.  I wish I had "before" pictures of the car.

I couldn't even get a good pic of the bike tank that showed the dent before the operation, so sorry I can't post before and after pics.

Now if I can only get this weird taste out of my mouth!  If you try it, don't breathe this junk...  uck!
~

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 09/25/09 at 15:59:06

P.S.  My husband said its against EPA regulations to release refrigerant into the atmosphere, so using it for this purpose would not be recommended.

IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #7 - 09/27/09 at 12:55:22

Do you think it would work on one the size of a half dollar, my handlebars dented the tank when my son dropped it showing off for Grandpa. LOL.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/27/09 at 13:43:55

Depends on depth. A 1/2" deep dent isnt coming out with a dose of cold. If its on the filler neck side, you might be able to GENTLY & Slowly work it out, but the shape of the tool & your attention to detail & patience will be deciding factors in the success/degree of success or the damage you actually do. I spent over 8 hours working a dent out of the deck lid on the Honda. If I had been in a position to have it painted & could have used bondo on it, I could have had it in an hour or less, but I had to move slow & not drive any lumps in it from the inside. Its not perfectly smooth, but its easy to walk by & not even notice it.

A bunch of tiny taps works better than a couple of heavy smacks. A hard edge on a pry bar is gonna mess things up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 09/27/09 at 15:09:11

Here is a decent instructional video.  I think the secret is getting it warm enough, then using enough liquid co2 to chill it.... maybe.

IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #10 - 09/27/09 at 19:30:44

Ok thanks

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 09/27/09 at 19:32:44

babyhog wrote on 09/27/09 at 15:09:11:
Here is a decent instructional video.  I think the secret is getting it warm enough, then using enough liquid co2 to chill it.... maybe.

Do you think that would work on the wrinkles on my face Grin

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #12 - 09/28/09 at 09:05:30

I don't know, Bill.  Why don't you try it?  Be sure to post the video!

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/28/09 at 10:05:37

And all these years I thought a can of dent remover was bondo.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/28/09 at 10:25:18

If I had a dent I needed to fix on a painted part, I take a side cover off & try some hot glue on a bottom edge & see if it sticks well enough to pull a dent. If so, can you get it off w/o messing the paint up. If so, then glue a rod/dowel, not in the bottom of the dent, but about 1/3rd of the way between edge of the dent & the  bottom. Gently pull on the rod & gently tap on the edge of the dent. A careful study of the dent will show a raised area around the dent, called an Eyebrow in body working circles.
If the dent was slapped in with any real ferocity, it simply cant be fixed w/o heat ( Like a brazing tip on a torch) shrinking it. Metal stretches a lot easier than youd think.

I Do have a dent I should try the heat/cold on. Pretty "soft" dent, as dents go. It was the outside of my knee, catching the bike as it rolled off the stand, parked, in Neutral, pointed downhill in a parking lot. Im just not ready to worry about it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 04:40:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dent removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.