Send Topic Print
Trickle charger (Read 163 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Trickle charger
09/24/09 at 19:47:11

I have an older trickle charger,not a battery tender,1 amp that works like new .Is it a problem charging a big crank battery with this because the battery is sealed,and the gasses can't escape? Thanks.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Trickle charger
Reply #1 - 09/24/09 at 20:07:02

First of all, the battery experts will tell you that the battery is not completely sealed,....gasses must escape.
Even if it is an AGM battery that can be laid on its side, it still  has small vents. But there is no liquid acid in an AGM, so venting is never noticable.

A 1 amp charger will charge it. But if it is an older trickle charger, the voltage is probably too hi to be a maintainer (float) charger, so don't leave it on more than 24 hrs.
You can check the voltage when the battery is fully charged to be sure. It should not exceed 13.2-13.4. If it gets much higher than that, it will overcharge,....boil the battery dry if left on.
In the cold weather, the voltage can go up as hi as 14 volts w/o overcharging.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/24/09 at 20:49:55

WalMart has a Schauer brand 1.5 Amp charger/maintainer that has motorcycle picture on box. It says it is a float maintainer. At 19.95 I may try it for my mower, ATV, and Bike? Any comments or experience with these. Schauer is the only brand I have used for cars for 40 years.    Boofer (Caution: wife works for WM, and is happy there. Be nice.)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/24/09 at 22:36:10

I found a "Trickle charger" once. I was TRickling & discovered I was 'Trickling" on an electric fence..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 09/25/09 at 07:25:56

qn7qcw7 wrote on 09/24/09 at 20:49:55:
WalMart has a Schauer brand 1.5 Amp charger/maintainer that has motorcycle picture on box. It says it is a float maintainer. At 19.95 I may try it for my mower, ATV, and Bike? Any comments or experience with these. Schauer is the only brand I have used for cars for 40 years.    Boofer (Caution: wife works for WM, and is happy there. Be nice.)

I have a shumacher 1.5 float charger that is maintaining my riding mower, my 12v walk behind mower, and my ATV batteries all at the same time. It works fabulous !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/25/09 at 20:45:04

Thanks, Boofer

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #6 - 09/26/09 at 10:58:18

Thanks Routy ,That answers my question.

IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #7 - 09/27/09 at 04:22:26

Routy wrote on 09/25/09 at 07:25:56:
qn7qcw7 wrote on 09/24/09 at 20:49:55:

I have a shumacher 1.5 float charger that is maintaining my riding mower, my 12v walk behind mower, and my ATV batteries all at the same time. It works fabulous !

+1 on the Schumacher. It kept my bike running all last Winter as my garage is unattached and unheated. It also comes with a pigtail to install directly to the battery allowing easy connection and disconnection. As a plus, the alligator clamps (for use of charging the battery indoors...also included) I inverted the color scheme (aka idiot proofed them  Grin) so that I can now plug them into the bike and jump the bike with another vehicle.

Came in handy last Winter when the battery died at my favorite coffee spot.

I just leave those clamps in the saddlebags for that very situation...handy little item that Schumacher Maintainer...and much cheaper than the Battery Tender.
Cool

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 12/12/09 at 20:40:33

Routy wrote on 09/24/09 at 20:07:02:
.....A 1 amp charger will charge it. But if it is an older trickle charger, the voltage is probably too hi to be a maintainer (float) charger, so don't leave it on more than 24 hrs.....

One way around this with the "dumb" chargers is to hook them up to a timer that comes on for just 30 minutes per day.

I've been doing that for years.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 12/12/09 at 20:51:43

That works too.

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 23:27:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trickle charger

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.