Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2006 LS40 (Read 271 times)
PBLover

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2006 LS40
09/24/09 at 12:09:12

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here and also to driving my own bike.  I used to ride a little Honda 350 back in the day, almost 25 years ago now, but decided recently to get back into it after being a passenger for the past couple years.  I just purchased a 2006 Boulevard LS40 for $2800.  It has 953 miles on it and looks like a new bike.  My question is this:  It looks like the oil is the original and should be changed, should I go with standard or switch to synthetic at this point.  I think it will need a new battery new spring, but for now it seems to work well.  Also, are there any other things that should be done to the bike now that it's going to be on the road again.  Tires are good.  I"m definitely not a mechanic but hope to learn a lot about this bike since it's the first I've ever purchased.  Thanks for any help and I think this forum will teach me alot about my new ride!

IP Logged
jabman

England
Re: 2006 LS40
Reply #1 - 09/24/09 at 12:14:45

i would change the oil and filter, always the first thing i do with a new bike i get. please don't ask which oil to use, you may inadvertently spark a big debate

just type oil in the search bar!

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/24/09 at 12:32:02

Yup,.. oil is a dangerous topic... Grin

But at 950 miles, you can go with synth if you want.  You should be broke in by now...
Also, by now, you are late for a first oil change... no harm done, but definitely time to change both oil and filter...
You may find some metal shavings in the filter,... that's normal during break-in...
As for batteries, Big Crank is very popular here... available online..
Welcome to the site,
Serowbot

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 09/24/09 at 13:35:00

Welcome. Ditto on what has been said above. Many hrs have been spent debating oil. Search the forum on oils and do the oil & filter change. Its the best thing you can do for the bike.

For any questions or issues that arise concerning your bike, you have found the place around for answers.

Ride safe and enjoy the bike!!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 09/24/09 at 13:53:22

id go with a magnetic drain plug also..
nice find on the 06 my 06 has close to 13k all of them mine..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/24/09 at 17:20:32

Serowbot wrote on 09/24/09 at 12:32:02:

But at 950 miles, you can go with synth if you want.  You should be broke in by now...
Also, by now, you are late for a first oil change... no harm done, but definitely time to change both oil and filter...
You may find some metal shavings in the filter,... that's normal during break-in...
As for batteries, Big Crank is very popular here... available online..
Welcome to the site,
Serowbot

I'd change the oil & add at least a mag drain plug & IF you can, holler at OldFeller & get hands on a Super Dooper Magnet to put in with the oil filter. Im not sure that crucial, because Ive seen a Savage with over 90,000 miles on it. I doubt seriously they used Synth or magnets & from the looks of it, only occasionally if ever, parked it under cover. POint is, Im thinking that with just basic regular maintenance, these engines, barring some materials failure in the odd engine, will run longer than the rest of the bike will last, unless the whole thing gets the same "Heroic" level of care as the engine, when the engine gets the best oils available & that oil is pushed past magnets.
But, considering youve been breaking it in & there will be some fine material floating aroind in there, Id consider an oil change & then another one, very soon thereafter, to flush the most metal out possible.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PBLover

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/24/09 at 19:06:59

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.  I'll give it an oil change this weekend and look for the magentic plugs.  Rode it again today and found one problem.  I had troubles shifting it down into first once I stop.  I either had to rev it up or move the bike forward an inch or two, then it would slip in.  Does this sounds like a clutch adjustment or something else?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/24/09 at 19:10:39

Sounds normal, everyone has trouble shifting when they 1st get it.
apply pressure in the way you want to go, let the clutch out a little and it will pop into gear.

WWW   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #8 - 09/24/09 at 19:11:11

Typical of the bike. You can let the clutch in & out before shifting down too.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 09/24/09 at 19:13:22

Try releasing the clutch lever, and then pulling it in again...  
Works every time.... Wink

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/24/09 at 21:00:42

PBLover, Welcome. Sounds like you got a good deal. I nearly always blip the throttle and hit 1st just as I roll to a stop with the clutch in. The throttle blip is just a holdover from driving old trucks with nonexistent or worn synchronizers. Not even sure if it works for our bike, but it makes me feel better. Lots of info and good folks on here. Of course there is one in every crowd that shows his butt occasionaly. Hmmmm....wonder if it's me?     Boofer

IP Logged
savageken
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/24/09 at 21:21:31

Do not use oil that is labeled energy saving

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 09/24/09 at 21:25:10

savageken wrote on 09/24/09 at 21:21:31:
Do not use oil that is labeled energy saving

That one's true....  no arguments there...   Wink

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 09/25/09 at 00:25:15

10W40 4-stroke motorcycle oil ... used to buy "Suzuki" brand from dealer, but now just use whatever I can find on sale ... have used Castrol from Wally World and Motomaster from Crappy Tire ... no ill effects from either ... I change once every 2000km (1300mi) or so, so it doesn't matter to me what goes in the crankcase as long as it agrees with my MOM ...

Good find on the low-milage '06! Congrats and Ride Safe!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #14 - 09/25/09 at 06:48:34

PBlover, you got a good deal, congratulations.  I am certain you will enjoy the S40.. most fun for the money out there.

Serowbot wrote on 09/24/09 at 12:32:02:

Man you gotta love a forum where the most nastiness that ever occurs is over the pros and cons of various oils.  Grin  It's about as funny as "tastes great!"  "less filling!" beer arguments.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 23:34:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2006 LS40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.