Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Neg battery terminal? (Read 115 times)
conlime
YaBB Newbies

Chicago
Neg battery terminal?
09/23/09 at 19:44:01

How the *&?!# do you get to this? Do I have to take off the chrome batt cover? I want to remove the battery. Why is this such a pain in the butt?

If you keep throwing yourself into the fire you'll eventually figure out a way to not get burt.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Neg battery terminal?
Reply #1 - 09/23/09 at 20:18:40

never, I repeat, never take the positive terminal off 1st.  One chance short to ground and you're wearing a battery.

remove the seat, with a long screwdriver on left side as you sit, reach in and unscrew the negative terminal.  slide the battery out a bit, fold back the rubber cover and unscrew the positive terminal last.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/23/09 at 20:44:12

never, I repeat, never take the positive terminal off 1st.  One chance short to ground and you're wearing a battery.

Just in case you need someone to tell you that twice to believe it, believe it. Very bad idea to pull the hot side first.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #3 - 09/24/09 at 05:05:35

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/23/09 at 20:44:12:

Just in case you need someone to tell you that twice to believe it, believe it. Very bad idea to pull the hot side first.

Ditto.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 09/24/09 at 05:25:34

In case you wonder why, this it it. By removing the negative connection first, you are removing the connection that already goes to where an accidental short will touch. Since the connection is already made, no spark will result. Once the negative cable is removed, and placed where it cannot touch the negative battery terminal, a short from positive to ground will not result in a spark because there is no longer a complete circuit. When you reinstall the battery, connect positive first, then negative.

To be really picky about it, the important part is disconnecting the grounded terminal first. Some vehicles were produced with positive ground systems. As far as I know there have been none in the last fifty years or so.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/24/09 at 14:37:59

Mack trucks were still like that in the 70's at least.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 09/24/09 at 15:55:28

I never worried about which one came off first,or with jumper cables which one went on first,just didn't touch any metal with either one.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 03:49:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Neg battery terminal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.