Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
bike dies when I let off throttle (Read 313 times)
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

bike dies when I let off throttle
09/23/09 at 18:22:11

well she finally stopped leaking gas, but now she won't stay running when the petcock is ON.  Sometimes I'll start the bike, it'll warm up, and then just die.  Sometimes it'll start and seem to run fine, but while I'm riding it, when I let off the gas to stop or turn, then the bike dies (a bit disarming when this happens at an intersection).  Sometimes after it dies, if I simply give it lots of gas and restart it it will run fine, sometimes it'll die again.  One time it died, I started it and let it idle.  The idle level was all over the place.  It'd idle really low, like it was gonna die, then the idle would pick up, then it'd get lower again.  It did this a few times, then the idle finally leveled out and the bike ran fine.

She seems to run fine when I put the petcock on PRI, so that's gotta be a clue, right?  The only thing is the petcock itself seems fine, cause it's not leaking fuel into the vacuum line, and I took it apart and the vacuum diaphragm looks fine.

vacuum leak?  something in the carb is gummed up that's related to the vacuum?

IP Logged
conlime
YaBB Newbies

Chicago
Re: bike dies when I let off throttle
Reply #1 - 09/23/09 at 18:29:59

Have had a similar situation. My problem was a unconnected vac seal. Also I had a bad spark plug. Mine wouldn't hardly idle. Took out the spark plug and it indicated dry fouling (tip covered with carbon). So I changed the plug and everything was cool. Take a look.

AS

If you keep throwing yourself into the fire you'll eventually figure out a way to not get burt.
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/23/09 at 18:38:15

Bryan, How many miles? What model? I missed any earlier posts, I guess. If it idles fine on Prime, you have a vacuum or petcock problem. You said it runs fine on prime. You don't have to have gas in vent hoses to have a problem. Mine would quit after drag race starts or over 60 mph for a couple of minutes. Only needed vacuum hose and good clamps.  If it's been sitting, use SeaFoam and ride it normally. It will possibly straighten up. And check the plug.   Boofer

IP Logged
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/23/09 at 18:45:45

2600 miles, I've done sea foam, and a new plug when I bought the bike a few hundred miles ago.  The vacuum line doesn't have any visible cracks but I'll change that next.

The bike seems to run pretty well, it just randomly dies when the petcock is set to On.

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/23/09 at 18:56:57

What model? 2600 miles on a 2000 means carb could be gunked up. Seafoam loose and varnish and it clogs up carb. Help us out, folks. I got nothing.  Boofer

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #5 - 09/23/09 at 21:36:26

OK, because I pull a trailer & push a big fairing, I use a lot of throttle sometimess. A vacuum gauge teed into the petcock hose proved what I suspected, loss of vacuum when you're really pushing it, normal in any engine. With a vacuum operated petcock, it starts to close when you need it open the most. I have ran the last two savages I've owned on the prime position with no problems. I never bother to change it even when parked for a while. If the needle & seat are doing there job, it won't leak fuel. If it leaks, it's time for a new needle & seat.
Just remember to check your fuel level when you do your pre-ride check. You do a pre-ride check, right?
If it runs fine in prime pos., consider the raptor petcock discussed elsewhere on this forum. It's the one that should have been put on from the factory.JMO.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/23/09 at 22:06:58

Next time I go for a top end run, Im putting it on prime.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/24/09 at 07:01:02

qn7qcw7 wrote on 09/23/09 at 18:56:57:
What model? 2600 miles on a 2000 means carb could be gunked up. Seafoam loose and varnish and it clogs up carb. Help us out, folks. I got nothing.  Boofer

It's a 96, so it's sat for a while.  Had less than 2400 miles when I bought it a month or two ago.  When I first got it it ran really rough.  Sea Foam fixed that, but then it started leaking gas from the carb vent hoses, so I took the carb apart and cleaned it.  It still leaked gas, so I adjusted the float, tested the petcock.  Not sure what I did, but it stopped leaking gas.  But now it randomly dies in PRI.

I might end up going with the Raptor, but I just wish I knew what was wrong.  I've got the opposite problem from Ridgerunner; mine dies normally when it's idling or when I let off the throttle.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #8 - 09/24/09 at 07:10:06

The only times mine died at idle I had it set too low. These bikes need to idle faster than I like the sound of for the health of the engine.

Have you tried adjusting the needle under the plug. If you haven't, that may help. It's covered in several other threads here.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/27/09 at 18:29:02

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 09/24/09 at 07:10:06:
The only times mine died at idle I had it set too low. These bikes need to idle faster than I like the sound of for the health of the engine.

Have you tried adjusting the needle under the plug. If you haven't, that may help. It's covered in several other threads here.

Needle under the plug?  Which needle?  If it's something in the carb, I've cleaned it pretty well already...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/27/09 at 18:35:42

he's talking about the idle mixture screw

WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #11 - 10/02/09 at 08:59:08

i've been having the same exact problem....BUT if i adjust the idle screw she's fine. my neighborhood has big speed bumps, i take it easy over them but that plus the vibration could loosen my screw right?

and if she's idling what seems to be a little too fast she's happy.

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/17/10 at 15:36:38

It's been a while since I've last posted about this, but I thought I'd update this in case anyone is having a similar problem.  My solution: I replaced the petcock with the 2003 yamaha raptor 660 petcock a lot of people have mentioned here:

http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/687/SKU/808680

For about $25 (including shipping), all of my problems went away.  My bike runs great, no longer dies intermittently, and doesn't leak fuel from the carburetor vent hoses any more.  This is after trying a bunch of other stuff:

-running Sea Foam through the carburetor a couple times
-completely taking the carburetor apart, cleaning it, and checking/adjusting the float, twice
-taking the old petcock apart, verifying the diaphragm was intact and the fuel screen wasn't clogged
-replacing the fuel and vacuum lines, just to make sure they weren't leaking
-tinkering with the idle to make sure it just wasn't too low

There may be a few things I did I'm forgetting.  At any rate, this problem was driving me nuts and it all went away with one simple part replacement.   Thanks for everyone's help!  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 04/17/10 at 18:10:06

Well, officer, I HAVE to run it wide open. It dies when I let off the throttle..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #14 - 04/17/10 at 19:01:41

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/17/10 at 18:10:06:
Well, officer, I HAVE to run it wide open. It dies when I let off the throttle..

AHAHAHA!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:37:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike dies when I let off throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.