Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
taking bike to dealership for maintenance (Read 320 times)
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Re: taking bike to dealership for maintenance
Reply #15 - 09/24/09 at 10:29:57

man think of all the cases of beers you can buy from saving about 25% of the bikes resale value in money by not taking it to the dealership.

Cheers

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 09/24/09 at 10:38:33

I wouldnt trust a shop unless you know the guy who owns it personally or unless you're riding a $10k + bike. Our little bikes and other similarly small/cheap bikes usually end up with the shop trainee (ie idiot). Before Ineclipse bought a Savage he took his 250 nighthawk to the local shop for a rear tire change. The idiot they had do it was in a hurry i geuss and didnt tighten the axle bolt. A week or so later his chain adjusters (which were bearing all the load since the axle wasnt tightened) broke, his chain jumped sprocket and he came to very abrupt hault in traffic. We found out a couple months later after he got a flat that the idiot had also put in the wrong tube. The tube he had installed was WAY too big and pinched in several places.

The point is, our bike is simple and easy to work on. get a manual, a small tool kit with some feeler gauges, and a funnel. That pretty much all you'll need for basic upkeep. if something actually goes wrong hit us up and we'll get you through it.

IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #17 - 10/07/09 at 16:18:28

Finally got around to adjusting my carb.  The dealership (prob previous owner!) had the pilot screw adjusted five....FIVE full turns out.   Shocked  

No wonder it was backfiring so much!   Frakin nubs.  Angry

I kept turning, and turning, and turning to close that thing up to see where it was!   Grin

I've opened it up to 2.5 turns out.  I quick test rode 1 turn and then half a turn out until I got to 2.5 turns.  It only backfired in a 3rd gear chop once at that adjustment.  It was a really quick ride tho.

I'll ride Suki tomorrow for reals to see how that adjustment fairs.   Smiley

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #18 - 10/12/09 at 19:51:28

kk lewi wrote on 09/23/09 at 17:36:09:
As you all know if I don't have the routine maintenance done by them or a certified Suzuki mechanic I will void the warranty that is left on the bike.

No, we don't all know that.  

Read your warranty paperwork.  That is what you need to KNOW.  You can do whatever it says there, and don't fall for the hype from the crooks at the stealership.  In any case, anything you do that might harm part of the bike would only make the warranty void on those parts, not the entire warranty.  If you screw up the valve adjustment, the warranty is still good on the transmission, clutch, electrics, etc., etc.  In general, service can be done at any state licensed motorcycle repair shop*--be sure a complete description of the work is on the receipt and save the paper--and usually the owner can do oil changes and stuff and save the receipts for the oil & filter.  If you want, do it all, photograph and document what was done, and save those.

*My state, at least, has licensed motor vehicle repair shops.  See if yours does.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:20:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › taking bike to dealership for maintenance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.