Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
taking bike to dealership for maintenance (Read 320 times)
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
taking bike to dealership for maintenance
09/23/09 at 17:36:09

Hellloooo forum peoples!  
It's great to have found this resource.  In fact, this website is probably one of the main reason I purchased my s40.   Smiley
It's great to be here!

Now for my story and question.   Cheesy

I just purchased my bike from a local dealership.  It is an '07 and had 140 miles on it when I bought it.  It had one prior owner.

I got a decent deal and according to the service records I asked for, they did an oil\filter change to her along with their 60 point inspection check (wink, wink) when she was traded in to them.  It was backfiring like crazy when I left so I took her back in for them to check out.   They looked it over and ended up saying the nuts from the head pipe were loose and gave it back to me.

I had already read here that these bikes do backfire often, but I took it back in anyway.  I have since put a couple of hundred miles on her.  It still backfires and I'm certain it needs some carb/spark plug/rejet love.  It does have an aftermarket muffler (Jardine) so that may be some of it too.  

I will be coming up on my 600mile checkup soon, and I'm not real confident that the dealership will do more than change my oil/filter with maybe a few common screws to tighten (although they apparently couldn't be bothered to check it out when the old owner traded it in.  ie loose header pipe nuts).

Now to the meat and potatoes of it.   Stay with me now!    Tongue

They charge $250 to do the routine maintenance called for in the manual.  $250 to change my oil/filter doesn't seem like much of a bargain!   Shocked  Problem is I have 11 months left on the manufacturer warranty.  As you all know if I don't have the routine maintenance done by them or a certified Suzuki mechanic I will void the warranty that is left on the bike.

I'm not an idiot and have the manual so I can tighten what needs tightening and can certainly change the oil/filter.  I think the next routine maintenance is at 1500 or 2500 miles.  2x routine maintenance in the next few months (my primary mode of transportation).  That's $500! (duh)  

Worst case scenario:  I do the maintenance myself and lose the manufacturer warranty.  It locks up (all the manufacturer warranty covers I think) I have to buy a new engine.  I imagine I could get one for a few hundred to five hundred dollars?

Best case scenario:  I do the maintenance, learn a few things and all is good in 11 months.

Intermediate scenario:  I pay the dealership $500 for the routine maintenance.  Bike locks up or doesn't in the next 11 months and is then fixed or still running same.

What do you guy/gals think?  Thanks all

Grin I promise to never write such a long post again!  Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: taking bike to dealership for maintenance
Reply #1 - 09/23/09 at 19:04:49

alrighty lewi  Wink Wink

Tell the dealer you want to inspect the head when they torque the head bolts.  when they call you in... take the head plug and tell 'em to put a new one in.  They most likely won't putt RTV on it so tell 'em to do it.  You don't want it leaking down the road.

WWW   IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/23/09 at 19:10:23

Whenever I have bought anything with a warranty, I asked the service mgr if I could change my own oil. One wanted me to buy his filter with bypass valve (not unreasonable). The others only said to use good quality oil and keep records and receipts, which I do anyway. It couldn't hurt to ask. If you look in the Tech forum at the oil change and other maintainence that $250 will probably make you mad.  Welcome and happy riding.    Boofer

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/23/09 at 19:12:48

I bow to verslagen's superior knowledge on newer bikes. Mine has 9000 miles on it.   Boofer

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #4 - 09/23/09 at 19:45:58

verslagen1 wrote on 09/23/09 at 19:04:49:
alrighty lewi  Wink Wink

Tell the dealer you want to inspect the head when they torque the head bolts.  when they call you in... take the head plug and tell 'em to put a new one in.  They most likely won't putt RTV on it so tell 'em to do it.  You don't want it leaking down the road.

IMHO- I have an 05, all I ever did all it was change oil , oil filter, and check the valves clearance. Plug's leaking! What's that? My haven't leak a drop for the last 4 years. Do the routine maintenance and ride and ride. Unless you do a lot of superslab riding, those head bolts will not go anywhere. Save your money and check the torque on nuts and bolts on your bike. Invest in a torque wrench, it will comes in handy in many occassion.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #5 - 09/23/09 at 20:04:52

SavageDude wrote on 09/23/09 at 19:45:58:
verslagen1 wrote on 09/23/09 at 19:04:49:
alrighty lewi  Wink Wink

...check the valves clearance.

The valves were exactly what I was thinking would need adjusting at the 600mile!  I asked if valve service was included.  He said ehh no....  Undecided  That would be another $200.   Roll Eyes

It actually gets comical in what is being charged and the product that is being offered or even completed.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #6 - 09/23/09 at 20:10:32

lewi
Checking the valves is easy! I did mine twice and found that only the Exhaust ones need to be adjusted Smiley and those valves sit forward of the engine which BTW can be accessed easily. Ka ching $200 saved Cool

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #7 - 09/23/09 at 20:17:36

do it yourself - get a clymers - use this site -  save big $$$
i also have an 07 bought new - have found all the info needed for all the maintenance needed

this bike WILL outlast your warranty

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/23/09 at 20:25:16

Although comical, they are supposed to "check" the valves not adjust.
I suggest you let them "check" the valves and ask them to report on the clearances.  if oh we don't do that then ask them how did they check?  Then ask them if that's what they want on the afidavid?

We'll teach how to adjust the valves when you are ready.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/23/09 at 20:49:46

I'd keep it at home, do the work, use the $$$ saved to buy tools, manual, beer. So far, in the 3 years Ive been on this site, Ive only seen 2 engines screwed up completely. Each was done by a shop. No one here has ruined their own.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #10 - 09/23/09 at 20:59:11

Where do you live? I can get the whole thing done valves and all for a buck twenty five.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 09/24/09 at 09:58:23

Just a comment...I went to the tech ref section, selected the table of contents with links, selected valve adjustment and it took me be back to the homepage...anyone have that link handy???
Thanks

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #12 - 09/24/09 at 10:14:13

Dj12midnit wrote on 09/23/09 at 20:59:11:
Where do you live? I can get the whole thing done valves and all for a buck twenty five.

buck twenty with valve adjust is reasonable.  2 fitty plus 2 for valves is frickin highway robbery.

I live in NC mate.  Eastern NC.
Thx for the reply.   Smiley

IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #13 - 09/24/09 at 10:19:38

Bubba wrote on 09/24/09 at 09:58:23:
Just a comment...I went to the tech ref section, selected the table of contents with links, selected valve adjustment and it took me be back to the homepage...anyone have that link handy???
Thanks

hmmmpf, did the same for me just now.   Undecided  Back to the forum.

link for moderator type people is "adjusting your valves"
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1151938664

IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #14 - 09/24/09 at 10:22:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/23/09 at 20:49:46:
buy ...beer.

Grin  yes indeed  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print