Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
weather proofing the bike (Read 461 times)
jabman

England
weather proofing the bike
09/23/09 at 00:07:51

looking around here I get the impression that the bike doesnt like getting wet

is there anything i can do to make sure the electrical system keeps working in heavy rain

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: weather proofing the bike
Reply #1 - 09/23/09 at 00:48:54

Ive been in a rain so hard that when I got to a stop light & put my feet down, the spark was shocking me. I was really ready for the green light.
Ive never had a problem with it due to rain & Ive been wet quite a few times. Its an 05 with 20,000 miles & its parked under cover, but its seen rain several times.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/23/09 at 03:14:56

I've done perhaps 80 miles of rain riding in the last week.  Runs better in the rain, no trouble at all except that I get wet.  And my bike is now dirty.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/23/09 at 03:44:41

Electrics on the Savage are not noted for crapping out in the rain.

There are other bikes that have shorting issues with rain (water cooled SV650 front spark plug well filling up with water for example) that are completely notorious for their brand/type having a built-in issue.

Our bike is notorious for "just running" in the rain.   Our tank protects our spark electronics and our head's spark plug area is well sheltered from water flow.  Plus, our head is hot enough to instantly evaporate any splash that did make it in there.

Now, you feet and legs will get soaked every time -- no protection there at all.   I have literally poured water out of my shoes when I took them off.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #4 - 09/23/09 at 03:55:06

I'd also like to add, that whatever their other drawbacks, such as small size, and the straps starting to crack almost as soon as you put them on the bike; the Suzuki saddlebags for our bike are pretty good at keeping everything dry when riding in the rain.  I've never had anything get wet in mine yet, except when I open them while it's still coming down. Tongue

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #5 - 09/23/09 at 04:45:55

i have some willie and max bags, after a nice down poor i have a little water at the bottom, not enough to really mess anything up but not totally dry.

i usualy have to take them off every few weeks for a good dry inside

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 09/23/09 at 07:56:15

that was one of the bonuses of me getting ammo boxes to make into saddle bags, i'm pretty sure they are fire resistant as well as waterproof.

as long as i silicone where i drill it should be fine!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #7 - 09/23/09 at 07:59:09

Good to hear the bike will handle the Rain...I got about 5-6 months of it coming my way.

What do you all use to keep your visibility in the rain?
Full face helmet? Goggles? etc.

Please share

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 09/23/09 at 08:00:41

Judging from experience with taillights on RVs, "waterproof" means that once the water gets in it cannot get back out.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #9 - 09/23/09 at 08:23:26

cursal wrote on 09/23/09 at 07:59:09:
Good to hear the bike will handle the Rain...I got about 5-6 months of it coming my way.

What do you all use to keep your visibility in the rain?
Full face helmet? Goggles? etc.

Please share

I found a good rainsuit works well to keep the water off of me, and the visibility goes up with reflective surfaces.
I use and like the Tourmaster Defender
, you get pants with it, and they are affordable.

The Tourmaster Elite is nice too, but I couldn't see spending more for the extra pockets and the kevlar paded pants are an extra cost! For the price of the pants I got the Defender set (jacket and pants)I expect to buy a new rainsuit every few years from wear and tear, and the defender is nicer and cheaper than Frogg Toggs.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/23/09 at 08:30:48

Charon wrote on 09/23/09 at 08:00:41:
Judging from experience with taillights on RVs, "waterproof" means that once the water gets in it cannot get back out.

Thats such a perfect definition of Waterproof..

If its cold at all I put my feet up on the engine when its raining.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #11 - 09/23/09 at 08:55:23

I use a full helmet and a fog city or pro grip visor insert. its a piece of clear plastic with sticky edges that fits on the inside of your visor and gives it 'double glazing' which stops and I mean stops the visor misting up from your breath, even when fully down.  on the outside of the visor I use a anti-misting spray that helps rain form into drops and run off

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 09/23/09 at 18:51:47

Teknic Thunder waterproof full gauntlet gloves, got them for 30 bucks on sale, while mostly waterproof the other important thing is, they do feature a 1" squeegee / face shield wiper on each index finger which is good if you need to immediately clear your field of vision for a few seconds in pouring rain.

-Pabst

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 09/23/09 at 21:06:21

I just wear a decent leather glove, not the El Cheapo leather gloves that are tanned with toxic chemicals, get vegetable tanned leather gloves, the hands absorb chemicals nicely. A leather glove works like a pretty good squeegee for the visor.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 09/23/09 at 22:17:34

My bike came weather proofed.
Don't you know?  It never rains in So. Calif.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 09:44:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › weather proofing the bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.