Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
weather proofing the bike (Read 461 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: weather proofing the bike
Reply #15 - 09/23/09 at 22:48:17

You could make a bazillion dollars if you could invent a clip-on visor wiper for $30.00...

I know I'd go out and steal one, right away... Huh

BTW,... my spell checker sees "bazillion" as a correctly spelled word?.. Undecided

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #16 - 09/23/09 at 22:56:31

At Aerostitch, you can get a neat little rubber squeegie that clips on to the index finger and can wipe the rain off of the visor-$16.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 09/23/09 at 23:01:31

Nope,.. has to clip on, and run automatic....

on batteries,... or maybe air power,... you could blow in a straw... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #18 - 09/24/09 at 04:51:22

Put me on the list when they get invented, that would be awsome . I dont like my visor, and the only time i get to wear it, i cant see out of it because of rain.

i like the straw power idea, no batteries required!

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 09/25/09 at 09:29:55

air power! thats it!
put a windmill type fan blade on the top of your helmet with linkage to do the back and forth motion!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 09/25/09 at 10:58:49

gerald.hughes wrote on 09/23/09 at 22:56:31:
At Aerostitch, you can get a neat little rubber squeegie that clips on to the index finger and can wipe the rain off of the visor-$16.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/gerald_hughes/Wiper.jpg

I bet I can get a short strip of an old windshield wiper mounted up for less. Hekkuvanidea there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #21 - 09/25/09 at 11:31:11

Give it a week or so, check fleabay, and that dude (you know, the one who steals ideas) will have something for sale....

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 09/26/09 at 06:56:40

I've got a little bit of a rain rig.  Stock windshield, Fieldsheer jacket (seems waterproof), water resistant pants, gaiters, boots with Johnson's paste wax warmed into them, and my hands eventually get wet.  I also have plywood on the left side of the engine crash guard that blows spray to the outside a bit.  Eventually I get wet.  The bike doesn't seem to get particularly wet in any electrical areas.  

I don't like the short fenders.  Crap comes up off the road from the front tire.  The short rear fender lets crap build up on that shelf in front of it.  

A little larger windshield and better leggings would make it really water resistant.

Anything that fills with water I drill a hole in.  Sometimes without removing from the machine.  My car headlights generally end up with drain holes unless the shell is all glass.  So far, nothing to drill on Suzi.  Water drains right out.

I'm thinking I'll get a Volusia though - Ms. Gianna seems to like the back seat a bunch, but she's (don't tell her) a bit thicker than ideal for the little bike.  I don't believe she'd go for allowing a thinner, lighter substitute.  Although I think wearing leather would allow me to find one.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
whistler2000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 09/27/09 at 13:21:35

My '87 doesn't like the rain at all! She'll run for about 5 minutes, then quits. After 15 minutes, she'll start and run another 5 minutes. Long enough to make a long walk back (not to mention the good soaking I get pushing her back). After the rain quits and it dries a bit and off we go with no problems at all! Did I mention she is bobbed a bit.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 09/27/09 at 15:35:41

Whistler, IDK what is exposed on yours that isnt on a stocker, but seriously, Ive been so soaked I was getting shocked by the ignition when I put feet down at a stop & it never died.
You may have a connector not closed all the way, getting wet inside.The One under the tank is a biggee.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #25 - 09/27/09 at 15:46:08

i have a 2003 that is unstoppable in the rain... literally - i need better tires.  Undecided i've ridden in some terrible down pours and the engine will not quit. a front fender is a must, otherwise you get a neat arc of water spraying out and then right back in your face. mine is bobbed, so its a little worse than stock, but i just deal with getting soaked. the best thing i found for visibility is a full face with goggles/clear glasses. that way you can pop the visor up to shield your face from the rain while the goggles protect your eye from wind and debris.

-G

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 09/27/09 at 16:55:17

If you live in a rainy place & ride in the rain enough to be willing to  (possibly) buy tires that get less than optimal mileage, you might want some soft compound, sticky tires. For all I know a good quality tire can deliver high mileage AND good grip in the rain. I would look at Metzler, I think they make as good a tire as can be had for a bike, but only from what Ive heard, Ive never had one. I hear good things about Mercedes, too, & tho Ive paid for a few, Ive never driven one. Ive never even gotten a Thank You note from a Dr after making a years worth of payments on his.
The stock tires sucked on dry pavement, on wet it was somewhere between comical & terrifying, depending on how brave I was feeling.
Thankfully, iot went away in 5,000 miles.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #27 - 09/27/09 at 17:28:32

I tried Rainex on the faceshield once or twice to see if it helped but I didn't see any improvement when it rained. Now I put on a pair of dark glasses and crack the faceshield open halfway. The glasses keep the rain out of my eyes and the faceshield acts as a visor to keep the rain off my face. I haven't had any electrical problems from rain but the bike starts to run rough after only 5-10 miles. My guess is that I'm getting water on the air filter because the airbox door is drilled out. Beside that a pair of chaps keeps keeps the rain from running down my legs and filling up my boots. A bandana tied to my wrist is a good faceshield wiper but I do think a mini squegee is a cool idea. Hows about a mini windshield wiper that mounts on the helmet with suction cups.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #28 - 09/28/09 at 02:02:55

the route MT66's have a very high tread amount which is why i bought them over the metzelers

they hold very well in all weather

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #29 - 09/29/09 at 02:21:31

My winter gloves have squegees built into the back of both thumbs, and they work great in the rain, although when it lets up and you're getting road spray from other cars, it tends to just smear it around. Tongue  I've seen some with the squegees on the index finger, and that might actually be more comfy to use.  After having them though, I wouldn't ride in the rain without them. Smiley

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 11:49:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › weather proofing the bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.