Winter time mods? (Read 155 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Winter time mods?
09/22/09 at 09:18:54

Newbie here, got my bike last week....LOVE it! Believe it or not the snow is already flying in Colorado...isn't it September???
Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has seen this Savage/S40 mod package on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-SAVAGE-LS650-S40-MAXIMUM-PERFORMANCE-PA...
I e-mailed the seller and asked for specifics such as jet sizes and such but haven't heard back. I'm thinking this may be a pretty good deal since it seems to give me the stuff I want at a decent price. Is this the way to go or should I do things one at a time??? I really would prefer NOT to cook my engine. Any helpful tips from anyone???
Thanks,

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Winter time mods?
Reply #1 - 09/22/09 at 09:25:32

First, most people on this forum have a general consensus that the seller of those items is not exactly a "trusted" source and others have had problems.

Keep watching fleabay for a used hd takeoff muffler (just make sure it's not one with the crossover piper - won't work) - putting on a new muffler, will usually take some fabrication for the mount, but there's lots of info on these boards to help you out.

Not sure what everyone else is using for air filters, but there are other sources for them as well.

And for your souce of jets, LANCER is the guy who can take care of getting you exactly what you want. (He sells a jet kit on fleabay as well)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #2 - 09/22/09 at 20:36:18

I think this guy rip-off the ideas from this forum and try to make a profit for himself.  Nothing wrong with that but credit should be given where it's due. Buy parts from people that support this forum and stay away from him.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/22/09 at 22:59:12

Yeah,... he's selling you a $15 dollar filter, a $25 dollar muffler, and a $5 dollar jet for $100 dollars...
that leaves $50 for the CD... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #4 - 09/23/09 at 01:24:53

Serowbot wrote on 09/22/09 at 22:59:12:
Yeah,... he's selling you a $15 dollar filter, a $25 dollar muffler, and a $5 dollar jet for $100 dollars...
that leaves $50 for the CD... Huh

I wonder if it's anything like SavageGreg's CD... or even the actual item?

Anyone ever peruse that guys negative feedbacks?  His replies contain just a tad bit of, umm... "attitude". Roll Eyes

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 09/23/09 at 02:39:55

Bubba wrote on 09/22/09 at 09:18:54:
Newbie here, got my bike last week....LOVE it! Believe it or not the snow is already flying in Colorado...isn't it September???
Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has seen this Savage/S40 mod package on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-SAVAGE-LS650-S40-MAXIMUM-PERFORMANCE-PA...
I e-mailed the seller and asked for specifics such as jet sizes and such but haven't heard back. I'm thinking this may be a pretty good deal since it seems to give me the stuff I want at a decent price. Is this the way to go or should I do things one at a time??? I really would prefer NOT to cook my engine. Any helpful tips from anyone???
Thanks,

Well, you could try the cheaper solution...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-SAVAGE-LS650-PERFORMANCE-UPGRADE-GUIDE-...

IIRC this is just a copy&paste job from this very Forum  ! Angry

The point is, someone shoulkd fork out the $2 and download his "bag o'tricks" and have hard evidence to confront him as a [possible] CH3AT

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 09/23/09 at 06:22:52

I DID read some of the negative feedback...he seems to be a little (how shall I say it...) high strung!!!! LOL
Anyway, I'll stick to the forum and keep browsing for deals to take it slow.
I'm wondering tho'...what's the first step to make the bike not run so lean? I'm getting some blueing on the header pipe and would like to minimize some of that.
Plus, if I can get it to run cooler that would ease my mind as far as reliabilty.
Stock air filter and muffler...what should I do to?
Thanks all,

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/23/09 at 08:50:40

Older Savages were jetted a lot closer to right. Now, they are set up lean to pass EPA regulations. So, lean is hot. Rejet, adjust the little screw under the cap (~~ 1/4", brass).

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 09/23/09 at 09:48:36

Thanks Justin, are we talkin' the little screw in the right side of the carb? If so it looks as if someone already pulled the brass cover off it (there's a tiny little flathead screw in there). 1/4 turn CW or CCW?
Sorry, I keep hearing about this brass plug on the carb but can't find one anywhere on the right side of the carb... Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/23/09 at 09:56:19

Before you fiddle with it, gently, ever so gently, close it, CW, & count the turns, so you can put it back where it came from if you manage to mangle the adjustment.
Then, open it back up to where it is now. Go for a ride & get it fully warmed up. When you get to a stop, lean over & open it up 1/8th turn & ride on. Play with it a while. Some have cautioned against opening more than a few turns & suggested that if you need to open it more than 3 (? was that it? ) turns yo0u should rejet the pilot. Not exactly sure why..AFAIC, If the thing will tune to run the way you want it, I dont see why it should be re jetted.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 09/23/09 at 10:01:19

Perfect....I'll give it a go this weekend...
I'm assuming the screw you talking about is the brass one on the right side of the carb...right?
Thanks

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 09/23/09 at 10:22:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/23/09 at 09:56:19:
Some have cautioned against opening more than a few turns & suggested that if you need to open it more than 3 (? was that it? ) turns yo0u should rejet the pilot. Not exactly sure why..

Any more than 3 turns out, and you're getting close to loosing it... at that point the passage is pretty much fully open anyway... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 01:29:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Winter time mods?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.