Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New Bike Break-in and Recommendations? (Read 381 times)
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Re: New Bike Break-in and Recommendations?
Reply #15 - 04/08/12 at 03:44:17

Parts store had an Altrom brand washer. Supposed to be OEM style.

Surprised how clean drain plug magnet was at only 200 miles on motor. I figured there would be lots of metal on the plug, but almost no metal is what I found. Guess the Lucas break-in additive really works?   Wink

2015 S40 (Pearl Moon Stone Gray)
OEM Pillow Seat - OEM Windshield

"Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures."
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #16 - 04/08/12 at 15:59:15

Buster wrote on 04/08/12 at 03:44:17:
Parts store had an Altrom brand washer. Supposed to be OEM style.

http://partimages.genpt.com/largeimages/988601.jpg

Surprised how clean drain plug magnet was at only 200 miles on motor. I figured there would be lots of metal on the plug, but almost no metal is what I found. Guess the Lucas break-in additive really works?   Wink

Don't misunderstand the purpose of a magnetic drain plug. They are used to collect any metal that may have been floating around inside the engine from day one.
If the plug would ever collect any obvious metal that actually wore off of the engine parts during brake in....or any other time, I'm afraid you (your engine) could be in serious trouble, and would likely live a very short life.
Not that the plug couldn't pickup chips off a tranny gear and the tranny still survive. I myself don't find them necessary because they don't pick up non ferros metal, which is the most likely to be floating around,.....but which is the least harmful too.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #17 - 04/08/12 at 23:19:58

I put a small round magnet inside the spring pushing on the oil filter.   It allways has "particles" on it when I change it.

Congradulations on the NEW bike.   These bikes are the simple-est and funnest things on two wheels.

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 04/09/12 at 03:10:51

MMRanch wrote on 04/08/12 at 23:19:58:
I put a small round magnet inside the spring pushing on the oil filter.   It allways has "particles" on it when I change it.

Congradulations on the NEW bike.   These bikes are the simple-est and funnest things on two wheels.

Smiley

I wondered about a filter magnet since my factory drain plug magnet is so small, but a small magnet is better than no magnet at all. I think they're a good thing. I've seen GM trucks with OEM installed drain plug magnets and after 200,000 miles you can still wipe a tiny smear of "metal" off the plug when draining the oil. Can't be metal that was left in there when engine was first built. Not that it's going to double the life of the engine, but I figure any metal that the filter misses and the magnet collects is metal that won't be floating around and contaminating the oil for a few thousand miles until drained out. Suzuki decided to put a magnet in the drain plug, for some reason.

And I agree with you about these being fun bikes. Going to ride mine 150-200 miles tomorrow...that should let me know if I need to invest in a Corbin seat or not.

« Last Edit: 04/09/12 at 14:47:10 by Buster »  

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #19 - 04/09/12 at 05:51:29

Forgetting that this is motorcycle engines and not automotive, there will be more metal in the oil because of the wet clutch. But we are still talking smears, not obvious particles.
If anyone finds particles,......please tell me where they are comming from, other than from an engine that is disintigrating. Shocked    

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 04/09/12 at 14:56:17

Routy wrote on 04/09/12 at 05:51:29:
Forgetting that this is motorcycle engines and not automotive, there will be more metal in the oil because of the wet clutch. But we are still talking smears, not obvious particles.
If anyone finds particles,......please tell me where they are comming from, other than from an engine that is disintigrating. Shocked    

Agreed. Normal wear metal that just puts a tiny bit of goo on a magnet is the good kind of wear - a 1/4" chunk of cam lobe wouldn't be good. Still don't want it running around loose, whatever it looks like - Doesn't make much sense to have metal contamination, if you can avoid it. About like saying I'm only going to change oil filter 1/3 as often as needed...because I haven't yet seen concrete proof that a little bit of extra dirt makes these engines die an early death. And besides all that, my magnetic plug came factory installed...I'm not about to throw it away for no good reason.  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 04/12/12 at 01:29:44 by Buster »  

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #21 - 04/09/12 at 15:02:41

Be careful with the tires the first 100 miles or so. There is some kind of slick stuff on them to help them pop out of the mold when being manufactured.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #22 - 04/10/12 at 11:28:12

Can anyone show me a study that verifies bearded magnets make engines last longer?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 04/10/12 at 12:11:04

Gyrobob wrote on 04/10/12 at 11:28:12:
Can anyone show me a study that verifies bearded magnets make engines last longer?

If that's your position... why run a filter at all?

Studies have shown that particles of a certain size (no, I don't remember the size, but I'm thinking 15µ) exceed the boundary layer (something like 10µ) of oil imparting damage to engine parts.

Common filter will only take out 20 to 40µ particles.

So given all the crap flowing thru your oil, why would you complain about a one time buy vs. a maintenance buy that will extend the life of at least the filter?  Bysides sucking out all ferris metal particles of all sizes?

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #24 - 04/10/12 at 19:08:09

verslagen1 wrote on 04/10/12 at 12:11:04:
Gyrobob wrote on 04/10/12 at 11:28:12:

If that's your position... why run a filter at all?

Studies have shown that particles of a certain size (no, I don't remember the size, but I'm thinking 15µ) exceed the boundary layer (something like 10µ) of oil imparting damage to engine parts.

Common filter will only take out 20 to 40µ particles.

So given all the crap flowing thru your oil, why would you complain about a one time buy vs. a maintenance buy that will extend the life of at least the filter?  Bysides sucking out all ferris metal particles of all sizes?

Jeezzz.  No complaints!  No opinions.  All I did was ask a simple question.  Are there any studies that show any improvement from using a magnet?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 04/10/12 at 19:30:51

I am a magnet proponent, but to answer the question you asked ...

No, there are no studies in a bike engine that say filtering all the minute particles out of the oil make a bike engine last any longer than a bike engine is expected to last.  Such studies would be rebuild to rebuild type studies and nobody does that on bikes.

But really now, how long is a bike expected to last?  10-20,000 miles?  Bikes really generally don't last very long before their owners kill them by neglect.   Savage owners expect their engines to last a lot longer than other small bike owners do and we tend to do some things to make that come to pass.

There ARE studies on the big diesel engines in big trucks, locomotives & ships and such that show that fine particulate removal is very helpful keeping engine oil clean and useable much longer than normal -- and they do track ferrous contaminations, aluminum skirt contaminations, bearing metal contaminations, etc. etc. as their goal on these engines is to go as far as possible between major rebuilds.  

If the oil lasts longer, the engine lasts longer -- that is the expectation these guys run under as they can test and examine the oil fairly easily and frequently to predict the wear levels inside the engine.

BUT, reality says the only plain bearing that we have in the Savage that would demonstratively benefit from better filtration is the aluminum cam bearings in the head.   We kill the cam bearings by oil starvation and low idle speeds, so those bearings never live long enough to get eat up with them little ferrous bits.

We do have piston skirts though, just like the big diesel engines do.  And we do wear them out and get a case of the slaps at 30-40,000 miles.   Could better filtration help here?     Mebbe.

You can save some money on filter changes with a supermagnet on your oil filter as you can run the filter for 2 years.   Big deal -- that's really small potatoes compared to the cost of keeping the bike running with tires and insurance and gas and all.

So, why do it?

Just because we want to -- same reason as all the rest of the mods we do.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #26 - 04/10/12 at 19:41:13

Well if ya want to, I suppose we can split the thread into Schmagnet War II.  

I don't need a study to tell me that particles abrading against engine parts of like hardness (or lesser hardness.. aluminum) causes them to wear out sooner by at least some small amount.  

We acknowledge that the benefit of running schmagnets might well be trivial and less than the statistical error inherent to a scientific study. As a gyrocopter pilot, you run engines a certain number of hours and rebuild them before they are in danger of failing, right? How's about running one cycle with schmagnets and one without, and tell US how little benefit there is. Weigh the parts before and after 1000 hours flight time (or whatever the life is), stick one of Oldfeller's donut magnets on the oil filter and tell us the difference.

Frankly I was surprised when I read that consumer reports article where they did just that.. ran oil for 3000 and 6000 miles, weighed the pistons, rings, etc. before and after... and found little difference.  Maybe you can do the same to debunk the schmagnets.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 04/10/12 at 19:43:32

Do auto manufacturers use smagnets?

Yep, in transmissions.  Not in engines -- go figure.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #28 - 04/10/12 at 19:49:07

Husqvarna uses a magnetized drain plug.. stock.. for their engine/transmission oil.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 04/10/12 at 20:53:15

Boule’tard wrote on 04/10/12 at 19:41:13:
Frankly I was surprised when I read that consumer reports article where they did just that.. ran oil for 3000 and 6000 miles, weighed the pistons, rings, etc. before and after... and found little difference.  Maybe you can do the same to debunk the schmagnets.

6k miles? betcha they didn't even find .001" wear.  that'll amount to a couple of feathers.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:55:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Bike Break-in and Recommendations?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.