My wife lost her keys! (Read 176 times)
delete me
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

My wife lost her keys!
09/21/09 at 16:09:51

2006 LS650

I called up the dealer and they told me to bring the ignition lock in.  So I took the one screw out and that's as far as I got.

I guess I don't have the right tools.  What should I use to get the seat off?  The backrest is in the way of every tool I have.  What is the exact size of that hex screw?

« Last Edit: 09/24/09 at 12:24:19 by delete me »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My wife lost her keys!
Reply #1 - 09/21/09 at 16:12:08

Are you saying you only had one set? Or that there were 2 keys on the key ring & lost them both? No matter... If you only have 1 key to start anything, better get a duplicate. If you have 2, better not keep them together.
IDK how to solve your problem, but thats how you avoid a repeat.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sproutjw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/21/09 at 16:29:43

You need the tools in the tool kit.  Where ever you bought the bike go back get the vin and get a set of keys unless its stolen LOL

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/21/09 at 16:35:57

delete me wrote on 09/21/09 at 16:09:51:
2006 SV650

I called up the dealer and they told me to bring the ignition lock in.  So I took the one screw out and that's as far as I got.

I guess I don't have the right tools.  What should I use to get the seat off?  The backrest is in the way of every tool I have.  What is the exact size of that hex screw?

This a sv650 or the ls650?

Not sure about the sv but the ls should have the key code stamped on the ignition cylinder.  Look on the bottom, on the '02 it was very faintly stamped on a black rectangle.  You should be able to tell any locksmith that code and get a key.

So, if you don't have a spare key, at least write down that key code.

WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #4 - 09/21/09 at 16:41:02

2 10 MM bolts at the rear of the front seat. The hex bolt at the back is 5 mm (I think)., When you hit the seat cushion, push it in and you'll be able to continue spinning.

To pull the seat off once you get the 3 bolts removed, Lift the rear of the seat. You'll have to slide it to the left or right side, and most likely push on the sissybar pad itself to let the silver mount pass past.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #5 - 09/21/09 at 19:40:57

I got a duplicate key for my '04 ordered at a Suzuki dealership with my VIN # and proof of ownership. It was expensive, but at the time it was either that or be without for several weeks. BTW small shops will tell you you've got to re-key all 3 locks and want to make their money on the labor. Call around to the bigger dealerships until you find someone who knows how to order the replacement key. It took me 3 shops before I found one willing to do it.

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/21/09 at 20:48:22

I agree with verslagen1. Just for kicks call a competent locksmith and explain the situation. He can probably use the numbers to make a key
that will work.

Bought daughter Honda ATV. Had only one key. Passed a big dealer the other day. With key they want $30 to cut one. Called locksmith 20 miles away. Didn't even hesitate. "Bring your key and I can cut you one for $3."

Let's see. I get 55 mpg, nice ride, good folks (Used them before), 40 miles round trip. Divide that by 55, multiply by $30, count blood pressure pills from dealing with dealer, allow for 1% tax difference since it's out of state, and gas is 3 cents a gal cheaper, so I'll top off tank while there. That comes to a savings of around $436. Don't thank me. I love doing math and helping others.    Boofer

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #7 - 09/21/09 at 21:06:53

And if you trailer, keep a set of keys in the glove box of your tow vehicle.
I keep a set for both bikes there, on a keychain with the keys for the receiver pin and trailer hitch locks.

No, I will not tell you what lead to this amazing discovery!   Grin

If you don't follow this advice, this might be the only riding you can do!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 09/22/09 at 13:32:59

i  took my ignition off and took it to the local loaksmith.   cheep, quick. got several extra in te prolcesss

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
delete me
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/24/09 at 12:26:57

My bad...  it's a 2006 LS650.

The guy I bought the bike from was nice enough to strip the rear seat screw, that's why I was having problems figuring out what size allen to use.  I ended up taking a hack saw to it, cutting a slot, then using a sharp chisel (with vice grips) as a screwdriver.

Took the ignition lock to the dealer and they couldn't help.  No code stamped on it.  So I'm off to the lock smith next.

The dealer did give me a blank key for it though...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 09/24/09 at 14:33:35

You could take the lock cylinder apart ^& remove the little plates that ride the key. The you blank key would operate it. Who would know a screwdriver would start it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/24/09 at 21:09:06

The locksmith can take it apart, add "pins" and match key to these.   Boofer

IP Logged
delete me
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/25/09 at 12:55:18

$36 plus $3.50 per key.  Now all I need is to get a super big key ring and a small brick!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 20:41:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My wife lost her keys!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.