spark plug? (Read 165 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
spark plug?
09/21/09 at 09:17:46

do u have to remove the tank to remove the spark plug? might be a stupid question but i'm just wondering!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: spark plug?
Reply #1 - 09/21/09 at 09:47:50

Yup,... Until you toss those chrome head covers...   Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #2 - 09/21/09 at 09:58:21

serowbot, i somehow feel we're related! lol

i was snoopin around her and thought, if these friggin things weren't there it'd be easy! lol!!!

i am in the process of either painting or tossing them, i think i'm goin to do the ammo box saddle bags first =]

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/21/09 at 10:25:55

Mine are still there, but missing a bolt, so it swings out. I did put a short chunk of bolt in the hole, for a stob to go in the hole & stabilize the thing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #4 - 09/21/09 at 11:55:21

Serowbot wrote on 09/21/09 at 09:47:50:
Yup,... Until you toss those chrome head covers...   Wink

Whattttttt! Once you remove it for the very first time, don't reinstall the rear bolt. You only need the front one to keep the cover stay-put. Mine havn't come loose in the last 5,000 miles. In addition, if you want to remove the spark plug using the tool that comes with the bike, cut off 1/2 " on the top. You should be able to remove that spark plug w/o ever have to remove the tank Wink

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/21/09 at 12:14:46

If you want to remove the spark plug using the tool that comes with the bike, cut off 1/2 " on the top.

Ahh HA!!! ( Palm slaps forehead) Now why didn IIIII Think of that??

Coolniss..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/21/09 at 13:23:06

[quote author=6B747275686F5E6E5E66747833010 link=1253549866/0#5 date=1253560486 ... Now why didn IIIII Think of that?? [/quote]

Likewise.

Good idea. I've got the chrome covers off of mine and I still can't get to the plug. I think 1" off might make it even easier though.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #7 - 09/21/09 at 13:43:08

lol i don't have any of the tools that the bike came with, which i heard wasn't a bad thing! in my bar bag i have a 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, flashlight, tire gauge, zip ties, fuses and a crushed dew can for the kickstand.....waaay better!

would i have to use barbeque paint on the head covers? black and silver seem to be my theme so black head with silver tank sounds good to me!!

OR if i use reg paint will it be all peeling and ratty? cuz i'd hate for that 2 happen !  Grin

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #8 - 09/21/09 at 13:53:44

I made the "door mod" in order to remove the sparkplug w/o having to take off the gas tank
...but guess what, there's still not enough space!  (well at least not for MY tools)

So I just perfected the "pull tank to the left then pull up" trick, still
kinda annoying but gets easier every time, it takes me 2 minutes
to remove seat, hoses, speedo cable, tank and spark plug now.

** in the business we call this: "the Japanese engineer syndrome"
in which japanese designers and engineers assume we all have
fine little japanese hands with perfect slim little fingers and a
complete assortment of space aged flexible tools to work on
our bikes with, so they just pack everything in impossibly small
spaces with no remorse whatsoever, go figure! Wink

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #9 - 09/21/09 at 14:11:15

I cut the front bolt out and changed it to go from the top down. I put a thin nut in there and now it is totally secure and easy to take off to get to the plug. I cut it out with a jig saw, and a REALLY good blade.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #10 - 09/21/09 at 15:47:23

BurnPgh wrote on 09/21/09 at 13:23:06:
[quote author=6B747275686F5E6E5E66747833010 link=1253549866/0#5 date=1253560486 ... Now why didn IIIII Think of that??

Likewise.

Good idea. I've got the chrome covers off of mine and I still can't get to the plug. I think 1" off might make it even easier though. [/quote]

That's even better! I was too chicken to cut off that much. I wanted to make sure that the wrench which come with the kit can grab firmly on the plug's tool.  Smiley I had to do a few wierd movements (up this way then down that way) to get the darn tool on the plug. I guess that I'm used to working on things this way because as a aircraft mechanic, I often have to work on stuffs that you don't have the luxury of space and actually see what's you're doing. So over the years, I learned to take thing slowly and approach it from different angles

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/21/09 at 16:14:34

So over the years, I learned to take thing slowly and approach it from different angles.

You learned that from airplanes? Not where I learned it,,,

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 12/10/09 at 21:37:27

Rocco wrote on 09/21/09 at 09:17:46:
do u have to remove the tank to remove the spark plug? might be a stupid question but i'm just wondering!

While I realize that there are differences from bike to bike, I've never had to remove the tank from mine (see signature) to get to the spark plug.....even when I still had the OEM petcock on there.

Here's what I do:

1.  Remove the seat.

2.  Remove the two bolts from the rear of the fuel tank.

3.  Remove all lines (fuel and vacuum (if you still have one)) from the petcock.

4.  Move the fuel tank back and up.  Prop up the rear of the tank with a short section of 4" X 4".  This will keep the tank out of your way.

5.  Remove the left beauty cover.

Slap a wobble adapter on your 3/8" drive ratchet.  Pop an 18mm deep-well socket on the adapter and you've now got access to the spark plug.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:35:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › spark plug?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.