Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brake pads (Read 479 times)
fretman

'07 S40

Brooklyn, NYC
Brake pads
09/20/09 at 09:30:39

My (stock) front brake pads are shot, after just 1,300 miles.  Is that OK?  I see some people sayin' they got 4 or 5k miles before replacing.  

I ordered some EBC FA106 to replace, after reading some related threads on the forum.  Still a good choice, I hope!?

white spaced, idle mix screwed,
dyna muffed, tkat braced!
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: Brake pads
Reply #1 - 09/20/09 at 09:38:14

Man! You need to learn how to use engine-braking and rear brake more often. Of course, 70% of braking power comes from front brake; so it wear out faster. But at 1500 miles, that is excessive!

Ride tall

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/20/09 at 09:40:39

either you're doing a lot of heavy braking or your pads are dragging.
can you spin the wheel and it go for a bit or does it stop immediately?
bleed your brakes would be a 1st step, change the fluid a second, and rebuild the caliper would be my 3rd step.  If you had air in the line it would make the lever spongy, but also would heat up and put residual pressure on the pad.

WWW   IP Logged
fretman

'07 S40

Brooklyn, NYC
Reply #3 - 09/20/09 at 09:45:31

I've actually only put 450 miles on it myself, so it may or may not be from my braking technique.  I'd like to think not, as I'm pretty good about using rear braking... I'll check some of the other ideas posted as well, thanks.  In any case I'l have brand new ones on in a few days!  Smiley

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #4 - 09/20/09 at 14:25:28

my brakes rubbed really bad to the point of overheating and locking up.  the tiny hole in the master was blocked and not releasing pressure in the hose when you let go of the brake

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/20/09 at 16:56:41

I had to replace the stock brakes on my bike around 2000 miles, I know the owner before me was hard on it, told me he had it up to 95 mph in totally stock shape, I think he was trying to impress me, you know, "salesmenship" or something, I now have 5200 miles on the bike and the pads I put on, the same you are getting, are still looking pretty good, I'm starting to learn engine braking a bit, I still like using the rear brake so the light comes on and traffic knows I'm slowing down, even new, the brake pads look thin

IP Logged
fretman

'07 S40

Brooklyn, NYC
Reply #6 - 09/21/09 at 09:48:02

Haven't checked for rubbing etc... yet, but another thing crossed my mind - myself, and the previous owner, both live and ride in NYC, where it's stop and go ALL the time. Might that be a factor in the (short) pad life as well?

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #7 - 09/21/09 at 10:37:34

fretman wrote on 09/21/09 at 09:48:02:
where it's stop and go ALL the time. Might that be a factor in the (short) pad life as well?

My OEM pads lasted 3380 miles and I just replaced a set of EBCs which had 5506 miles on them.  I'd say my driving is about 85% stop-and-go city traffic.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/21/09 at 11:10:25

When in traffic I ride with two fingers on the brake lever. Are you doing this and "riding" the brakes unconshusley unknciously unconciouly WITHOUT KNOWING IT?

And rare in new hose, but hoses sometimes collapse inside letting pressure through and only letting off slowly.   Boofer

IP Logged
fretman

'07 S40

Brooklyn, NYC
Reply #9 - 09/21/09 at 14:17:35

qn7qcw7 wrote on 09/21/09 at 11:10:25:
When in traffic I ride with two fingers on the brake lever. Are you doing this and "riding" the brakes unconshusley unknciously unconciouly WITHOUT KNOWING IT?

And rare in new hose, but hoses sometimes collapse inside letting pressure through and only letting off slowly.   Boofer

I pretty much cover the clutch and brake constantly, cuz the driving conditions here are so insane.  I could well be "riding" them, I'll take a look at that, and the other possibilites mentioned, then I'll see how my new EBC's hold up!  Thanks.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #10 - 09/21/09 at 20:10:02

Quote:
My (stock) front brake pads are shot, after just 1,300 miles.

How shot is shot?  The lining is normally thin when new, and the book calls for replacement when the lining is worn down to 1mm thickness remaining.

My pads @ 4500 miles were still good, but I put the EBC pads on to cure the squeal.  Rear is excellent at that mileage, also.

Front braking is good.  Too much rear braking is asking for a slide.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #11 - 09/21/09 at 20:17:11

I made it roughly 9000 on mine. I do half and half, but I like to keep some distance and idle it up to the stop.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
fretman

'07 S40

Brooklyn, NYC
Reply #12 - 09/22/09 at 16:42:49

PTRider wrote on 09/21/09 at 20:10:02:
Quote:
My (stock) front brake pads are shot, after just 1,300 miles.

How shot is shot?  The lining is normally thin when new, and the book calls for replacement when the lining is worn down to 1mm thickness remaining.

My pads @ 4500 miles were still good, but I put the EBC pads on to cure the squeal.  Rear is excellent at that mileage, also.

Front braking is good.  Too much rear braking is asking for a slide.

It's all new to me, so I asked my mechanic, and he proclaimed that they were "shot". I don't think they're down to 1mm yet, and I'm sure I could get a few more miles before they're truly useless.  They are squealing quite a bit though...

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 09/22/09 at 16:54:50

The stock pads will squeal.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #14 - 09/22/09 at 23:58:24

i use HH sintered pads (not suzuki pads), freshly stripped master cylinder and calliper with new seals, race quality brake fluid and a stainless steel braided hose.  zero sponge and lots of stopping power.

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:25:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake pads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.