Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brake pads (Read 479 times)
fretman

'07 S40

Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Brake pads
Reply #15 - 09/24/09 at 18:30:34

OK!  Yeah these are shot. Just about 1mm left, pretty close to bein' metal on metal.  The wheel spun fine - I'm gonna assume it was the PO's braking style that did 'em in!  Cheesy  In any case, the EBC FA106's are now on, and quiet as a church mouse.  Hallelujah!

« Last Edit: 09/25/09 at 11:31:00 by fretman »  

white spaced, idle mix screwed,
dyna muffed, tkat braced!
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #16 - 09/25/09 at 09:45:03

Wow!  Makes me wanna run home and check mine!  I'm at a little over 4k miles, bought it with less than 3k... not sure if they are stock or not.  But they aren't making any noise and seem to work ok.  Thanks for the pic!
~

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #17 - 09/27/09 at 07:10:31

LostArtist wrote on 09/20/09 at 16:56:41:
I'm starting to learn engine braking a bit, I still like using the rear brake so the light comes on and traffic knows I'm slowing down,

Hold on here a minute,......
I believe my brake lite comes on when either brake is applied.
Is this not normal of all yr models ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 09/27/09 at 09:42:53

Brake light come on with either brake used

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #19 - 12/12/09 at 20:48:26

My Savage (see signature) is strictly an urban machine.  The OEM pads lasted 3500 miles.  The replacement Ferodo Platinum pads lasted 4100 miles.  I've got EBC pads in there now.

The OEM front brake pads on my 2005 Honda GL1800 currently have 69,000 miles on them.  The OEM front pads on my '01 Honda ST1100 lasted 31,300 miles, but I ride that bike a bit harder than I do my Gold Wing.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #20 - 12/12/09 at 20:51:01

LostArtist wrote on 09/20/09 at 16:56:41:
......I still like using the rear brake so the light comes on and traffic knows I'm slowing down, even new, the brake pads look thin

Sounds as if an inspection of the front brake switch may be in order.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
juang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #21 - 12/23/09 at 21:57:00

I'm going to add a question here because I don't want to create multiple brake threads.

On Nov 26 2009 I changed the front brake pads for my 1998 Savage because I had had it for about a year and I didn't know if I they needed to be replaced.  So I went ahead and replaced the old with new EBC pads.  I used the "how to" manual found here in the forum.  And step by step I got the job done.  I even went to the AutoZone and got the anti-squeak goo to put in the back of the pads for the vibration noise.

About 3 weeks later, I noticed some noise (not as bad as when you don't use that goo at all, but still, kind of annoying) coming out of the front brakes.  I took the pads out and noticed there was almost no goo on them (it had been raining bad in L. A. for a couple of days...I noticed the noise after the rain stopped)

On top of that I noticed that in the pads, where the piston makes the "circle impression" on them, there was some material missing...I don't know how that happened, but it did.  The back of the pads were not like that when I got them.  I put some goo on the back of the pads again and the noise went away.  

I did that on Dec 19 and today is Dec 23 and the noise has come back.  Do I need new brake pads because the ones I got were defective?  Or should I buy a new caliper to forget about all this?

Las Motos
El Rock n Roll
Cuero Tachuelas
Y Alcohol

Keep me from getting a real job by reading my blog and clicking the ads on it...please

http://thisstrangelongjourney.blogspot.com/
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #22 - 12/24/09 at 01:07:16

juang wrote on 12/23/09 at 21:57:00:
I'm going to add a question here because I don't want to create multiple brake threads.

On Nov 26 2009 I changed the front brake pads for my 1998 Savage because I had had it for about a year and I didn't know if I they needed to be replaced.  So I went ahead and replaced the old with new EBC pads.  I used the "how to" manual found here in the forum.  And step by step I got the job done.  I even went to the AutoZone and got the anti-squeak goo to put in the back of the pads for the vibration noise.

About 3 weeks later, I noticed some noise (not as bad as when you don't use that goo at all, but still, kind of annoying) coming out of the front brakes.  I took the pads out and noticed there was almost no goo on them (it had been raining bad in L. A. for a couple of days...I noticed the noise after the rain stopped)

On top of that I noticed that in the pads, where the piston makes the "circle impression" on them, there was some material missing...I don't know how that happened, but it did.  The back of the pads were not like that when I got them.  I put some goo on the back of the pads again and the noise went away.  

I did that on Dec 19 and today is Dec 23 and the noise has come back.  Do I need new brake pads because the ones I got were defective?  Or should I buy a new caliper to forget about all this?

Here's a question, and I'm not trying to be insulting, but speaking from experience here:  are you positive everything is where it's supposed to be after assembled?  It's real easy for both pads to end up on one side of the rotor, which would have it using the back (metal) of the pad, and either the housing of the caliper, or the plunger of the caliper to put pressure on the rotor.  This would make noise, and create wear where there should be none.  I did this on my first brake job, but luckily noticed it when I was giving it a good going over before torquing it down, and reassebled it correctly.
This is probably not what you did, since I suspect it would make a great deal of noise, but it's my nickel's worth. Huh

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 12/24/09 at 07:29:36

First, dont buy a new caliper. Thats a lot of $$ & wont solve your problem. As important as pads are in the Noise equation, the rotor matters & so does the "Bedding IN" process. The Anti-Squeak Goo is a grand idea, too.

You said

On top of that I noticed that in the pads, where the piston makes the "circle impression" on them, there was some material missing.

What is the material that is missing? plastic? Anti Squeak?

One thing lots of people dont think of is making sure the caliper moves freely on the pins. A good Clean & Lube there helps the pads last & brakes work better, If one side is clearly more worn than the other, that would be a good clue that the pins are dragging,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
juang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #24 - 12/26/09 at 15:06:08

Ok.  First of all let me say that no, I didn't put the caliper back in a way where both pads are on one side of the rotor...I know I'm dumb, but I'm not that dumb.  But thanks for all of your concerns.

Here are a couple of pictures of the problem I described above.  As you can see, some of the material in the back of the pads has fallen leaving behind bare metal...I think I've discovered the problem, but first, let me show you the pictures I took.

Now let me tell you about the real problem.  I discovered the caliper was shaking kind of bad.  That's because the caliper is missing a little piece of rubber I took out by accident when I first got it.  I haven't been able to find it.  And to "solve" the problem i've been putting paper or something instead of the rubber thing.  It has never caused a problem before.

Then I remembered the noise problem came after it stopped raining here in L.A.  That probably happened because the paper I put got wet and became loose.  That might have caused the pads to "shake" a little against the piston.  Causing them to loose some material from the back in the long run and wearing off the anti-noise goo sooner than expected.  Now two more questions.

1.  What's the proper name of this rubber thing?
2.  Where can I buy it at?  (I'm fine if I have to buy it on-line)

Here's a picture of the rubber thing I'm talking about.  Its the one with the big red arrow pointing at it.

Las Motos
El Rock n Roll
Cuero Tachuelas
Y Alcohol

Keep me from getting a real job by reading my blog and clicking the ads on it...please

http://thisstrangelongjourney.blogspot.com/
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 12/26/09 at 16:31:27

I think Id invest in a new piece of rubber.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #26 - 12/26/09 at 18:27:24

I'm supprised at the low pad life.....

I'm going on 22,000 miles and counting on a set of ebc pads.  I was under the inpression ebc makes different series for different applactions.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 12/26/09 at 22:11:45

What's cheaper, new pads or new rotors?
plus hard, long life pads = squeal

That piece of rubber keeps the dirt out of the alignment pins that allow the caliper to float on the rotor.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #28 - 12/31/09 at 21:35:36

I doin't know what pads I was getting till they got here .  Sloans in murfreeboro had to order them and had them sent to my house.  I think they are slentered steel??? EBC

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #29 - 01/01/10 at 02:25:51

my sintered pads never made a squeak, even when bedding in ?

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:25:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake pads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.