Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Confused about buying a slip on muffler.. (Read 497 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Confused about buying a slip on muffler..
Reply #15 - 09/20/09 at 19:17:25

I used to buy clear everything, tint, alarm, CD player,

Thats a serious dislike for too many colors, I do like the monochrome look, but clear tint is just too much, man!  Cheesy

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #16 - 09/21/09 at 06:57:53

What do I think ?
Its too late for me ! But when I was young, I thought kinda like you too Wink

There ain't much I would change on this bike, ....like it just the way it looks.
But if I can do anything to make it run just a touch better, I'll do it.
But, I'm tellin ya, for a single cylinder, this is the smoothest running/idling bike I could even imagine.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #17 - 09/21/09 at 09:56:42

i guess clear to u is flat black to me! lol

with the muffler, i had the same problems/questions last week when puttin my sportster muffler on.

i wound up drilling a hole through the old bracket for the stock muffler, making another bracket from a plate that held a dual honda muffler together and a couple trips to home depot to buy bolts that won't rust lol !

i used to be a car guy, but now i find myself reading easyriders and motorcyclist instead of car craft and 5.o mustang. with this bike, i've learned u can't really hurt it too bad, and there's way too many helpful people on here to mess stuff up that bad!

jesse james once said "if a hammer doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
dhtran
YaBB Newbies

If you see this, I
should be studying..

Houston, TX
Reply #18 - 09/22/09 at 16:07:14

@Justin, hahaha.. I gotta remember to read my post before publishing!

@Routy, I can totally see what you mean. There's a reason why Suzuki designs them the way they do which is why they've been around for sooo long.

@Rocco, I'm looking to powder coat my exhaust, header, and everything else that's metal flat black as well... now I just need money - haha!

2009 White Suzuki Boulevard S40 - Clear Signal and Rear Brake Lenses, Side License Plate Mount, and much more to come..
WWW dhtran DavidHaiTran   IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #19 - 09/22/09 at 23:07:15

Tran,

Lancer's jet kit is easy,  Just remove the float bowl and swap out the jets.

I forgot to tell you that you WILL need a spacer, I'm sorry, sleepy I guess - easy and best way is to remove the head pipe and take it and the canister to a muffler shop.  They can even make it long enough, and put a slight bend in it to keep the soot off the rear brake arm.
Even if you have to ride to the shop, it wont take very long.  Then get a different exhaust shield, cause the Suzuki one will not do.

See my pics below of a Dyna canister and extension pipe.

Close up of extension

Pic of bike with the pipe - the extreme blueing you see is from having to ride the bike to work without re-jetting the carb - dumb but at the time necessary -  Undecided Undecided

Pic of my bike with my drag pipe on it.  I cut down my extension, and used it as a spacer along with my harley clamp.

She was kind of dirty there - rode home in the rain!!!

If anyone can resize the pics, please feel free to do so Smiley

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
DesertDweller
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #20 - 09/23/09 at 07:01:30

BurnPgh wrote on 09/19/09 at 22:01:08:
If you get a sportster or dyna take off it most likely WILL NOT fit as is. Never fear. The problem is this - The OD of the head pipe is slightly larger than the ID of harley mufflers. Some are able to just really clamp it down hard and it works. Most make a shim. I just cut the ends off a soda can and then cut it down the middle, folded the aluminum over once or twice (cant recall) wrapped it around the head pipe and slid the muffler over it. Then clamped it of course.

One more thing to add just to make fitting it easier. As ER pointed out make sure whatever muffler you get does not have a crossover port. Also, there are two kind of mounts. Tab mounts and rail. A rail mount will be much more simple. Keep looking on ebay. I was able to get a single, brand new, screaming eagle slash cut for $25.

I am still not clear on this , I measure the OD of the pipe on my S40 as 2" , now does the dyna slip on that? or in that? How does the 1 3/4 clamp go around all that? Are there other model screaming eagle's that would fit? like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200386620399&ss...

Thanks guys

'05 Savage
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #21 - 09/23/09 at 22:05:06

If I remember correctly, the OD of the head pipe at the junction for the canister is a little less than 1 3/4", thus the need for "spacer" material or a filler/extension piece.  The ID of the Harley Dyna canisters are 1 3/4" +/-.  The clamp can expand and contract enough to allow for some variance.  You will have to "put your ass" into it when tightening it up.  Just don't go overboard on it.

Rail Type Dyna canisters are the best - they will allow you to remove and replace the head pipe and cansiter combination together as one piece, once assembled.  

This is about the easiest mod we Savage owners can do to our bikes.  The hardest part is getting a good seal between the head pipe and the exhaust canister.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 09/23/09 at 22:13:30

You will have to "put your ass" into it when tightening it up.  Just don't go overboard on it.

Whaddya think.. maybe just one cheek?

Or would that just be half assed?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #23 - 09/24/09 at 06:16:37

The OD of the head pipe is slightly larger than the ID of harley mufflers. Some are able to just really clamp it down hard and it works. Most make a shim. I just cut the ends off a soda can and then cut it down the middle, folded the aluminum over once or twice (cant recall) wrapped it around the head pipe and slid the muffler over it. Then clamped it of course.
-----------------------
I measure the OD of the pipe on my S40 as 2"
-----------------------
=============================================
Now why does this have to be so confusing ?
Is it just me, or doesn't the above statements make any sense.
If the header pipe (2"od) is bigger than the 1 3/4 id of the muffler, why do we need a shim around the header pipe when its already too big ?

Or is the above all messed up ?

In plain english, maybe someone could verify that the following statement mite be correct ?

The id of the harley...etc mufflers are 1 3/4"
The od of the header pipe is a touch smaller than the 1 3/4" id of the mufflers.
Therefore a shim is wrapped around the header pipe to make it the same size  as the id of the mufflers.

Figuring that is settled, where does the angle problem come in at ?
I remember someone having to add a 7 degree adapter to the muffler mod,.......but maybe I was dreaming.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
DesertDweller
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #24 - 09/24/09 at 06:29:51

Educatedredneck wrote on 09/23/09 at 22:05:06:
If I remember correctly, the OD of the head pipe at the junction for the canister is a little less than 1 3/4", thus the need for "spacer" material or a filler/extension piece.  The ID of the Harley Dyna canisters are 1 3/4" +/-.  The clamp can expand and contract enough to allow for some variance.  You will have to "put your ass" into it when tightening it up.  Just don't go overboard on it.

Rail Type Dyna canisters are the best - they will allow you to remove and replace the head pipe and cansiter combination together as one piece, once assembled.  

This is about the easiest mod we Savage owners can do to our bikes.  The hardest part is getting a good seal between the head pipe and the exhaust canister.

Cool, so the header pipe reduces to less then 1 3/4" I can make that work, thanks !

'05 Savage
  IP Logged
DesertDweller
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #25 - 09/24/09 at 06:32:00

Routy wrote on 09/24/09 at 06:16:37:
The OD of the head pipe is slightly larger than the ID of harley mufflers. Some are able to just really clamp it down hard and it works. Most make a shim. I just cut the ends off a soda can and then cut it down the middle, folded the aluminum over once or twice (cant recall) wrapped it around the head pipe and slid the muffler over it. Then clamped it of course.
-----------------------
I measure the OD of the pipe on my S40 as 2"
-----------------------
=============================================
Now why does this have to be so confusing ?
Is it just me, or doesn't the above statements make any sense.
If the header pipe (2"od) is bigger than the 1 3/4 id of the muffler, why do we need a shim around the header pipe when its already too big ?

Or is the above all messed up ?

In plain english, maybe someone could verify that the following statement mite be correct ?

The id of the harley...etc mufflers are 1 3/4"
The od of the header pipe is a touch smaller than the 1 3/4" id of the mufflers.
Therefore a shim is wrapped around the header pipe to make it the same size  as the id of the mufflers.

Figuring that is settled, where does the angle problem come in at ?
I remember someone having to add a 7 degree adapter to the muffler mod,.......but maybe I was dreaming.

I noticed you drilled out your muffler, did you take the last silencer out all the way? Like I did, do you have trouble with "afterfiring"?
The shotgun blast sounds when decelerating? if not, what is your jet setup?

'05 Savage
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #26 - 09/24/09 at 06:55:22

I resized the above pics...how do I insert them into the post??? Huh

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #27 - 09/24/09 at 07:28:03

Bubba wrote on 09/24/09 at 06:55:22:
I resized the above pics...how do I insert them into the post??? Huh

You have to save the pics to another hosting site, we use bikepics or photobucket mostly, I think (I use photobucket).  Then when you reply to a message, click the third icon "Insert Image".  It will put img tags into where you are typing. ("IMG" surrounded by brackets)  Copy and paste the picture link between the IMG tags... (first tag tells it to open the pic, / tag tells it the end of the pic)     Click your "preview post" button at the bottom to make sure it inserted it correctly, and post!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #28 - 09/24/09 at 07:44:32

DD quote:
I noticed you drilled out your muffler, did you take the last silencer out all the way? Like I did, do you have trouble with "afterfiring"?
The shotgun blast sounds when decelerating? if not, what is your jet setup?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
All I did was drilled 8 7/32 holes evenly spaced in a circle midway between the rivets and the center hole. I didn't remove anything. The 8 holes even look like their supposed to be there Roll Eyes
It sounds great on idle (a little louder) It is probably a little louder at speed, but can't really hear how it sounds. It didn't make much, if any difference on afterfire,...still does it.
The white spacer mod makes it feel like a new bike, but didn't change the afterfire any at all. I assume the jets are stock, and I don't plan to change them,....as it runs so good.

Rich
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 09/24/09 at 09:32:00

I am running these - hand made by me ... but they do let you remove that ugly ass muffler carrier.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/1383501096.html

I could make a bolt on version of these, it does have a baffle and what not, and it seemed to work fine with stock jetting because I have it flow restricted in a way, but it has a hard edged noise to it.

Not burbly, more like individual dom, dom dom dom, instead of brruuum brrrrrummmm ...
I like it though, and its light and can be hung off the head no problem. No need for ugly ass carrier arm.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 02:49:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Confused about buying a slip on muffler..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.