Send Topic Print
disk brake squeal (Read 77 times)
johnort
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

disk brake squeal
09/19/09 at 05:42:59

hello: I have been lurking for a while, used the site to decide what bike to get. Bought a 1997 savage with 1500 miles i put 1200 miles on it this month because i havent ridden in 33 years, good to be back in the game. Like the site,lots of helpfull people. the front brake started to squeal on my drive home. it doesn't do it on hard stops just on light pressure. any help will be great. love the bike im 5' 8' 160 lbs. so the bike fits just right. i'm getting 50 m.p.g. and i think the top end is 86, had to find outjust once .

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: disk brake squeal
Reply #1 - 09/19/09 at 06:13:48

It's one of the minor quirk on this bike. It can be fixed by upgrade to a better brake pads when it have to be chaged. Mine brake pads only last around 5,000 miles. Congrat on your new ride.

Ride tall.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/19/09 at 06:50:08

Yep, the stock brakes are crappy. Like the tires. But the little bike is cool.
Youll have a lot of fun with it & the MPG is nice too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/19/09 at 08:40:08

whenever I washed it the squeal went away for awhile
others said apply enough pressure and heat them up, but I didn't find that to work.
or get earplugs
after awhile, you begin to appreciate your "I'm braking here!" annouciators.  Nothing says get outta my way better than a squealin' brake.

WWW   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #4 - 09/19/09 at 09:08:45

johnort glad you are back in the saddle again. My front brake on my Savage squeals but I've just learned to live with it. The Savage was designed around 25 years ago and very little has been changed. Its almost like riding an antique but thats one of the things I like about it. The Savage has personality. The more you ride it the more you will like it. Ride safe and glad to have you with us.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 09/19/09 at 09:12:31

Take off you pads and spray the backs with a disk quiet,It helps a lot all auto stores have it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #6 - 09/19/09 at 10:58:03

For anyone who wants to keep the stock pads but hates the squeal - I have about 90% of a bottle of "CRC Disk Brake Quiet" stuff that dries to a rubbery vibration sapper.  Take it off my hands for the price of shipping, probably about 3 bux.  I discarded the stock squealers and will never need the anti-squeal compound again.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #7 - 09/19/09 at 14:49:43

i just fitted some goldfren hh sintered pads. not even a small squeak even when new

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 10:37:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › disk brake squeal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.