My first Oil Change (Read 249 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
My first Oil Change
09/18/09 at 22:27:59

Alright, most of you on here probably would have done the first oil change within the first week of buying a used bike just because you don't know how long it had been. I've been riding mine for just about a month, and just over 500 miles now. (use it mostly for a short commute back and forth to work so far) I had looked at the oil level 2 or 3 times so far, and noticed that I had to lean the bike past vertical to see oil in the sight glass  Embarrassed I kept meaning to do an oil change and even bought the supplies about 2 weeks ago, but I finally did it tonight  Cheesy

The tech section's guide to an oil change was great, since I knew exactly what to expect when I opened it up and what I was going to need to do.  Grin

I pulled the drain plug and left the bike sitting in the garage for about an hour while I did other things. When I came back, I cracked open the oil filter and of course I spilled oil all over the exhaust and the floor  Shocked After cleaning that up and opening the fill cap to make sure I didn't keep any vacuum I left the bike again for about another hour before I was able to get back to it.

Making sure I didn't forget anything, I put the plug back in, put the new filter in place (oiled the orings too) and started to fill'er up. Took the first quart without hesitation. When I started to fill the second quart, I thought it seemed like it was taking more than most on here said it should, but keeping the bike level it ended up taking a full 2qts to get it in the mid to upper level of the safe range on the sight glass  Smiley

Now the surprise was when I went to pour the blacker than black used oil back into the quarts to dispose of them properly, I was amazed to see that I only filled back up 1 qt jug  Shocked There really wasn't much sludge or leftover oil in the pan either. When I take it for a ride next to check for leaks I'm going to make sure I check that sight glass a little more often. It scares me to think that I was only running on 1/2 the oil that I was supposed to  Huh I'm just glad I took care of it before something big went wrong (knock on wood)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My first Oil Change
Reply #1 - 09/18/09 at 23:12:33

The reason we l;ook into the little window isnt to see if its time to change the oil before we ride, but to see if we should ADD oil. It not only lubricates the parts, its part of the cooling.
If you have the bike vertical & the oil is below the ADD line,, add.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 09/19/09 at 04:38:46

Quote:
When I take it for a ride next to check for leaks I'm going to make sure I check that sight glass a little more often.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And to make it easier, (don't pay no tension to the book) leave a  couple short 2x4s laying around, park the stand on one of them, and if you don't see oil level in the site glass, add till you do !

IMO, there is no reason to ever hold these bike in the vertical position while trying to check the oil. This was very stupid instructions on the part of Suzie ! It can cause many riders to not have time to check the oil.

The former owner of my bike took it 1 step farther,........
he kept the oil level on the low line w/ the bike on the sidestand (no 2x4 !) At 4300 miles, it purrs like a new one. He's got me convinced that a 1/2 qt overfill don't hurt these bikes, and just may be safer and better,....and run cooler.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 09/19/09 at 06:43:24

He's got me convinced that a 1/2 qt overfill don't hurt these bikes, and just may be safer and better,....and run cooler.

If you can run it down a hill & not have the oil foamed, its not at an unsafe level, IMO.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/19/09 at 11:12:04

I posted this in the tips section a while ago but, for those who didn't catch it...
Here's an oil change tip...

Next time you do a oil/filter change,... shape a piece of tinfoil over your exhaust pipe and under the filter case... saves a lot of clean up...
Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 09/19/09 at 12:13:35

Just did an oil & filter change a couple of hours ago ... Take Bike for a spin to warm up the oil, come home & park in driveway. Look at dark clouds rolling in and hope it doesn't rain. Go in house get beer. Pop a double piece of 2x4 under the sidestand and a scissors jack under the right front footpeg mount to keep Bike level ... remove oil fill plug, place drain pan under Bike and remove drain plug ... drink a beer and chat with a buddy while waiting for old oil to drain out. 15mins or so it's down to a drip every 5 seconds or so. Replace drain plug & tighten. take 2x4's out from under sidestand so Bike leans (normally) to the left. Remove filter cover bolts and slowly remove cover ... very little oil spills 'cause Bike is now leaning away from filter side. Remove filter & disgard. Careful not to loose spring and rubber O-rings! Clean filter cover, cavity and any spill on exhaust pipe with paper towel. Lube inner O-ring with a bit of the drained out oil on your fingertip. Place new filter in cavity. Lube oil filter cover O-Ring in same manner as inner. Place spring over "bump" on inside of cover and install cover. Tighten cover bolts (DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN!!). Throw 2 liters of oil down the fill hole. Replace fill hole plug. Start and idle for a few minutes to check for leaks. No leaks! Done!!! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/19/09 at 12:17:57

Seems like it would drain better w/o the 2X4's.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 09/19/09 at 12:26:14

Your right Justin you only need 2x4 to check oil level.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #8 - 09/19/09 at 13:27:06

just so i'm clear...u check the oil while it's in the same position as if you were riding it straight right? vertical kinda threw me off there! lol

i'm gonna do my first oil change sometime this week, and i was gonna rejet the carb 2day with my friend but the weather is crap and i have work....BUT off next saturday(that never happens!) so it better be done then!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 09/19/09 at 13:40:59

Right just like you were riding it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #10 - 09/19/09 at 13:43:16

ok good deal! still gettin used to no dipstick! lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/19/09 at 18:56:53

OK guys, it's all good. Good instructions, but remember sometimes people are buying litres (liters) of oil and some buy quarts.(quarts) I figured the difference by multiplying the diameter of the oil bottle times the height plus the number of bottles in a standard case. This comes to 3874985.6865. Which is the same number of air molecules in 1 PSI of air in the front tire.(IRC 100/90-19) Taking that into consideration when changing oil with the plus or minus factor of 1.3 for warm versus cold oil any fool can see that a normal oil change, done properly should take around 3 1/2 gallons, not counting any spillage onto the exhaust pipe. And yes I do know Jethro Bodine. We grajjeated together.   Boofer      

IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 03/22/12 at 05:04:33

...and the odometer reads 1 mile. A week after I bought my new bike, the owners manual finally arrived in the mail. Learned that leaving bike set  on "prime" isn't the right thing to do - I removed oil fill plug and could smell a faint odor of gas, so I decided to play it safe and drain the oil. Engine hasn't ever been started, by me, so hopefully the clutches or nothing else was hurt by a little bit of gas in the oil.

BTW, any suggestions on a good break-in oil now that I drained the oil? I also have a bottle of lucas break-in additive on hand, just in case I need any of it.

2015 S40 (Pearl Moon Stone Gray)
OEM Pillow Seat - OEM Windshield

"Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures."
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #13 - 03/22/12 at 05:58:29

Buster wrote on 03/22/12 at 05:04:33:
...and the odometer reads 1 mile. A week after I bought my new bike, the owners manual finally arrived in the mail. Learned that leaving bike set  on "prime" isn't the right thing to do - I removed oil fill plug and could smell a faint odor of gas, so I decided to play it safe and drain the oil. Engine hasn't ever been started, by me, so hopefully the clutches or nothing else was hurt by a little bit of gas in the oil.

BTW, any suggestions on a good break-in oil now that I drained the oil? I also have a bottle of lucas break-in additive on hand, just in case I need any of it.

if you truly had gas in the oil, that means that the float valve and/or the float in the carb isn't working properly. it is fairly rare for this to happen on a savage, more likely fuel spills out the back of the carb instead of into the crank, but if you really think you smelled gas in the oil it would be a good idea to check float level and operation.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 03/22/12 at 08:04:02

Why would you leave it on prime ? That defeats the purpose of the vac controlled petcock valve. But then, many here defeat it on purpose, so each his own.
Myself,....I would never defeat the vac operated saftey petcock, and I wouldn't run any so called "breakin oil" either.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:25:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My first Oil Change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.