Send Topic Print
My first Oil Change (Read 249 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My first Oil Change
Reply #15 - 03/22/12 at 08:46:24

.I would never defeat the vac operated saftey petcock, and I wouldn't run any so called "breakin oil" either.

Meeee neether

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Reply #16 - 03/22/12 at 13:08:43

Routy wrote on 03/22/12 at 08:04:02:
Why would you leave it on prime ? That defeats the purpose of the vac controlled petcock valve. But then, many here defeat it on purpose, so each his own. Myself,....I would never defeat the vac operated saftey petcock,

Not sure why the salesman left it like that when he rolled the bike off the trailer. Maybe he didn't know a whole lot about the S40 - He also said the little key was for the helmet holder, and not the steering lock.

Quote:
and I wouldn't run any so called "breakin oil" either.  

What about the Redline or Lucas additive? Something in them that are bad for clutches? After seeing the silvery cloudy swirl that was in my drained oil, after only 1 mile on the odometer, I just wondered if the engine needed a helping hand for the first few hundred miles.

2015 S40 (Pearl Moon Stone Gray)
OEM Pillow Seat - OEM Windshield

"Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures."
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 03/22/12 at 17:45:32

The only reference ever made about Redline ZDDP booster was made by me, when talking about breaking in a Stage 2 (high lift and duration) Web cam for the initial 500 miles.   This reference doesn't apply to a stock Savage engine.

Savages make a lot of metal from the transmission etc when brand new -- all you really need to do is just use a good JASO motorcycle oil and change it frequently.  

Magnetic drain plugs and other magnetic tricks are used here on the list to remove bits of ferrous trash from the oil flow to get "better long term filtration" (and I think you already see why we do it when the bikes are newish anyway).

Milky oil is contaminated oil -- gas or water or something other than normal oil and normal combustion residues are involved in "milky".   Drain it and replace it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #18 - 03/22/12 at 22:48:36

I switched to a magnetic drain plug and never looked back. You can get one for about 9 bucks from goldplug.com Not only does it help pull out some of the metal floating in your oil, it also serves as an indicator of what your engine is doing in between changes.

As for slightly over filling, it is my understanding that many users here fill the bike on the side stand until it just barely peeks into the window. This is would be a slight overfill compared to what is recommended. I do not use this method for any reason other than I stick with what worked for me the first time, filling it with the clymer manual suggested amount. But just as many will tell you, a slight overfill is far better than ever running low and allows for an easy way to check it without having to hold it vertical. (You can see the oil peeking into the side window while on the stand.)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:28:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My first Oil Change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.