savage head gasket (Read 223 times)
hugo-m
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

warrington,cheshire,uk
savage head gasket
09/14/09 at 14:26:53

hi.. anyone know if i can change the head gasket on my 1988 savage without taking the engine out of the frame .. thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: savage head gasket
Reply #1 - 09/14/09 at 14:49:52

Many have asked, because of an oil leak. If thats it, most likely isnt the head gasket.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/14/09 at 15:13:05

Oh yeah,... if it's just the leaky head plug, it's just under the valve cover... do that in place.
but if it's the head gasket,... you probably want to pull the motor.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
hugo-m
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

warrington,cheshire,uk
Reply #3 - 09/14/09 at 15:24:22

hi.. here is the story .. fins below head gasket level get oiled fins above gasket line are dry ,this only occurs when engine is under pressure no leak when idling .. after a short journey i get specks of oil on my boots and drips onto engine casing .. there is no oil being burnt and not even the slightest bit of smoke from exhaust .. no extra noise (as a blown gasket does) bike has done 16000 miles and is in good condition ,the last full service was in january this year,  usually this bike uses very little oil ..i am baffled as to where the oil is coming from .. engine does seem to get faster when stood at lights so i think its overheating a little but timing and carburetor were checked at service and tuned to correct specs.. any help with this problem would be very welcome .. hugo

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/14/09 at 15:42:20

retorque the nuts (fore and aft).
You may have to replace the gasket

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/14/09 at 19:14:56

Sounds like a leaky head cover. I dont think a head gasket would act like that, would it? Theres not so much oil in the combustion chamber as there is a mix of gas & air.

Well, maybe I read that too fast.. How far down the jug is this oil coming into view? In inches.. okay?

Time to have a look at the cam chain tensioner for sure, anyway.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/14/09 at 23:10:31

if it's at the bottom of the head and not above then it's the gasket between head and cylinder.  If the bolts get loose it will leak.  retorque and see how it goes.

You might get the head off in the frame, but it will be alot easier out.

WWW   IP Logged
hugo-m
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

warrington,cheshire,uk
Reply #7 - 09/14/09 at 23:57:26

hi.. thanks for input, i will get my tools out and take a look after work this evening ... hugo

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/15/09 at 09:42:28

The shop manual lists head removal as one of the thin gs it is possible to do in the frame  but it will be a really really tight fit getting it in and out.
Remove the rocker cover first and check the head plug. You may save yourself a lot of work.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #9 - 09/15/09 at 12:53:07

I recall that somebody said you can possibly tilt the engine forward to remove the head.  Do this by removing the upper engine mounts and cam assembly cover, loosening the rear lower engine mount bolt(s?), and removing the front lower engine mount bolt.  I know I have to install a new head gasket this fall, but I have not tried this method yet.  I think it would be wise to begin loosening the 6 head bolts (4 on top and 1 each fore and aft) BEFORE tilting or removing the engine.  I also plan to check the compression before teardown to hopefully verify that I don't need rings.  My engine now has about 20,000 miles on it and I'm planning a new cam chain and adjuster at the same time.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/15/09 at 13:30:39

I have done the cam chain in the frame and can tell you its very tight.
If I were you the extra effort to take it out my way is worth it.
Ask me later or search

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/15/09 at 15:52:39

I didnt feel cramped doing the cam chain. It seemed to me the trouble I was having wouldnt change, even with more room. BUT,, I may be a bit slow...

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 09/15/09 at 18:53:13

Hugo

Yes you can take the head and the block off without taking the motor from the frame.

The studs (4) that come out of the case and runs to the Head Bolts come out.  While you have them out put screwdriver slots in the upper end of them so you can run them to bottom durning reassembly.

I've had mine out by twice now looking for a weard noice that come in about 55 mph under load.  Kinda like a slap or knock.  I though it was a head gasket ( checked it out, )..... This last time I seated the valves--- still got the noise ????   Must be nature of the beast !!!!!

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #13 - 09/16/09 at 05:04:52

MMRanch wrote on 09/15/09 at 18:53:13:
Hugo

Yes you can take the head and the block off without taking the motor from the frame.

The studs (4) that come out of the case and runs to the Head Bolts come out.  While you have them out put screwdriver slots in the upper end of them so you can run them to bottom durning reassembly.

I've had mine out by twice now looking for a weard noice that come in about 55 mph under load.  Kinda like a slap or knock.  I though it was a head gasket ( checked it out, )..... This last time I seated the valves--- still got the noise ????   Must be nature of the beast !!!!!

I have done it that way, but those 4 head bolts are a booger to get out.  I truly think it's easier to leave them in place, by either tilting the engine or just taking it out.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
hugo-m
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

warrington,cheshire,uk
Reply #14 - 09/22/09 at 11:47:33

hi.. yes the job is done .. i took the head cover off no problem .. the cause of the oil leak was the head seal cap.. i sealed it in with loctite gasket cement .. feels like a different bike now .. thanks to all for tips and hints..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:50:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › savage head gasket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.