Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Maintanence for new bike s40 (Read 258 times)
seany187
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maintanence for new bike s40
09/14/09 at 10:14:24

I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on the maintenance of a new bike.  I am just about to put 500 miles on my Suzuki S40 and I was wondering, should I get an oil change at 500 since its new, or where should I get it? How often should I get one, anything else I should keep and mind and check for over time, like brakes, lights, etc? Tire pressure? Should I invest in a pump? Where should I get it? Any help would be awesome!

Thanks again,
Sean

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Maintanence for new bike s40
Reply #1 - 09/14/09 at 10:32:36

WWW   IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #2 - 09/14/09 at 10:41:22

verslagen1 wrote on 09/14/09 at 10:32:36:

Broken Link. Site has been down every time I've checked for the past two weeks.  I'll look later and see if i can find a new link somewhere.

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #3 - 09/14/09 at 11:03:10

The owners manual says the initial breakin period is 600 miles. There are several items that need attention at that point... Including new oil and filter, adjusting the valves, tightening various cables and checking tightness of nuts and bolts.

There may be more, but I forget...

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 09/14/09 at 11:45:18

Some people question the need to adjust valves at the first interval (because it's so short), but mine needed adjustment. If you're doing all of the rest of the maintenance, adjusting valves doesn't add much.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/14/09 at 23:19:46

Hard Corps wrote on 09/14/09 at 10:41:22:
Broken Link. Site has been down every time I've checked for the past two weeks.  I'll look later and see if i can find a new link somewhere.  

New link...

http://www.savageriders.com/verslagen/transfer/2002_LS650P_Owners_Manual.pdf

(fixed)

Check it, see if I addressed it correctly.

« Last Edit: 11/06/10 at 15:31:42 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #6 - 09/15/09 at 10:20:34

Verslagen, I know there's been a problem with the Owner's Manual link.  Fortunately, I downloaded one to a PDF file on my computer.

Seany187, I can forward an Owner's Manual to you via Adobe Acrobat if you will PM me your email.  It will detail all routine maintenance for now and the future........Guy (serenity3743)

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/15/09 at 14:11:43

how do you know if your valves need adjusted? like are there any symptoms? or consequences?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 09/15/09 at 18:01:19

Initial wear in causes the valves to get tight, which offers no external signal to the operator.  

You get no warning sounds.  Running zero clearance can burn a valve as it gets held slightly open during combustion.

Suzuki does not lap seat their valves as a general manufacturing procedure, so the "as manufactured"valve seats can wear the valve seat contact junction "in" more so than other bikes can do causing your valve clearances to just plain disappear in the first 600-1,000 miles.

Check your valves at the recommended intervals when your bike is new.

After 10,000 miles, valves tend to get both tighter and looser for opposing reasons, generally resulting in "averaged out" increasing clearances over longer periods of time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/15/09 at 19:19:06

Something I do on new machines, and as I disassemble and reassemble older ones, is replace weak fasteners with upgraded ones, use neverseize on things that have any chance of getting stuck, torque everything I can figure out to torque, silicone whatever.  Make it so I can take everything apart reliably.  This really applies strongly to things like exhaust system fasteners.  Things that tend to freeze badly.  

And do be very careful with the valves.  Tricky to adjust right, some technique, but makes a very very big difference.

Have fun!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #10 - 09/16/09 at 15:15:13

Did you not get an owner's manual with your new bike? I have a new 09 and now has 1800 miles on it. I took it in at the 600 mile mark for it's first checkup.

My manual said this is one of the most crusial checkups to have. I strongly suggest you to read your manual and if you did not receive one then to go back to the dealership and ask why?

Also it 's a little late now, yet I do hope you gave your tires it's first 100 mile break in as well....

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #11 - 09/17/09 at 05:40:25

LostArtist wrote on 09/15/09 at 14:11:43:
how do you know if your valves need adjusted? like are there any symptoms? or consequences?

I would imagine that there would eventually be symptoms and certainly there would be consequences (hard starting, gas mileage, loss of power etc.) of not adjusting valves but in 600 miles, you're just getting to know your Savage. I wouldn't have known that mine needed adjusted without checking. On the other hand I've been through several adjustments on my Connie, and could tell when it was needing it. Right now it's running great, getting great gas mileage, so even though it's been 6,000 miles since my last adjustment, I know that when I open it up I probably won't end up making any adjustments. Same thing was true last interval.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 12/09/09 at 20:50:35

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 09/14/09 at 11:03:10:
The owners manual says the initial breakin period is 600 miles. There are several items that need attention at that point... Including new oil and filter, adjusting the valves, tightening various cables and checking tightness of nuts and bolts.

There may be more, but I forget...

Don't forget everyone's favorite maintenance procedure: torquing the head bolts.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 12/11/09 at 08:55:12

which I have Yet to do & I have right at 20,000 miles on it. no leaks up there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 12/11/09 at 14:26:05

Justin,

You took the head cover off, fixed your rubber seal leak, changed out your cam with a Stage 1 cam, replaced your cam chain and didn't ever re-torque the head bolts???

????????????

(oops)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:21:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Maintanence for new bike s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!