babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: gas mileage
Reply #15 - 09/14/09 at 10:35:02

I'm getting around 57-64.  I've also started using the lower octane gas (since someone pointed out that the "premium" gas usually sits at the gas stations longer because less people buy it.  After I thought about it, I would bet that the station where I usually fill up my bike probably never sells premium)  My MPG has actually increased since.  I'm keeping a spreadsheet on my cell phone and don't have a ton of data yet, though.  Just a few tanks.  I try to fill up about every 100 miles.

Stock 06.... but getting ready for a muffler change, so I'm curious to see how that will affect it too.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
JustPassinThru
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 09/14/09 at 22:14:51

With an 05, 100 miles to a tank...reserve to reserve.  Takes between two and 2.2 gallons each fill-up.

Which is apparently about average here...but given the limited performance, seems a little low.  Especially since my other ride is/was a Burgman 400...which with more power and a higher top speed, and a belt final drive, got about 60-65 mpg.

The Burgman had other problems, and it's gone.  I went with this machine...I would have thought the manual gearbox would have done better, not worse.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/14/09 at 23:02:15

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 09/14/09 at 10:28:36:
I've also noticed that 10% Ethanol gas is pretty much guarantee of mileage in the 50s.

I geuss that and the rejet explains my relatively low mileage. In the 'Burgh there's no such thing as 100% gas. It's all "up to 10% ethanol".

IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #18 - 09/17/09 at 17:52:53

On the way home from work had to switch to res. at 140 miles. I get 63mpg.  week in weekout Smiley

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #19 - 09/18/09 at 07:36:32

alcoa wrote on 09/17/09 at 17:52:53:
On the way home from work had to switch to res. at 140 miles. I get 63mpg.  week in weekout Smiley

Ok,...and the point of the post is ...???
Yr model ?
Stocker ?
Any mods ?
Type of riding,.......naughty,.. WOT.....nice...50 mph ? in town,..country.....freeways ?

I mean,....you don't get 63 mpg under all conditions. If you average 63, means you're working between 53 & 73 ??? Amazing !!

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #20 - 09/18/09 at 08:52:26

Mine is an '07 S40, stock except a windshield and removal of the brass cover over the idle screw. With 63 recorded fillups, the average is 56.1 mpg; standard deviation of 6.4 mpg. Highest is 73.8 mpg running around the Rocky Mountain National park at low speeds; lowest 39.6 mpg running westbound on I-80 into a headwind at 70 - 75 mph. I usually drive at or slightly below posted speed limits.

I tried the "white spacer mod", but noticed no performance difference. The mileage dropped from mid 50s to high 40s, so I put the spacer back in. It is conceivable that living near 2000 feet altitude, as I do, richens the mixture enough without modification.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #21 - 09/18/09 at 09:42:18

Quote:
It is conceivable that living near 2000 feet altitude, as I do, richens the mixture enough without modification.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
That sounds right. So you probably didn't have the surging conditions at 1/4 throttle like I do. I need to richen up the "midsection",... when the tank get empty it will be easier to R&R ?.

And it seems to me that if the engine is running lean, (not running right) kinda lopeing along at lower speeds,....that it is getting less mpg than if it was running correctly. So if I richen it up a touch to where it is running smooth, I would expect better mpg, if anything.  Undecided

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #22 - 09/18/09 at 11:10:04

1998 Stock Savage + Windscreen and have had the saddle bags off for a while now.

I get around 55 mpg on avg.

I did run it to just about bone dry ( tapped reserve)  and got around 120 per tank. At the gas station I could see a little gas down in the bottom maybe could have got 5-10 more miles. Undecided

All riding was done on back roads around 45-65 mph.

I would love to get 60/mpg consistent.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #23 - 09/18/09 at 12:23:43

I had no intention of posting here, I guestimate I get about 50 mpg.  Today I had about a 70 mile round trip and a trip planned for first thing in the morning.  I needed gas, so stopped and filled up then filled back up before coming home.  When I got home this had come back to the top.

I drove 58 miles (from gas station to destination back to gas station) and put 1.1 gallon of gas in it.  Works out to about 52.72.

Maybe 10 miles in the city 35-45-50 the rest was on highway and back roads 55 all the way.  I ride like a good boy. Wink

87, dyna muffler, white space mod, did not rejet just adjusted the idle mixture, windshield and 295 pounds of me.

I am pleased! Cheesy

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 09/18/09 at 13:00:45

alcoa wrote on 09/17/09 at 17:52:53:

We need details, as per above post, please.. thanks..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 09/18/09 at 13:17:07

63 mpg me too

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #26 - 09/18/09 at 13:20:44

i usually fill up every 100 miles b4 i hit reserve, last time i ran out had to switch to reserve on the side of i-95 @ night, not a fun time! but i do alot of in town, a little highway, a little 2 up, and alot of poppin....not sure how that affects gas mileage but it's my favorite part!

oh yeah, '95, sporty muffler, k&n stock air box, rejettin 2morrow after karate. maybe takin the paint off the tank freed up some weight and a little horsepower lol!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #27 - 09/18/09 at 15:35:52

Rocco wrote on 09/18/09 at 13:20:44:
takin the paint off the tank freed up some weight and a little horsepower lol!!

Yeah,.. that paint weighs a ton, don't it?... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #28 - 09/18/09 at 16:32:45

The best I've gotten is 55mpg which was mainly secondary roads at around 55 mph. The worst was 38 mpg on twisty up and down back country roads. I was running second and third gears way out with a lot of WOT. I average 48 mpg on a regular ride which has to be my riding style.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #29 - 09/19/09 at 09:01:52

96 modle with sportster pipe 1/2 inch hole in divider, memphis shield 18x21 inch, saddlebags, 32,000 miles on it and 48-52 mpg.  
But it sounds so good when its under a load taking off or climing hills. !!

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:22:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas mileage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.