Changing the battery (Read 499 times)
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Changing the battery
Reply #30 - 09/18/09 at 12:01:11

Why not let your husband ride it home?

I think you can get the Big Crank pretty quickly.

And they're not really that expensive,compared to some.

Just a thought Smiley

Or...ask the guys(here) ,there may be some batteries that are close to the same as the Big Crank that you could buy locally.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 09/18/09 at 12:58:19

Call around for a Batteries Plus.Maybe?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #32 - 09/18/09 at 19:01:21

Hubby was riding his bike, and I certainly wouldn't drive it...!
But... we went to AutoZone, they found one the same size, specs, etc, except the vent tube was on the other side.  Didn't realize that until we were already at the store, so we went ahead with the exchange.  Filled it, charged it some, and headed home to put it on charge again.  We got it vented ok, but I'd say I'll go ahead and order a Big Crank.  I think on the link that reelthing posted, he pointed out that the Big Crank is made by Deka, which is where we get batteries from at work, and with all of the good suggestions her for the Big Crank, I'm good with that!!  

Thanks for everyone's help!  It is greatly appreciated!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #33 - 09/19/09 at 04:37:24

Sorry,I figured there was a car in the family and that you could drive the car and him your bike! I didnt think you could ride the big new bike,I'm not quite that crazy!Almost but not quite Grin

Glad all was solved anyway Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #34 - 09/23/09 at 11:17:57

Ordered my Big Crank battery on Saturday, got the Order confirmation email on Monday, the Shipment confirmation yesterday, tracked it by UPS this morning and its on the truck for delivery today!!  YAY!!!  

Grin  Smiley Grin Smiley Grin  Smiley  Grin

Is it going to be charged and ready to install when I open the box??

Maybe I'll get lucky and my Dyna mufflers will show up too...  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 09/23/09 at 11:48:13

Mine was ready to go right outta the box.

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #36 - 09/23/09 at 12:18:41

Thanks verslagen.  I read in another post that I might have to do something to the terminals...  did you have to do anything special?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #37 - 09/23/09 at 16:49:55

Piglet, the cable ends have a tab on them, bent to "Hug" the stock terminals. Youll need to flatten them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #38 - 09/23/09 at 17:02:37

Personally, I would put a charger on the new battery for a while anyway. If you use some sort of "smart" charger such as a battery tender, you won't overcharge it. That way you know you start off with a full charge.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #39 - 09/23/09 at 20:31:51

Charon wrote on 09/23/09 at 17:02:37:
Personally, I would put a charger on the new battery for a while anyway. If you use some sort of "smart" charger such as a battery tender, you won't overcharge it. That way you know you start off with a full charge.

Or just slab it in then going riding for an hour, that's should full charged the battery Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #40 - 09/24/09 at 05:35:17

Well, I didn't get to read those last 3 posts before we installed the battery last night.  I remembered reading something about flattening those tabs, but it didn't make sense until I saw the battery up close.  So that was easy!  The box said "Ready to Install", so we stuck it in.  I started it for just a few seconds, just to make sure, and it seems fine.  I say a few seconds, because my muffler is also off at the moment, waiting for my Dyna to arrive.... (Dang, that thing was lound in the garage!!)  It has been raining too, so I didn't bother putting the muffler back on for a test ride.  Today is supposed to be off-and-on nasty rainy too, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  (they say next week we're going to get some colder weather...)  

Thanks again for all the help!  Stay tuned for when my Dyna arrives...  please....

~ piglet   Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 11:38:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing the battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.