Changing the battery (Read 499 times)
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Changing the battery
Reply #15 - 09/14/09 at 10:15:55

FreeSpirit wrote on 09/14/09 at 09:55:38:
My battery tender pigtail is under my seat.
I Dont have to take the seat off to charge the battery.

But,I had battery problems after I drained it a few times,so I bought the Big Crank.

I'm wondering if there is maybe a different way to hook up the radio to keep it from draining the battery at all. Undecided

Many accessories will have a slight drain on the battery even though the key is off.
A permanent cure for all possible residual drains is to get a 30 amp switch and locate it on the ground of the battery. When you park the bike for overnight or longer, turn it off. When the ground is open, no current whatsoever can bleed from the battery. Russian bikes have done this for many decades because of the poor quality of their electrics. If it can save a battery on one of those bikes it can save any battery.
Both my Dnepr and my Ural had those switches and they work fine.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Innuendo
YaBB Newbies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FL
Reply #16 - 09/14/09 at 19:42:35

Wow you guys... you have been SO helpful!  I don't have to take the seat off anymore, you have no idea who I dreaded that.  Solving the battery issue may take me a little longer to determine what exactly to do from all your suggestions, but I'm thinking I should just buy a new one.

Thanks again  Smiley

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #17 - 09/14/09 at 20:39:37

Taking the seat off is sooooo easy...just two bolts with a 10mm wrench.  Why's it hard for you?

What is harder and very important is to take the seat off, take the left side cover off, remove the negative battery cable (left side on our bikes), remove the positive cable (right side on our bikes), remove the tool kit and the plate behind it, and take the battery out.

1--Be sure the electrolyte level is up to the marks.  If it is low, add just enough distilled water to get it up to the marks.

2--Be sure the terminals are clean and tightly connected when you put everything back together.

IP Logged
Innuendo
YaBB Newbies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FL
Reply #18 - 09/15/09 at 16:04:09

PT Rider... the other stuff seemed easy to me cuz I could get at it, I could take off the seat no problem, putting it back on the one side would always give me a hard time way up under the seat and the things would never line up unless I sat on the dang thing to push it down with all my might... maybe it's a 'girl' issue...lol  Anyway, problems solved so I'm happy.  Thanks for the advice with the battery.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #19 - 09/17/09 at 13:00:19

dasch wrote on 09/12/09 at 10:53:06:
Theory says that a lead-acid (car & motorcycle) battery, if drained once - becomes worthless. It's usually not that bad, but in your case it seems to be. I say you buy a good new battery first, then figure out the rest.

When I first read this thread, I thought to myself - I never have that problem, turning the key off....  well..... the other night I went to the garage to create a ringtone on my phone of my bike running (saw a free one online, which is what gave me the idea, but thought mine sounded better anyway) so I started the bike, let it run for a bit, recorded a few revs.... and just hit the kill-switch when I was done....  leaving the key turned on.... for 2 days now!  Just noticed it this morning and of course my battery is dead.  Guess I'll be looking for a Big Crank too.  

Sad Angry Angry Sad

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #20 - 09/17/09 at 13:28:28

Quoting babyhog:  When I first read this thread, I thought to myself - I never have that problem, turning the key off....  well..... the other night I went to the garage to create a ringtone on my phone of my bike running (saw a free one online, which is what gave me the idea, but thought mine sounded better anyway)

Hey, I like your idea about the ringtone.  I'm gonna try that!  Smiley

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #21 - 09/17/09 at 13:47:31

Amen to that.

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #22 - 09/17/09 at 14:06:12

Quote:
A permanent cure for all possible residual drains is to get a 30 amp switch and locate it on the ground of the battery.
---------------------------------------------------------
The starter doesn't draw more than 30 amps ??

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 09/17/09 at 20:49:26

Innuendo wrote on 09/15/09 at 16:04:09:
PT Rider... the other stuff seemed easy to me cuz I could get at it, I could take off the seat no problem, putting it back on the one side would always give me a hard time way up under the seat and the things would never line up unless I sat on the dang thing to push it down with all my might... maybe it's a 'girl' issue...lol  Anyway, problems solved so I'm happy.  Thanks for the advice with the battery.

Innuendo, A trick to use on anything that has more than one bolt or screw such as the seat is to only thread the bolt or screw about 1/3 to 1/2 in. Then you have more wiggle room for the other bolts to start easier. It is good on the oil filter cover and pretty much essential on the front pulley cover. Always remember to go back and make sure all are snug when you finish. My seat is hard to put on, too. This method helps.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #24 - 09/17/09 at 21:16:39

That is the old mechanic's trick. Don't tighten any of the bolts until you have all of them started. Then, it is usually a good idea to start tightening bolts from the middle and work out to the ends.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 09/18/09 at 07:22:06

& if there are very many bolts , tighten them in stages.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #26 - 09/18/09 at 10:29:42

I'm surfing for batteries...  looked at Big Crank's website.  Is the ETX15L the right one?  What specs do I need to pay attention to?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #27 - 09/18/09 at 10:59:29

that's the model - very good battery

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1138061012/0#0

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #28 - 09/18/09 at 11:07:28

reelthing - thanks!  Everyone responds so quickly, its usually easier than searching...  but I apologize, I should have known that would be an easy thing to search the forum for.
I'm impressed that the price is so good.  Our parts manager (I work for a truck equipment shop) checked with our supplier - Deka - and theirs is more, even at company cost.  One of the guys here had recently gotten a "blemish" battery for his Harley from Deka and it only cost him $28, but they didn't have any blems for my bike.  Bummer.  
I went home at lunch and got my bike and rode back to work.  My husband bump started it for me (heck, I don't even know how, but I guess that's one thing I better learn)  When we got to my office, I hit the kill-switch and he said all the lights went out, even before I shut off the key, so I didn't get much charge on the ride.  D-E-A-D.  Getting the guys to put it on charge until I get off work.  
Thanks again!

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #29 - 09/18/09 at 11:55:47

Well, my guys put it on the diagnostic charger and it will only charge 6.2V and 0 CCA....  says Replace Battery.  So, now I hope I can find one that my husband can pick up and bring to me so I can get home.  I hate to put everything back together and maybe get stuck riding home.  How did I make it here?  LOL  Guess I won't be ordering the Big Crank.  Another expense I didn't need right now!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 11:45:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing the battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.