Send Topic Print
Changing the battery (Read 499 times)
Innuendo
YaBB Newbies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FL
Changing the battery
09/12/09 at 09:45:11

Ok, tad embarassing, I'm a female rider, new..bout 6 months.  I have a aftermarket stereo... I'm constantly having to charge the battery.  The battery drained once (newbie ..left the key on), it drained completely.  Don't know if the battery dies because of the stereo (i d/c the power from the stereo when I'm not riding btw), or if it's because the battery drained completely.  So now, I have to charge it everytime I want to ride.  

2nd question:  Is there any easier way to charge the battery on my ls650 without having to take off the seat? I can't reach the one side to connect the charger if I don't.  

Sorry for such stupid easy questions, but I have to learn somehow right?

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Re: Changing the battery
Reply #1 - 09/12/09 at 10:03:02

i attached wires to the batt. terminals long enough to reach outside the annoying battery box - then just clip charger on those - put a wire nut on when not in use and tuck out of the way

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/12/09 at 10:07:07

Battery tender's come with a little pigtail that you connect permanently to your battery posts.  Once you've hooked it up, charging is easy.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #3 - 09/12/09 at 10:16:03

ive hooked up a water proof 12v car cig lighter socket under my seat

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/12/09 at 10:38:52

I just run the charger clip in the top & clip the hot one on the battery & clamp the neg on the starter , where it bolts to the engine. No hassle.
Sounds like you need a Big Crank first.

But, I do have a Big Crank in there, so maybe its a bit different from the stocker.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 09/12/09 at 10:39:32

Innuendo wrote on 09/12/09 at 09:45:11:
Ok, tad embarassing, I'm a female rider, new..bout 6 months.  I have a aftermarket stereo... I'm constantly having to charge the battery.  The battery drained once (newbie ..left the key on), it drained completely.  Don't know if the battery dies because of the stereo (i d/c the power from the stereo when I'm not riding btw), or if it's because the battery drained completely.  So now, I have to charge it everytime I want to ride.  

2nd question:  Is there any easier way to charge the battery on my ls650 without having to take off the seat? I can't reach the one side to connect the charger if I don't.  

Sorry for such stupid easy questions, but I have to learn somehow right?

You can just put the ground on the motor fins,then you don't have to take off the seat

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/12/09 at 10:53:06

Theory says that a lead-acid (car & motorcycle) battery, if drained once - becomes worthless. It's usually not that bad, but in your case it seems to be. I say you buy a good new battery first, then figure out the rest.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 09/12/09 at 11:47:04

You might also make sure the stereo turns off when the ignition switch is off. Many automotive stereos have two power wires. One is the "keepalive" for the station memory and the clock. The other is the main power wire for the amplifiers and such. Usually the "keepalive" is not switched, but it usually draws insignificant power. The main power wire should be switched, or the small battery on a motorcycle won't last long.

Lead-acid batteries do not like full discharges very much. You will usually get away with it a few times, but not very many. The highly touted Big Crank won't like them either. The problem with sealed batteries involves overcharge conditions - you cannot replace the water when they go dry. Sealed batteries require little maintenance, but the down side is maintenance isn't possible other than cleaning terminals.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/12/09 at 13:19:53

Hey Innuendo, Welcome. I'm confused. Are you embarrassed about being a woman rider, new rider, new on this site? Just kidding. We could take over this forum with stupid things we have done on, to and because of motorcycles.

When I bought my motorcycle battery was so low it wouldn't turn over next day--first charge. Last month left headlight on all day--second charge. Yuasa is hanging in there. Rode 60 miles yesterday and 40 today.

Serowbot has the plan. Battery tender, Jr. $28.95 online PLUS shipping.
Saw one in MC shop last week $32.95 + tax. Leave plug-in hooked up. You need to clean your terminals on cables and battery anyway.

Happy riding, and we are here if you need us. Boofer

IP Logged
Ruddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spokane, WA
Reply #9 - 09/12/09 at 14:56:21

Be sure to check the fluid level in your battery. That much draining and recharging has probably dropped it down too low. Letting the level get down so low that the battery plates are exposed will definitely shorten the battery's life.

Rick
'06 S40
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 09/12/09 at 17:12:50

Could you be exceeding the capacity of the charging system ??
I am new to this bike myself, so I don't know how many amps the system is capable of, but with the headlite on all the time, and then the stereo on, and if under a lot of idling conditions in traffic, maybe its over doing it all.

Maybe someone could tell us how many amps the charging system is good for at speed, and idling also.

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #11 - 09/12/09 at 18:22:42

I've heard the charging system on the Savage is pretty low. Enough to keep the thing running along with the necessary lights and stuff. Perhaps the stereo is too much for it. I'd try running a volt meter on the bike throughout your ride to see how it's doing with keeping everything charged up.

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

As far as the battery... I drained mine once and that was all it took for me to switch over to a Big Crank. I think they're like $57, and then I added a battery tender to the order... Includes the pig tails to attach on and keep on the bike for over the winter.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #12 - 09/14/09 at 08:44:40

Get rid of the old one and buy a closed cell BigCrank.
Once mine drained I never could keep it up and running. Never had a single problem since I installed the new one.

YES - you can access the battery and remove it without taking off the seat. Use a bent style screwdriver to reach the screws. Pull battery out and the rubber hose will 'just' reach so you can set it on the ground.

You can try recharging or re-filling the distilled water, but replacement is really the true solution.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 09/14/09 at 09:12:07

Welcome Innuendo, another new female rider!  As you will see if you stick around this site, most "new" questions seem pretty simple to the new poster, but none of these people seem to mind much.  Everyone is always helpful and knowledgeable, so you've come to the right place!  Read some of the tougher situations... they truly AMAZE me!  

I think the guys dig helping us "poor little girls" out too!   Wink  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #14 - 09/14/09 at 09:55:38

My battery tender pigtail is under my seat.
I Dont have to take the seat off to charge the battery.

But,I had battery problems after I drained it a few times,so I bought the Big Crank.

I'm wondering if there is maybe a different way to hook up the radio to keep it from draining the battery at all. Undecided

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 09:35:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing the battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.