Send Topic Print
OEM Air Cleaner (Read 374 times)
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: OEM Air Cleaner
Reply #15 - 09/17/09 at 01:47:08

It won't. You get a nice, high pitch inhale sound.

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #16 - 09/17/09 at 11:16:28

that's weird I got lots of good noise  i guess you will have to give it a go  its only takes a few mins and its easy to put back

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #17 - 09/18/09 at 10:24:11

A stock-type HiFlo air filter is about $15 available (probably by special order) at most non-Suzuki shops...and at Suzuki shops if you insist that they get it for you.  I think they are high quality.  I'm not a K&N fan, and I don't think they do anything good for an engine except eliminate the need to buy replacement filters.  Instead, you get the messy job of cleaning (and waiting for it to dry) and re-oiling the filter.*  Between Suzuki, HiFlo, and K&N, I choose HiFlo.

Changing the length and/or diameter of the intake will change the power characteristics of the engine.  It might be better, or it might make things worse.  Try your changes and see what you like.  Usually shorter and bigger diameter helps top end power and hurts low and mid range power...only if done right.  A change to the intake might require a jetting change.

*Yes, I've owned K&N and foam air filters for cars & trucks, felt zero difference in performance, had a dirty downstream side of the air box with the K&N, and had the dubious pleasure of cleaning and re-oiling them.

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/18/09 at 20:35:31

Routy wrote on 09/12/09 at 06:35:44:
Just what is it about the stock air filter that makes for the modifications I read about. I don't see anything that could/should be improved.

Rich

I had 1999 Dodge Ram PU with 318 and 90,000miles. Highway mileage was terrible at 13 mpg. I added a Kool Blue air filter ($45) Mobil One synthetic oil ($22) generic catalytic converter ($189 installed). I did these over a period of a year with a little improvement each time. Dodge recalled OE converter and paid me for my generic one later. You can be plugged up before, in, or after the engine, but the results are the same. I am happy with  my near stock Savage, but my truck mileage went to an honest 16.3 mpg highway. BTW sold the truck to pay medical bills with enought left over to buy my first motorcycle in 30 years----the Savage.    Boofer  

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #19 - 09/18/09 at 22:09:06

If I was WOT a lot, perhaps the stock air filter could be improved upon,....even tho I feel/hear no evidence of running rich at WOT.
So being as most my riding is at 1/4 - 1/3 throttle, I doubt there would be anything to gain in the filter end. But, I just did the spacer mod to 1/2 spacer,...we'll see what happens when I get it back together.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
dhtran
YaBB Newbies

If you see this, I
should be studying..

Houston, TX
Reply #20 - 09/20/09 at 07:27:59

PTRider wrote on 09/18/09 at 10:24:11:
I choose HiFlo.

I attempted to look at HiFlo website to find a air filter to fit my 2009 without any luck. This is what I found: http://www.hiflofiltro.com/53.0.html?&L=0&id=23

2009 White Suzuki Boulevard S40 - Clear Signal and Rear Brake Lenses, Side License Plate Mount, and much more to come..
WWW dhtran DavidHaiTran   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #21 - 09/20/09 at 08:14:16

I bought the stock type HiFlo air filter at Motorcycle Superstore....ordered it online....took maybe 3 days to get it.
It was right at $20 shipped.
Looks and fits perfect.
SKU-118837 (the one I ordered)

It is listed under Suzuki ls650 or Savage or S40,cant remember but it is the right one.
Customer Service,to me,was excellent.

(Its actually spelled- Hiflofiltro-so you had that right.Dont know why its not on their list at their website Undecided

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 09/21/09 at 04:53:10

Stock is fine...if that is what you like. I read about this bike for over a year before I bought one. One of the biggest selling points was all the user friendly mods you could make. I look at this bike as the 32 Duce Coupe of motorcycles. You can do almost anything to it, and you can do it cheap! There were VW bugs sold by the millions. Some people turned them in to Baja sand rails and I saw one made into an airplane.
This didn't stop them from being great cars just the way they were.
If you don't believe that changing intake, exhaust, and jetting is for you don't do it. If you don't believe it will make a difference...go borrow one that has been modified and see for yourself.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:43:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › OEM Air Cleaner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.