Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
need carb cleaning advice (Read 436 times)
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

need carb cleaning advice
09/12/09 at 06:18:51

I had fuel leaking from my carburetor vent hoses, and was told that I needed to clean my carburetor, so I did.  I read up on the carburetor cleanup guide by SavageWahine in the technical reference section, and followed her instructions as well as the Clymer instructions.  It went pretty well, and the bike ran well for a week or two, but it's leaking fuel again.

Anyone got any advice on what I can improve?  I followed the directions to a T.  I took it all apart, let everything non-rubber soak for over 30 minutes (the recommended time), blew it all out with compressed air, wiped it down with a "lint-free" cloth.  Heck, it didn't even look that dirty when I took it apart in the first place; it's only got 2500 miles on it.  This is pretty frustrating, cause I just wanna ride...

« Last Edit: 09/17/09 at 09:29:42 by Bryan »  
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: need carb cleaning advice
Reply #1 - 09/12/09 at 06:52:15

Best is to not take carb apart and use Sea-Foam in you gas,It cleans and lubes you carb.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/12/09 at 07:36:35

Could be your petcock...
Here's how to check,...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/12/09 at 07:43:26

Sounds like your float is either sticking alittle or you need a new float valve.

Sticking float can be delt with by a percussive adjustment (rap on the side of the carb with a plastic handle) Really don't know the permanet fix other that to take it apart again and see what's up.

when you took it apart did the tip of the valve have a groove in it?  I have one like that with no problem but if it's more than that like a crack running thru the sealling surface than's its time to replace.

(agh, you guys are way off base this time)

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/12/09 at 07:53:32

It's one or the other...
Float needle/seat is sticking or dirty, or petcock is leaking,...
Could be either,... the petcock is easier to check...

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/12/09 at 08:47:12

float valve must hold, regardless of the petcock. Old bikes had no vacuum thingy.. gees, I keep mine on pri all the time (lazy, careless, I know) since I realised I had a leaking diaphragm. The point is - float must hold it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/12/09 at 09:08:13

dasch,... just so you know,... if the petcock diaphragm ruptures, gas will flow down through the vac line and flood everything below the gas tank,...the float needle will not stop it,... it's not in the circuit...

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/12/09 at 09:27:18

I do know... mine leaked. But Bryan's got fuel coming out of carb vent hoses. And that's float valve.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/12/09 at 09:32:57

dasch is right and not just cause his explaination supports mine.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 09/12/09 at 09:51:33

verslagen1 wrote on 09/12/09 at 09:32:57:
dasch is right and not just cause his explaination supports mine.

Sure.... Grin

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/12/09 at 09:55:48

Well, I've done my part. Now I get that $20 discount on verslavy we talked about??  Wink

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 09/12/09 at 09:57:58

dasch wrote on 09/12/09 at 09:55:48:
Well, I've done my part. Now I get that $20 discount on verslavy we talked about??  Wink

O.K.,... in that case, I agree too!... Huh

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/12/09 at 20:05:55

A rare occurence, but float itself could possibly have hole causing it to sink. Was more common in years past, but I agree with using Seafoam first (As directed on can).    Boofer

IP Logged
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/15/09 at 20:45:21

I took the bottom of the carb off tonight without taking it off the bike, took the float off and the needle valve body and blew some compressed air through it.  Also checked the float valve adjustment, just cause I was there.

I've crossed out a bunch of stuff (I think--see below).  Could it be that the float adjustment needs to be fixed?  I did adjust it somewhat when I took the carb apart; the distance from the bottom of the float to the bottom of the carb as detailed in the Clymer was too much.  But that wouldn't make sense, cause it ran better after I did that (until it started leaking gas again); before I adjusted it, it ran too lean, and I had to give it gas just to keep it running.  And that wouldn't explain why it ran great for the first week or so after I took the carb apart.  And unless if I'm measuring the wrong thing, it's perfectly within the limits.

Did I maybe just miss something?  Maybe some tiny passageway in the carb is clogged and I neglected to blow air through it when I had it apart?  The float valve needle and needle valve body seemed pretty clean and in good condition to me, but the thing's still leaking fuel.  Here's what happens:  I start it with the choke halfway out, after about 30 seconds put choke in, let it run a little to warm up, it dies on its own.  I restart it, but it won't start without me giving it gas, so I do.  Next thing I know, gas is pouring out of the vent hoses.

Does it matter if I'm on an incline or if I'm letting it idle while it's leaning on the kickstand?  Maybe a dumb question, but I'm still learning.

bill67 wrote on 09/12/09 at 06:52:15:
  Best is to not take carb apart and use Sea-Foam in you gas,It cleans and lubes you carb.

That was what I did when I first got the bike, cause it was running super rough and backfiring as soon as I gave it gas.  Sea Foam fixed that, but then it started leaking fuel after it would warm up, which is why I took the carb apart the first time.

Serowbot wrote on 09/12/09 at 07:36:35:
Could be your petcock...
Here's how to check,...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

I checked the vacuum line right after it started leaking fuel, and it was free of gas.

verslagen1 wrote on 09/12/09 at 07:43:26:
Sounds like your float is either sticking alittle or you need a new float valve.

Sticking float can be delt with by a percussive adjustment (rap on the side of the carb with a plastic handle)

I tried tapping on the side of it with a wrench.  Didn't help.

What if the space where the float pivots is too tight?  That would make it stick, right?  What else would make it stick, and what else would fix it?

verslagen1 wrote on 09/12/09 at 07:43:26:
when you took it apart did the tip of the valve have a groove in it?  I have one like that with no problem but if it's more than that like a crack running thru the sealling surface than's its time to replace.

Nope, the valve looked nearly perfect from what I could tell.

qn7qcw7 wrote on 09/12/09 at 20:05:55:
A rare occurence, but float itself could possibly have hole causing it to sink. Was more common in years past, but I agree with using Seafoam first (As directed on can).    Boofer

I don't think it has a hole in it.  I tossed it in the can of carb cleaner with everything else, and it stayed afloat the whole time, and didn't have any liquid in it.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #14 - 09/15/09 at 20:54:03

It runs and idles while on the kickstand?

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:34:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › need carb cleaning advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.