Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My take on Diamond Jim's Longshot exhaust (Read 175 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

My take on Diamond Jim's Longshot exhaust
09/11/09 at 17:18:41

Here is my take on Diamond Jim's longshot exhaust and baffle.
I didn't add the cone to the end of the baffle, and I had to guess at the dimensions, but I believe it to be true to his design. Note, his design was for a two inch pipe and mine is for 1 ¾  inch. The longshot was a direct bolt up with no adapter. The heat shield is a universal shield 12 inches long.
I find it to be a low and rich tone. I need to play with the white spacer a little more (one half thickness now) but midrange is pretty good. It pulls strong through 85 then starts to struggle. Low end is still weak.
I made a number of  baffles using brazing rod before getting the local muffler shop to “weld”one for me. The other ones are littering I-17 in pieces. None made it past 20 miles.
PS. Lancer helped with the rejetting instructions...as usual he appears to be dead right! Man, there is a wealth of talent in this group!!!

« Last Edit: 09/12/09 at 01:07:15 by JohnBoy »  
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: My take on Diamond Jim's Longshot exhaust
Reply #1 - 09/11/09 at 17:37:17

If you can get a baffle with fiberglass wrap in there the fiberglass wrap takes some of the high sound out and gives a lower sound.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 09/11/09 at 20:09:10

Pics are a little small, but it looks very similar to diamon jims.

His was 1 3/4" pipe too. He used a 2" baffle that he cut down and fabricated to fit in his pipe. He had a reason for it, but I don't remember anymore.

I went with his design too. Put the baffle right after the bend in the pipe and it sounds great. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/12/09 at 01:24:19

Jim replaced his exhaust with a 2 inch and then designed a diffuser, as he called it. The plan allowed about 25% of the gas to go through the center while the rest was forced around the edges making a 90 degree bend down into the diffuser. The gas flow then combined back into one stream. As it expanded it was forced to make a second 90 degree bend through a second diffuser plate.
Jim's design included a "trumpet bell" shaped “torque cone”at the end of the pipe. I don't remember the exact link but he posted it the same time he started having medical issues.
As I understood his design, he was trying to have the gas redirected to provide a back pressure wave, reduce the sound, and at the same time allow the total volume of gas to be free flowing. In keeping true to that idea, the total area of the holes in the front of my diffuser is greater than the total area of the inside diameter of the exhaust pipe.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #4 - 09/12/09 at 15:34:57

VERY nice, surely produces a nice, deep sound
but I think it's too long and therefore must be
secured somehow in the middle or so, if not
bike's vibrations will break it lose eventually.

just my 2cts, L8r

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #5 - 09/12/09 at 18:24:34

Ahh - I don't remember seeing that post from him.

I'm still on his original design and it seems to be working fine for me. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 09/12/09 at 19:28:02

If you are going to use fiberglass wrapping on the baffle start the bike up outside, not in the garage. It will keep fiberglass dust from coating all the flat surfaces in the garage. I had that happen once when I repacked a baffle.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:34:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My take on Diamond Jim's Longshot exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.