Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Harley Question here ?
09/10/09 at 20:35:33

Can I ask a Harley question here ?
Like,.......what makes up the Harley sound ?
Some guy tryin to tell me that it come from both cylinders coming up on comp and firing at the same time. I say, BS ! I'm not buyin that.
Anyone know how they fire, and/or what really makes up the sound ?

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Harley Question here ?
Reply #1 - 09/10/09 at 21:04:10

The cylinders share a common crank pin and are 45 degrees apart.  So they can't possibly fire at the same time. They're off by an 8th turn of the crank.  I have no idea why people think this sounds like the word "potato" or why it's so great.. if you want thump, get a single  Wink

HD once tried to patent this configuration and the sound Harleys make; just another reason I'll never buy one.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #2 - 09/10/09 at 21:57:13

Actually,  There is no "Harley Sound".  There are lots of different Harley Sounds. If you listen, and pay attention, you will see that every model of Harley has a different sound.  A pan head sounds different from a shovel head, sounds different from an evo, sounds different from a dual cam.  Any long time Harley rider can not only tell you that the bike they are hearing is a Harley, they can tell you what model.  For my own taste, I have always loved the cadence and sound of a shovel. (Wouldn't own one bacause you have to do a top end every 5k or so, but love the sound.)

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 09/10/09 at 22:41:42

Thanks all,......I found a little more info on this also.
I kinda like the sound too, but thats as far as the Harley goes.
I really like my "thumper"

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/10/09 at 23:33:24

Routy,
I used to ride Kawasaki Two-Stroke Triples. Ring ding. My riding buddy had a BSA twin 500 or 650, can't remember (This was around 1973.) I don't know what year it was either, but it had the best sound I ever heard. We swapped frequently when riding, and I was always downshifting his without the clutch. His shifter was on the right, so I naturally stomped it when braking.  He was always sliding my rear tire, because my shifter was on the left, and he stomped my brake thinking it was his shifter. Harder to remember than you might think.

I'm going to see if I can find a youtube of the old BSA exhaust. Thanks for reminding me.    Boofer

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 09/11/09 at 05:17:46

I remember the old BSA, a friend had one,....it was a real thumper,.....w/ manual compression relief and all. It was a fun ride,....if you could get it started. But In those days, I wasn't big enough to start anything but my 305 super hawk w elc start ! Undecided

Rich

Rich
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/11/09 at 08:19:25

I saw a show about the Harley plant. How threy build them & all the engineering they would show the public. They hade a room where they analyzed the sound & worked on the sound. It was a big deal to them. & No, they wouldnt show much of what it entailed. Some, but they hid a good bit of that part.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 09/11/09 at 09:49:11

I read somewhere that part of the sound, especially at idle, involved "charge stealing" from one cylinder to the other through their common "Y" manifold. It was said that about one in ten times one or other cylinder missed fire because of that. When they had to go to fuel injection to meet EPA standards the missed fires went away, and so did some of the sound. Apparently it gave Harley fits trying to get their sound back.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/11/09 at 10:07:14

So they programmed the EFI to be inefficient to get the sound back?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #9 - 09/11/09 at 14:55:16

I was waiting at the local dealer (HD, Suzuki, Yahmamma, Honda) a few days ago when this young lad came to pick up his ride. The service manager told him that they had completed his routine maintenance and had to add an oz of oil to each cylinder (or something like that). Gave him a bill for $239.00! I guess I'll drill some holes in my muffler and call it good enough!

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 09/11/09 at 16:51:25

Routy wrote on 09/10/09 at 20:35:33:
Can I ask a Harley question here ?
Like,.......what makes up the Harley sound ?
Some guy tryin to tell me that it come from both cylinders coming up on comp and firing at the same time. I say, BS ! I'm not buyin that.
Anyone know how they fire, and/or what really makes up the sound ?

Rich

What make the Harley sound is because its a v-twin 45 degree The Moto Guzzi is a 90 degree and has a V-8 car sound.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #11 - 09/11/09 at 21:29:49

....what makes up the Harley sound ?

It goes kinda: "Ka-Ching!" every time you go in for
accessories, service and of course ...REPAIRS.

So there ya' go.  Wink

---------------------------------------

....oh!  wait, wait, I have another one
It also goes "Thump!" when you drop the 750lb sucker on its side  Cheesy

« Last Edit: 09/12/09 at 13:41:09 by Stimpy - FSO »  

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #12 - 09/12/09 at 04:35:51

Harleys are so over-rated. Everyone and there brother has one. The bike show I went to last weekend was overpowered with HD's. Far as I know, I was the only S40 there.... I barely got off the bike when a guy came up to check out mine and complimented it over and over and over. He loved the big single. Smiley

07 S40
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #13 - 09/12/09 at 06:51:20

The sound is from the engine running rich. After my bike is warmed up I can put it on half choke and it will sound like a V-Twin at idle. I get compliments about the big single too, though most people can't believe its a 650.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #14 - 09/12/09 at 09:06:20

4carbcorvair wrote on 09/12/09 at 04:35:51:
Harleys are so over-rated. Everyone and there brother has one. The bike show I went to last weekend was overpowered with HD's. Far as I know, I was the only S40 there.... I barely got off the bike when a guy came up to check out mine and complimented it over and over and over. He loved the big single. Smiley

No joke.  The last time I went to the Rebulic of Texas bike rally, of course it was jam-packed with Harleys.  I putt over there on my 20 year old bone stock Honda Hawk (v-twin, water cooled, dual crankpins) and people are looking at it like I just rolled off a space ship.. ooh so HIGH TECH  Grin  I should have punched out the exhaust and made it loud, then they really would have gone nuts.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:23:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Harley Question here ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.