Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DIY Motorcycle luggage on the cheap! (Read 506 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

DIY Motorcycle luggage on the cheap!
09/10/09 at 13:18:35

Make your own motorcycle luggage on the cheap!
I purchased an American Tourister overnight bag at goodwill for $3.00, forty at Wallyworld. I had removed the sissybar pad because it is “butt ugly”. This left me the opportunity to stitch a pocket the right size to go down over the top of the sissy bar to the cross member. I attached a nylon belt to the back of the pocket and sewed the pocket to the center back of the bag. It only takes a second or two to push the pocket down over the sissybar and latch the belt; and, it is just as easy to remove. I used the same fabric that the bag was made from to make the pocket, but I'm sure that any stout fabric and bag would work. Nelson-Rigg Laptop bag $134.00...my total cost, under $20.00!

« Last Edit: 09/12/09 at 01:40:40 by JohnBoy »  
  IP Logged
TestPro

Show up, shut up,
catch up!

Florida
Re: DIY Motorcycle luggage on the cheap!
Reply #1 - 09/10/09 at 17:08:11

Sweet! Execellent work. Been considering the same idea, nice to see it.

Cheers,

TestPro
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #2 - 09/10/09 at 17:38:08

I think we all like to see things done like this!
And be able to save money!

Very Nice job!! Will that also work as a backrest?

I just wish there was a Goodwill store near me. They have great prices,and alot of good stuff! Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #3 - 09/10/09 at 20:12:48

that ought to work!  nice job

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/11/09 at 02:12:42

Much nicer looking than my gym bag that runs the lenfgth of the seat & hangs off, over the tail light. I LIKE seeing stuff liike this. It makes me feel better than cheap, it makes me feel frugal.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #5 - 09/11/09 at 03:06:19

Looks great!  Very professional stitchery -- and the nylon band going through the sissybar looks quite effective.

Freespirit -- you really don't miss the pad.  The sissybar just tells your passenger where the seat ends.  S/he should be leaning a bit forward.  Leaning back on a backrest just takes a lot of weight off the front wheel and screws up handling!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #6 - 09/11/09 at 04:04:39

JohnBoy wrote on 09/10/09 at 13:18:35:
Make your own motorcycle luggage on the cheap!
I purchased an American Tourister overnight bag at goodwill for $3.00, forty at Wallyworld. I had removed the sissybar pad because it is “butt ugly”. This left me the opportunity to stitch a pocket the right size to go down over the top of the sissy bar to the cross member. I attached a nylon belt to the back of the pocket and sewed the pocket to the center back of the bag. It only takes a second or two to push the pocket down over the sissybar and latch the belt; and, it is just as easy to remove. I used the same fabric that the bag was made from to make the pocket, but I'm sure that any stout fabric and bag would work. Nelson-Rigg Laptop bag $134.00...my total cost, under $20.00!
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_TCSH6bqjHEM/SqlaUdxFPyI/AAAAAAAAASU/4rOPvLzkwzM/s128/P1...
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_TCSH6bqjHEM/SqlaZhPtAnI/AAAAAAAAARI/_5BG0VoUUJE/s640/P1...
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_TCSH6bqjHEM/SqlahgJr_RI/AAAAAAAAARA/ccpCceQwj9M/s640/P1...

AWESOME, JohnBoy! Wink

You are now officially a "C.E.C." Cost Efficiency Connoisseur!

GREAT job, man!

Cool

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #7 - 09/11/09 at 05:52:32

Cool idea. I was searching for a tailpack but didn't want to spend $89+ for one. Found a kid's mini-backpack at Wallyworld, $9.95. Worked great for a year now. Started carrying my lunch to work & needed a bigger one, so found one for $5.00! Just a bigger backpack, Wallyworld again. Put it on last week & very happy with it. Until my wife finds a job, every nickel counts right now.  Smiley

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/11/09 at 08:12:30

Yep, I have 2 backpacks I can strap on if I need more room. The gym bag stays, so I can haul quite a bit. I did cut a piece of the heavy plastic off a junked out trailer house door to slip inside the backpacks to stiffen them up & keep them out of the wheel & added D-rings to tie them down to the swing arm. Once thats done, you really dont want to try to get air over a railroad track or do anything that makes it swing up & down too hard...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #9 - 09/13/09 at 18:32:33

drharveys - FSO wrote on 09/11/09 at 03:06:19:
Looks great!  Very professional stitchery -- and the nylon band going through the sissybar looks quite effective.

Freespirit -- you really don't miss the pad.  The sissybar just tells your passenger where the seat ends.  S/he should be leaning a bit forward.  Leaning back on a backrest just takes a lot of weight off the front wheel and screws up handling!

No,I meant using the bag as the riders backrest,just for a little back support.
I dont have passengers Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #10 - 09/14/09 at 02:54:22

I did something similar with a cooler from wallyworld. Cost was 10 - 15 bucks (I think) and gives me plenty of storage. It's also nice to throw in a freezer pack and have a cold drink when I stop to take a break. I put a piece of foam in the front pocket and it makes a good drivers backrest. Heres a couple pics.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #11 - 09/14/09 at 04:28:02

Y'all want storage check this out

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/14/09 at 05:27:48

Whoa! Nice work. Does that fasten in place of the side rails. if so how die you mount the sissybar?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 09/14/09 at 05:35:07

Id probably radius the corners a bit. One day you may rip yaz drawz on that. Or, maybe some kid being dragged along by Mommy will peel his forehead?
Heck of a great tray.

IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #14 - 09/14/09 at 05:46:17

Fastens to the side rails on the out side of them.... put red rubber gasket material between....  I did lessen the sharp edges abit with a grinder, and round off the corners... it is all bolted on no welding

Dang kid needs to watch where he is being draggedSmiley

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 12:28:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DIY Motorcycle luggage on the cheap!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.