Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone try Harley 883 stock bars? (Read 142 times)
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Anyone try Harley 883 stock bars?
09/10/09 at 12:56:02

I went to the Suzuki dealer, sat on bikes, measured bars, looked at catalogs.  I have the late drag bars now, and find I can lean forward to them and be comfortable, except I have my toes on the pegs, or I can put my feet on the pegs and have the bars too far away.  And a little low.  

So when I add all the numbers up I come up with the Parts Unlimited 883 style bars - which appear to simply be an aftermarket stock 883 bar.  I can get a stock Harley bar via eBay.  Anyone ever try one?  

All I need is a bit further back and a bit higher.  Not a great deal.  About 1.5" to 2.5" diagonally up and back.  

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Anyone try Harley 883 stock bars?
Reply #1 - 09/10/09 at 13:09:35

A buddy of mine has stock 883 bars on an old '86 Savage ... mounted on the OEM buck-horn bar clamps (the low ones) ... feels and steers great! Very comfortable!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/10/09 at 14:43:47

I have Highway Hawk Risers and Bars.

My bike came with both Buckhorns and drag bars with higher Risers.

With short Legs and arms I was not getting the right leverage on the clutch with my thumb with the drag bars and was using the side to side thumb muscles not the bendy forward ones:>)
this was not as nature intended and it really began to hurt.
The hawk bars are wider than the buckhorns but probably pull back about the same amount.

I was told to sit on the bike with eyes closed and put my hands on imaginary bars, then with the help of the catalogue and measuring, the right combination was found for me.

Therefore to order Harley ones blind may not be whats best.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 09/10/09 at 15:33:12

I got lucky and found mine on ebay for $5 + $12 s/h.  No name brand was listed, I didn't really care.  I figured for $17, I couldn't go too wrong if I didn't like them.  (They were really ugly, with alot of sticky crap, but they cleaned up fantastic!)  I just liked the shape, rise, pullback, and look, so I took the chance.  

My reason for replying now is to mention that your cables might not be long enough for just any ole set of bars.  Do a search, others have posted what they did as solutions.  I had to remove the risers that were stock with my drag bars, so the new bars were lower at the center point, but they still brought my hands up and toward me a bit.  It wasn't as easy a change as I had hoped, we had to re-route some cables and some are stretched about to their max, but I'm happy I did it.  It is definitely a more comfortable riding position, and they look much better to me.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/10/09 at 16:13:29

I don't know if these were from an 883 or a 1200 but definitely a Sportster. The risers are also Sportster. They came in bright chrome, but I buffed then down with 600grit to give a satin look. The change over was pretty simple. I love the difference in ride. The stock Savage buckhorns had my elbows poking against my ribs in every turn, ( I got some 2004's if you want them).

« Last Edit: 09/12/09 at 01:32:13 by JohnBoy »  
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/10/09 at 16:18:25

Somehow going to a dealer, measuring everything, and selecting a bar design that accomplishes my goals without much change in configuration doesn't seem like going blind.  If anything, it's the opposite.  

I seem to have the usual amounts of slack.  If I need to get cables, well.  Then I'll get replacement cables & casings made up.  There seems to be plenty of slack for what I have in mind, or I wouldn't have started looking for bars without additional consideration.  

Really, the drag bars are odd on this design bike, which is a sort of cruiser.  Might work for short people who sit forward on the seat.  But with longer legs and sitting fairly far back, the bars require about 2" more reach than I find comfortable.

I'm also looking ahead to a Corbin seat, which will no doubt cement me at the rear limit for the most part.

I'm finding stock 883 bars and the rise/pullback equivalents on eBay, so it shouldn't take too long to come up with an inexpensive set.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #6 - 09/10/09 at 16:34:22

I had FLH bars on mine. just about perfect. Used 1" 9/16 sockets for risers.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #7 - 09/11/09 at 08:05:40

Have em myself on mine.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #8 - 09/11/09 at 18:15:21

I put a Sportster Drag Bar on my bike with the stock buckhorn risers.  I am very happy with the way the bike handles now.  I used two 1" corks and a whole lot of BB's to help with the vibes, and put some bar end weights on as will.  I still get a curious vibe at 65 mph but otherwise she is smooth.

(Raining, so I will update this post with a pic ASAP)

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:23:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone try Harley 883 stock bars?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.