Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Muffler question (Read 269 times)
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Muffler question
09/10/09 at 12:22:39

I am thinking of changing my exhaust this winter. What about the $20 slip ons from JC Witless? Any thing that I should use?

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Muffler question
Reply #1 - 09/10/09 at 14:20:10

They're a lot more cheaply made than Harley mufflers.... will probably blue fast, and burn out quickly... and be very loud...
I'd recommend Harley take-offs...  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #2 - 09/10/09 at 14:42:44

There's a video of a girls savage on YouTube.She has a universal muffler from JCW that sounds good.Not too loud,but good.
Dont know how much it cost though.Her husband works on hers.
And Ive mentioned it here but honestly cant remember if anyone commented on it.

I'll find the video link and put it up.

But I think the Harley Dyna muffler is pretty cheap.Or you can get them pretty cheap.
So Serowbot's suggestion is probably best.
But I did like the sound of the universal one Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #3 - 09/10/09 at 15:54:46

About what am I looking at pricewise for the Dyna?

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #4 - 09/10/09 at 16:11:52

I'm not sure but seems like the guys get them pretty cheap from what I've noticed in the forum.

I would try calling a Harley place and see if they have any they've swapped out.
Or even a local Bike repair shop that works on Harleys and see if they have any.And get a price.

Or ebay!
I'm just trying to give you some suggestions until the guys notice your post Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #5 - 09/10/09 at 16:40:42

I have recieved lots of compliments on my Dyna muffler. It gives it a little rumble without being obnoxiously loud. I picked up a complete new take-off Dyna exhaust, including header pipes, two mufflers, all clamps, heat shields for $10 on eBay. Shipping cost me much more than the exhaust. I gave my brother the second muffler for his 250 Suzuki.

07 S40
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/10/09 at 16:58:48

You can increase the loudness of the Dyna.   Using a 5/16" dia.,  12" long drill bit and entering through the outlet of the Dyna, drill a hole at the 12, 4 and 8 o'clock positions, through the baffle.  Drill one hole at a time and test to see if it is loud enough.  I settled for 2 holes.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #7 - 09/10/09 at 17:33:01

4carbcorvair wrote on 09/10/09 at 16:40:42:
I have recieved lots of compliments on my Dyna muffler. It gives it a little rumble without being obnoxiously loud. I picked up a complete new take-off Dyna exhaust, including header pipes, two mufflers, all clamps, heat shields for $10 on eBay. Shipping cost me much more than the exhaust. I gave my brother the second muffler for his 250 Suzuki.

Did either of the header pipes fit the Savage?  With or without modification?  Just curious. Huh

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #8 - 09/10/09 at 17:41:20

I just checked real quick on ebay and there are a ton of harley dynas for sale. What about pipe size, etc? Do they all fir or do they all have to be modified?

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/10/09 at 17:47:56

This has been a confusing issue for a long time.  If you do a search on this site, you should come up with a great deal about it.  Apparently there are a number of HD mufflers that will not fit easily, and many members have had to make alterations to their Dynas to make them fit, so perhaps all Dynas are not the same.  I have been lucky and my muffler fit on with little effort and no alterations to anything.  It does not leak.  The only info I can give you are the numbers on the side of the muffler:

64941-01

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/10/09 at 18:02:44

Make sure you dont get anything with a crossover port. And some of the super new ones have catalytic converters but I've only seen two or three of those on ebay. I dont know if those ones would work or not but i wouldnt spend the money to find out.  There are two types of muffler mounts , tab and rail. Get the rail mount type. You'll need to cut up and fold a soda can to shim between the Muffler ID and header OD. And a better exhaust clamp.

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #11 - 09/11/09 at 03:24:54

Now that you mention it, I am pretty sure that there is a tech post about a dyna install. The soda can or something similiar is no biggie, could probably find a shop to bend and weld if necessary. In fact a friend of mine owns a garage and 2 Harleys. Thanks people!

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #12 - 09/11/09 at 08:38:44

I Googled Gort's part number and found this site.  http://www.americancustom.com/products/slip-on-mufflers/dyna.html

They have a links so you can listen to the sound!  Sweeeet!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/11/09 at 09:42:44

I listened to the sound for the muffler they offer and to my ears it sounds almost identical in volume and depth of tone to my Dyna with 2 holes drilled through the baffle.  Since you can get Dynas dirt cheap, it might be worth trying drilling 1 to 3 holes in the baffle to see if you like it, before buying that very expensive muffler in the ad.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #14 - 09/11/09 at 09:56:52

Thanks for that info, Gort.  I'm glad the sound is accurate.  If you click the LISTEN link on the banner at the top, all the sound links are on one page... easier to compare.  It looks to me like the ones with "big deep growl" don't come with a baffle??  
I found a few on fleabay, as you said dirt cheap.  I was holding off doing this mod, but now I'm really considering it.  Man I like that sound!  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 21:18:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.