Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
When to not choke a cold engine? (Read 179 times)
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
When to not choke a cold engine?
09/09/09 at 19:14:41

I was wondering if anyone else found that the engine warms up better on hot days with no choke.

Any guesses on the temperature where the switch is?

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: When to not choke a cold engine?
Reply #1 - 09/09/09 at 19:35:05

I just listen.  Full choke only for a very short time.  Then gradually click in.  Doesn't take long.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/09/09 at 19:40:59

Gasoline vaporizes slowly on cool days and faster on warm or hot days. The choke creates a rich fuel/air mixture to offset the slow rate of vaporization. That's why most of us don't have to use choke on hot days.

I would guess that each machine would be different according to tune or overall condition of the engine.  Boofer

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #3 - 09/09/09 at 19:53:22

qn7qcw7 wrote on 09/09/09 at 19:40:59:
I would guess that each machine would be different according to tune or overall condition of the engine.  Boofer

Are you implying that these bikes are a bit idiosyncratic?

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/09/09 at 20:04:49

Charles Manson is a "bit idiosyncratic". Our bikes are like a two year old child after a trip to Chuckie Cheese.   Boofer

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #5 - 09/09/09 at 20:53:38

The point is well made..if you have to choke it to start on a day when the temp is over 60 (F) then you probably should consider making some adjustments. Smiley

IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #6 - 09/10/09 at 16:37:48

Trippah wrote on 09/09/09 at 20:53:38:
The point is well made..if you have to choke it to start on a day when the temp is over 60 (F) then you probably should consider making some adjustments. Smiley  

I had to choke mine anytime it sat for extended amounts. After my main, pilot, and spacer mod, I haven't needed the choke.

07 S40
  IP Logged
JustPassinThru
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/14/09 at 22:27:49

Using a choke will flood the cylinder walls with gasoline, which washes down past the rings and into the crankcase.

Diluting the oil and increasing wear.

This, according to my Jeep wrench, is why fuel-injected cars are lasting so much longer than the old carbureted models of yesteryear...the fuel injection limits this cold-start issue and feeds the RIGHT AMOUNT of fuel for a start...no washdown, no oil dilution, less wear.

At least, when the FI is working right.

So...my own hard-and-fast rule, FWIW is...don't use the choke unless absolutely necessary.  I've found my own machine starts right up cold, no goosing the throttle, no choke...this in 65-70 degree temps.  

Of course it doesn't run very well under load, so I let it idle for about fifteen minutes before starting out.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 09/15/09 at 00:14:48

I adjusted my fuel/air screw a bit (to run a bit richer) and now Bike will start on 1/2 choke pretty much down to freezing temps. Gentle Ride for a kilometer or so then choke all the way in ... of course on a warm day doesn't require any choke at all ...
My previous '03 Savage which had stock set-up on everything, the usual ritual on a standard cool-ish Nfld, day was; full choke to start, no throttle ... immeaditly push in to 1/2 choke, idle for a minute, gentle Ride for about 1km, choke all the way in ... smooth running!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/15/09 at 01:04:35

My bike will not start at any temp with full choke. It just wont. I usually pull it out to half choke for a minute or two as per the manual.  If its 70ish I dont NEED any choke but the bike starts off stumbly for a minute or so then smoothes out so I usually pull the choke half way no matter what even if only for 30 seconds or so. The only time I dont need some choke is if I've ridden within the last 4 hours. If I stop and chill at home a while and get back on within a few hours Im good.

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #10 - 09/15/09 at 09:30:04

I don't never choke no cold engine - no how, nosirree.

mine is unmodified and it starts best with full choke, let it run for 10 seconds then 1/2 choke for 3 minutes until warm.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 09/15/09 at 09:47:20

between you and bill I have a headache. Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:22:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › When to not choke a cold engine?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.