Horsepower (Read 936 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: Horsepower
Reply #45 - 01/15/20 at 15:45:39

DesertCat, I can't do a comparison but I can give some feedback on the LS650. I did a lot of 'seat of the pants' testing with a tach installed when I installed the Dyna muffler and rejetted (I don't think the mod added heaps of power so the info is still spplicable).

Yes the bike will hit 80 miles per hour easily. I got to about 90 (on the Speedo, so allow for error) at about 6000 rpm. The acceleration rate dropped off considerably for those last 10 miles per hour until it pretty much peaked out at 93 miles per hour.

The very first thing I noticed about the bike is you don't need to get the revs up to feel the pull. The acceleration/torque 'curve' just feels like a straight line right from the start up to 80 miles per' hour - in general riding in the street.

In testing for acceleration and top speed in a straight line. WOT, and paying close attention, you can feel the torque at its peak somewhere between 3500 - 4500 rpm (I think theres a chart somewhere on this site that confirms that).

But for the most part, considering the kind of riding you describe, there's not really a discernable 'power band' as such. Just twist, go, and glance in the mirror, as you're about to click into third gear, to see the cars looking small behind you  Grin

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #46 - 01/15/20 at 15:53:24

Thanks IslandRoad.  I have read reviews that say the torque/power is at lower RPMs.

I'm just curious about the power -- I've only sat on one but never ridden one.  

Have you ever ridden a DR650?  Its engine has also been around a few years . . .

IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #47 - 01/15/20 at 16:06:56

This is promising, because I weigh about 210 lbs.

This video shows a guy and his wife riding a 2015 S40, stock, and he gets it up to 80 MPH indicated.  He states that their combined weight is as much as the bike (381 lbs).  I also noticed his mirrors were pretty clear (no horrible vibes) at speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKomhsXxjbA

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #48 - 01/15/20 at 18:21:58

Sorry, I haven't ridden the DR600.

As for the power - I sometimes carry a pillion and honestly I forget she's on there sometimes. Except those moments at a stop when she needs to adjust her position and pushes on the ground with one foot!!!

The power of the bike is kinda interesting. It's not gonna throw you off the back or pop the front wheel - it just digs deep and pulls.

As for the mirrors, I can't remember what they were like with the stock tall risers and stock drag bars. But with every other setup I've run the mirrors vibrate a lot. I was riding with a friend. When they were behind me it looked like 4 or 5 bikes in the mirror.

Keep in mind the stock drag bars have very substantial weights welded into them for anti-vibration. I'll be adding something similar to my next set as the vibration, at speed, currently can make my thumbs numb.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #49 - 01/15/20 at 18:42:14

@IslandRoad -- thanks again!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 11:30:00