Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What is considered a "high milage" bike? (Read 366 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: What is considered a "high milage" bike?
Reply #15 - 09/09/09 at 19:31:36

Mattdw wrote on 09/09/09 at 12:06:43:
verslagen1 wrote on 09/09/09 at 11:38:46:
7k is after 1st and 2nd service so ask to see records

At the risk of sounding stupid...what is the 1st and 2nd service?
Can I find these in the Clymer manual??

see if you can download the owners manual, it will explain better than I.  And you'll see all of the features of the bike and can ask relavant questions of the owner.  When I bought the PO didn't even know how to check the oil.

http://home.comcast.net/~kenglong/2002_Suzuki_Savage_LS650P_Owners_Manual.pdf

WWW   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #16 - 09/09/09 at 20:00:26

My bike had 20K on it when Biddie bought her. Runs like a champ. Never darkened the door of a shop. It's all relative...... Shocked

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #17 - 09/10/09 at 09:55:26

verslagen1 wrote on 09/09/09 at 19:31:36:
Mattdw wrote on 09/09/09 at 12:06:43:
verslagen1 wrote on 09/09/09 at 11:38:46:
7k is after 1st and 2nd service so ask to see records

At the risk of sounding stupid...what is the 1st and 2nd service?
Can I find these in the Clymer manual??

see if you can download the owners manual, it will explain better than I.  And you'll see all of the features of the bike and can ask relavant questions of the owner.  When I bought the PO didn't even know how to check the oil.

http://home.comcast.net/~kenglong/2002_Suzuki_Savage_LS650P_Owners_Manual.pdf

If you can't find or can't download the owner's manual on this site, I have it in a PDF file and can email it to you. Wink

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #18 - 09/10/09 at 12:00:12

Mileage is not as important as who was riding it.  You can thresh a good bike in a few thousand miles.  A competant owner is the first thing to look for.  If the guy has multiple piercings, tatoos all over and green hair, and smells of Whacky Tobacca just RUN AWAY. You can bet he didn't take care of his bike any better than he took care of his body.
The best thing going for you right now is SEPTEMBER.  The riding season is over most places.  Around here, (Washington State) if a bike, trailer, jet ski or 4 wheeler or boat is not SOLD by the 4th of July, the dealers are looking at holding it over winter and paying interest on it for months.  This time of year I'd deduct around 25% from a peak season price.
If the guy thought he was building something from Orange County Choppers and did a "bobber' job with a hacksaw, I would offer garage sale price of $50.  No resale value - period.
The more the bike has been modified by an amateur, the less it is worth.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #19 - 09/11/09 at 09:52:28

Hey, thanks for everyone input. I'm checking the bike out tomorrow. I'm somewhat concerned about the whole cam chain adjustment thing. What could I expect in terms of mileage on an original cam chain adjuster???
It doesn't look like it would be hard to replace (if needed) over the winter. Plus I'd like to stick an aftermarket exhaust and jet kit on there. I've also heard rumours of there not being a stop on the adjuster and it could drop into the case and cause all sorts of mayhem...any truth to that?
Thanks

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 09/11/09 at 10:04:33

Bubba wrote on 09/11/09 at 09:52:28:
What could I expect in terms of mileage on an original cam chain adjuster???

I've also heard rumours of there not being a stop on the adjuster and it could drop into the case and cause all sorts of mayhem...

Somewhere between 10 and 30 thousand miles. I recommend checking every 5,000 miles.  Take measurements and we can predict when service will be needed.

Yes the unmodified adjuster can do that if you don't keep an eye on it.
Modify to a Verslavy and forget about it.

WWW   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #21 - 09/11/09 at 10:05:22

Yes, it is true that the cam chain adjuster can reach its limit and fall to pieces in your crankcase.  Most people say replace at 20K, although I did ride 51,000 miles on my original one.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #22 - 09/14/09 at 09:35:21

Done deal!!!! I bought the bike...just can't stop smilin'...anyway thanks for everyones help with what to look out for. I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get an owners manual?
Still have a few weeks of riding weather left and then I have to sit here and look at it till next spring...thankfully ski season is just around the corner... Smiley

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 09/14/09 at 10:33:07

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #24 - 09/14/09 at 10:50:17

thanks verslagen1 but it tells me the site's disabled????

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: What is considered a "high milage" b
Reply #25 - 09/14/09 at 11:16:04

Sorry, I'll have to post a new link later.

If someone can send to me, I can do it now.

WWW   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #26 - 09/14/09 at 13:55:44

Bubba wrote on 09/14/09 at 09:35:21:
Done deal!!!! I bought the bike...just can't stop smilin'...anyway thanks for everyones help with what to look out for. I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get an owners manual?
Still have a few weeks of riding weather left and then I have to sit here and look at it till next spring...thankfully ski season is just around the corner... Smiley

I've got the owner's manual in a PDF file.  PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.........Guy (serenity3743)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 21:18:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What is considered a "high milage" bike?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.