Send Topic Print
A few questions (Read 166 times)
jarroyo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

A few questions
09/08/09 at 18:01:57

OK so i'm getting more into my savage Kart build and I'm at the point where I'm trying to get the motor running. My questions are as follows.

1: What size fuel pump should I run since the gravity fed principle won't work now?

2: What is the blue wire that I accidently ripped out the right back of the transmission?

3: Does anyone have an idea of the simplest way to wire the engine to run? I don't know the first thing about motorcycle engines so I don't know where to start. I guess I just need to supply power to the coil and it obviously recieves a pickup signal from somewhere to fire the plug. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

BTW the motor is off an 04 if that helps any.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: A few questions
Reply #1 - 09/08/09 at 18:23:13

blue wire is a neutral safety

You need the cdi
decomp solenoid & timer
coil (of course)
rectifier if you want to charge a battery

I'll try to see if I can simplify a circuit diagram for you
but I think there's a bobber wiring diagram in the tect section

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/08/09 at 18:27:43

yep chopper/bobber wiring diagram

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1173898705

recommend you keep the decomp and solenoid, else it'll be hit or miss on starting.

WWW   IP Logged
jarroyo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/08/09 at 18:37:36

What is a decomp and what does it do? I don't have a rectifier in the box of parts I got with it, how much are they?

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/08/09 at 20:53:38

jarroyo,
The decomp lets cylinder pressure bleed off a little when the engine starts to turn over, otherwise the starter will fail shortly from the load and may not even turn the engine. These were very common on twostrokes when I rode years ago. Mostly kick start.

A rectifier is about $140. Go to Babbit's online and look for 04 LS650P. They don't show the S40. Use that as a reference and then go buy used if you want.
BTW, drove my Savage to show good friend who races and rides daily a Kawi 650 dual purpose. Jumped on mine, twisted it wide open, came back grinning and pronounced,"I shouldn't have done that. This thing has more torque than mine."  I don't know how good it will be on a Kart, but with mudgrips you can always hire it out for pulling stumps.  Boofer

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/08/09 at 20:56:42

There is a cable that attaches to the top of the engine. It swings a catch down into the valve train, to make an exhaust valve stay open for some very short time, to allow the starter a chance to get the engine swinging before it comes up on compression. You CAN run the decompression manually by pulling the cable yourself, hitting the starter, let go of the decompression cable..

A rectifier to handle the wattage the charge system puts out shouldnt be too hard to find. Fora all I know you could get 4 big fat diodes & build one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/08/09 at 21:00:45

The decomp releases all of the compression on the 1st stroke.
So the engine can build enough momentum to compress the next stroke and fire it off.

Watch fleabay for the rectifier, should be able to pick one up for less than $50

You could do it manually, I don't know how much leverage you need.
But just hold the lever down on the 1st stroke or two then let go.

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/09/09 at 08:51:00

Hmmm, Justin, stator puts out 60volts A/C, three phases. You can't simply rectify it and feed the system with it. You need to rectify, stabilise and keep it @ 14 volts, regardless of the load, otherwise your battery blows right up your b*lls. But I bet the headlight would project a laser beam at 60volts!  Wink Jarroyo, find a motorcycle rectifier unit. Should not be hard on ebay.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/09/09 at 09:04:44

If you can't find a rectifier, I'd pull the stator and just remember to charge the battery after use.  Should get several starts before the battery runs to far down.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/09/09 at 09:33:13

That would lighten it up & put the engines HP to driving it forward instead of charging a battery.
Whats the chassis design like? What exhaust you planning on using?
Keeping the belt? How will you get thru the gears?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jarroyo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/09/09 at 11:44:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/09/09 at 09:33:13:

Whats the chassis design like? What exhaust you planning on using?
Keeping the belt? How will you get thru the gears?

[/quote]

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/09/09 at 13:35:33

Man, this is way too cool. It seems you have no room for the belt. Tires are small so small driven chain sprocket should do fine with a suzuki GS front sprocket. One of them, that is, you will have to do some computations. Somebody show the guy that topic with chain conversion! I say get a rectifier unit, it's only few hundred watts load, compensate that with bigger jets, and you are worry free, as far as battery goes. Man, I wish I was with you right now working on this thing...

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #12 - 09/09/09 at 14:06:43

That's gonna be one load backfiring buggy since you don't have a muff of any sort on it...  Shocked

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
jarroyo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/09/09 at 16:44:59

Muffler will be coming soon. As far as working on it, it's been a challenge. I dropped it the other day and bent the motor mount assembly so I have to cut the welds and redo the entire thing.

The Sprocket combo I have on there now should be good for 116 maxed out and hitting every gear just right. Of course I'm not that crazy so it wil never see it's full potential.

Once I feel more comfortable with it I have a blow through turbo setup being fabbed up for it as well. The rear tires will be a bit wider and taller by then as well.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/09/09 at 17:01:27

You might want to think about some kind of aero package, maybe a small inverted wing under the seat, keep that thing willing to turn/

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 19:21:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A few questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.