Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Picked up a Savage - Need help getting it running! (Read 298 times)
riot
Ex Member

Re: Picked up a Savage - Need help getting it runn
Reply #15 - 09/12/09 at 05:13:27

Ok, we have lift off.  We ended up just going through the carb and cleaning things up.  Every orffice with clogged with crap.  ...no wonder it wouldn't start!!...

So a few things.

First off, I set the petcock to PRI to let some fuel get to the carb.  I walked away for about 30 seconds...upon returning I noticed fuel dripping EVERYWHERE.  I guess I didn't expect PRI to flow THAT much fuel.  I didn't have the boot connecting the carb to the air box/snorkel thing on, so fuel was just flowing right out of the inlet I think.  Is this normal? ...or did we put the float on upside down?  When set to "ON" it doesn't appear to be overflowing.

Ok, so now that she's running (fires up REAL easy EVERY time now), I decided to check the clutch.  Grabbed the clutch...shifted to first...STALL.  Tried it again...STALL.  The clutch lever felt a little soft so I tightened the cable...again...STALL.  The clutch cable is now all the way tight and the lever feels nice and firm, but it doesn't seem to be engaging the clutch.  I tried shifting to 2nd and get a nice grind and stall.

The previous owner mentioned it needed an oil change, so I'm going to start there first.  I can never remember how motorcycles work when it comes to transmissions/clutches...is there any fluid I need to change in there that could benefit me?  How hard is a clutch swap?  I'm not afraid to try! Smiley

Thanks guys!

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/12/09 at 17:50:34

riot,
Congratulations. You have unleashed the Torque Monster. Go to the technical/reference page and look under Table Of Contents. Oil change is at the top. Many helpful posts in there, some with pictures.

If you ask what oil you should use there may be bloodshed. LOL I use Act Evo T4 Castrol. 10w40 is recommended by Suzuki unless you live in extreme conditions. I have friends who run and race (successfully) KTMs, Kawasakis, etc. They also run ATVs. I'm going to go with Rotella T 15w40 next oil change. That's all they run, and it's $11 a gallon at WalMart. Use what you want, BUT DO NOT use oil with the energy saving seal. It will make your clutch slip. And a filter will be between $4 to $6 dollars. (OEM) Glad she's running.  Boofer

IP Logged
riot
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 09/13/09 at 05:34:38

Oh, my question wasn't related to the oil change itself...but rather the clutch.  I picked up some 10w40 Suzuki oil and a genuine Suzuki filter for $22 the other day that will be going in the Savage.

My question was...since it doesn't appear the clutch is engaging when I squeeze the lever (even after some tightening), would/should the oil change help that considering I'm sure the oil is decades (exaggerating) old?

Would it be worth my while to pull the clutch cover when I drain the oil to take a look around?  How hard is a clutch swap?  I'm hoping it's just the cable is too stretched out or something.  The lever has been tightened and there's definitely some resistance on it, but still no activation it seems.

Also, any thoughts on why the carb is FLOODING when set to PRI?  Or is that normal?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 09/13/09 at 08:37:29

Kickstand UP ?

There's a safety on the kickstand, won't allow it to be down and will kill the engine if you stick in gear.

WWW   IP Logged
riot
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 09/13/09 at 13:48:19

Holy crap.  I've been riding a SV650 for the past year...I should have known that!  darnIT!  Let me go try.

IP Logged
riot
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 09/13/09 at 14:09:56

Sure enough...it was the kickstand safety switch.

Wow I really should have known that.  Time to patch things up and take her out for a spin!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 09/13/09 at 16:57:01

riot wrote on 09/13/09 at 05:34:38:
Also, any thoughts on why the carb is FLOODING when set to PRI?  Or is that normal?

That my friend is not normal.
disenter the carb and check the float valve.

WWW   IP Logged
riot
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/14/09 at 05:14:03

Hmmm, I'll pop the bowl off and take a look around.  My friend who helped me go through the carb couldn't remember how the floats were mounted.  I sent him a few pictures from the tech documents section, and he thinks they went on right.  

On another note, I'm not sure if the choke is working right.  It seems that when I pull the choke out, the RPMs drop.  Push it in...they raise.

I still need to readjust the throttle cable.  Its way too tight right now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 13:31:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Picked up a Savage - Need help getting it running!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.