Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Picked up a Savage - Need help getting it running! (Read 298 times)
riot
Ex Member

Picked up a Savage - Need help getting it running!
09/08/09 at 06:12:08

So first a little background.  I've been working on cars for about 7-8 years now.  I've worked on everything from swapping motors to roll cage construction.  I'm pretty familiar with working in the garage.

With that said, I found a great deal on a 2001 Savage with ~5,500miles.  The bike has been sitting for a few months and the owner couldn't get it to start anymore.  She thought it may be the gas but upon inspection of the tank contents...there wasn't much gas in there.

First things first, I brought the bike home and put it on the battery tender to get that battery nice and full.  It is to my understanding that this motor needs some serious cranking amps to start.  

I went out and grabbed 1.5 gallons of 93 octane gas (just in case if there was some old gas left in the tank this would "balance" out the mixture.

Attempted to start the bike.  The starter is turning and everything sounds healthy, but no fire.    Yes the carb was choked, and yes the fuel switch was set "on".

I think next I'm going to pull the plug for replacement and pull the  fuel line headed to the carb just to verify fuel is getting TO the carb.  If that doesn't work I think I'm going to pull the whole carb for a closer inspection/cleaning.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: Picked up a Savage - Need help getting it runn
Reply #1 - 09/08/09 at 06:17:23

Is the petcock set to ON? Try setting it to PRI, let it sit for a few seconds and then give it a try. PRI will let gas flow to the carb without vaccum needed. If that's the case, I believe you go back and check the vaccum line for cracks or breaks.

If that doesn't get it going... I'd say a clogged filter (I think it's before the petcock) or it could be the carb just needs taken off and cleaned.

A "few months" doesn't seem long enough for the gas to turn to crap and cause the issue.

FWIW - You'll only need to run 87 octane normally.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
riot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/08/09 at 06:20:13

Yeah the petcock is set to on.  I tried starting it on PRI but didn't put it on there for very long.  I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the tips!

IP Logged
riot
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/08/09 at 06:41:15

Correction:  I misunderstood...I actually kept the petcock set to PRI when the bike isn't in use.  I haven't tried starting it on PRI...I set it to ON (and even tried RES just for giggles).

So you're saying try to start it while its set to PRI?  Should I not be setting the petcock to PRI when not in use?  I always thought that was "off"

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #4 - 09/08/09 at 06:52:45

Nope - There is no off... The "off" would be on, since as long as the bike is off, there is no vaccum to be pulling gas into the carb. Res is reserve, which just hits a lower spot on the tank, but follows the same concept as On.

Being on Pri could be flooding the thing. I'm not sure if you would see any sort of overflow with it like that or not. I'm no expert on these things and have only seen what others have posted in the past.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #5 - 09/08/09 at 07:14:39

Simon got it right, as far as I know.  I do not think prime would flood it unless the float was messed up.  But I am no expert either.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/08/09 at 07:42:39

Set the petcock to on.
Get a little bowl that will fit under the carb and open the carb drain.
Gas or no?
How much?  should be about a cup if the bowl was full.
Set the petcock to prime.
gas should flow continuously.

If you don't want to disassemble the carb and clean, get a can of seafoam, drain and fill the carb with it.  leave overnite.  drain and pour into the tank.  prime and see if she'll start.

WWW   IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/08/09 at 21:19:59

riot,
I agree with all the above, but if you want to you can pull the petcock and check for clogged screens. It's unlikely with low mileage, but it's just another step in the process. Some are easy. Mine is. Unhook vacuum line and gas line from petcock. My petcock has two bolts with #2 Phillips slots in them. Undo those and carefully pull down as straight as possible. (Small washer alert!) There is a plastic mesh tower about 4" or so into the tank.

But to get it cranked you will need to use prime as directed to make sure you are getting gas. After that it's probably carb or spark.  Boofer

IP Logged
riot
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/09/09 at 04:53:37

Update:

So last night I ruled out a few possibilities and am a lot closer to figuring out the problem.  I started by pulling the fuel line feeding the carb and testing to make sure fuel flowed through the petcock.  As expected, on "ON" the fuel flowed slowly and ended up just dripping (obviously since no vacuum), and PRI flowed freely.

I took some advice and tried draining the carb.  I can only assume the screw on the right side of the bike at the bottom is for draining the carb.  NOTHING came out.  I had the petcock set to PRI all day yesterday (oops), and apparently there was nothing in the carb.  The screw was loose so there is a slight chance that maybe all the fuel just drained out the bottom, but I DOUBT it.

So moving on, I decided to pull the tank to check for spark.  I pulled the plug and it was...well...needing replacement.  I popped a brand new NGK on the wire, grounded the plug, and confirmed spark.

All signs point to a gum'd up carb.  Cool

So I pulled the carb and a friend offered to "go through it" for me, so I'm taking him up on that offer.

On a side note, I did attempt to spray some Seafoam Deep Creep into the carb and it sounded like it fired once or twice, but I couldn't get it to do it again.  

Anywho, thanks for all the help guys, I'll keep you posted.

IP Logged
riot
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/10/09 at 05:43:15

So the carb has been taken apart.  As my friend put it...

"The previous owner ran it on honey until it stopped."

He was of course kidding, but regardless, it was pretty gummed up.

So now I am in need of a rebuild kit for the carb.  Anyone have any suggestions where to purchase?

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #10 - 09/10/09 at 05:48:16

I think I saw on here someone reference one on ebay, try searching here and see what you can find.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
riot
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/10/09 at 06:11:38

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-LS650-SAVAGE-KEYSTER-CARB-KIT-1986-2009...

I'm referencing some of the jet numbers on another thread on here and they don't seem to be matching up.  Can anyone else verify this is the kit I need for my 2001?

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #12 - 09/10/09 at 06:16:56

I am far from a gearhead and I have not even looked at these sites.  But this thread was on our forum:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1252475350/0#0

Verslagen usually knows what he is talking about.  I would PM him or Lancer, myself.

prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 09/10/09 at 07:15:43

I'm the one that posted the kit, for the money, it'sa pretty good kit.
But if you're cleaning, you don't need a kit.
take it apart, soak it, spray it, put it back together.
check the carb cleaning procedure in the tech section.
Savage Wahine did a good job.
becareful with cleaners on the rubber parts, some eat rubber.
the kit contains a few jets, good if you need, the 150 is a good size, at least it was for me.  Depends on your conditions.
For the money, you'd pay that much for a stock float valve.

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/11/09 at 02:27:29

Have the carb dipped in ultrasound bath for 30 mins. That's how we do it here.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:22:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Picked up a Savage - Need help getting it running!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.