Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
AT LAST, savage project almost complete - PHOTOS (Read 993 times)
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Re: AT LAST, savage project almost complete - PHOT
Reply #15 - 09/08/09 at 23:39:58

Looks really cool.  You probably want to cover up the electrical where you took the left side cover off.  You may run into some problems from it getting wet.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 09/09/09 at 16:45:10

You need a M1 rifle strapped on the side. Or in your case an Enfield.

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #17 - 09/09/09 at 17:08:47

WebsterMark wrote on 09/09/09 at 16:45:10:
You need a M1 rifle strapped on the side. Or in your case an Enfield.

Ha, lol....

I could grab the gun carrier from an MT-350 for the Enfield SA80

IP Logged
EricTheRed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 09/23/09 at 05:59:49

I Really like the look of the turned out muffler, what is it?

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #19 - 09/23/09 at 06:08:11

EricTheRed wrote on 09/23/09 at 05:59:49:
I Really like the look of the turned out muffler, what is it?

I cant remember where I got it, was £45, but thats all I remember... To be honest it WAY TOO loud (And I have a Virago 1100 with drag pipes....)

May have to fabricate some sort of baffle....

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #20 - 12/01/09 at 04:41:54

Just a quick update on the project....

Its all road legal now...

The numberplate was generated on a D plate (1987)
MOT was a breeze, even without mirrors or indicators
Tax'ed and Insured...  Smiley

I have covered the seat with thin foam, then spray painted it with the same stuff I used on the engine and hot bits.

Im surprised how quick it is.... It eats my Virago alive, I guess when you remove that much weight it makes sense. Im sure its around the 5/6 second mark from 0-60...

Its rough as old boots if you just want to plod along at low revs (keeping the noise down), feels like the belt is knocking somhow...

After riding a few miles and warming it right up, It always had a dull blowing noise and a rather large flame licks out the pipe as you turn it off  Grin

Next on the list of things to do. Meaty front and rear crash bars (I want to be able to lie it down without damaging anything.

Cut down rear fender (mud guard) and two ammo boxs bolted to it (like panniers). Get another brake lamp as I have now and have one on each ammo box.

Some sort of indicators, and one mirror (which I already have) that will attach to the headlamp bolt.

The other day I rode through a VERY large puddle (more like a lake), my mate behind me on his ZZR was pissing himself.... Water a good 10 ft in the air, I was drenched!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #21 - 12/01/09 at 06:00:54

I was going to comment about riding a motorcycle without a rear fender in the UK - where rain is a pretty common occurrence. Riding in that part of the world really calls for the fender set off a Kawasaki Drifter or an old Indian.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #22 - 12/01/09 at 06:04:45

Charon wrote on 12/01/09 at 06:00:54:
I was going to comment about riding a motorcycle without a rear fender in the UK - where rain is a pretty common occurrence. Riding in that part of the world really calls for the fender set off a Kawasaki Drifter or an old Indian.

Well there wont be much of a rear fender left after chopping it down, I want to keep the look as it is now... Really it will only be to support the ammo boxs... I may move the number plater over the wheel (bracket fabrication required) which may deflect some of the water... Hopefully...

At least I dont have to worry about rust on anything... Thers about 10 coats of thick brushed on pain on everything....  Smiley

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #23 - 12/01/09 at 06:12:40

If you mount the ammo boxes far enough back - or use large ones - you could just use one of the long auto style plates and screw it to both of the ammo boxes without any bracket at all. It would pass behind the rear tire from one box to the other. You mentioned putting lights on the rear of the boxes, so perhaps the hardware used to mount the lights could also hold the plate.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #24 - 12/01/09 at 06:15:05

Charon wrote on 12/01/09 at 06:12:40:
If you mount the ammo boxes far enough back - or use large ones - you could just use one of the long auto style plates and screw it to both of the ammo boxes without any bracket at all. It would pass behind the rear tire from one box to the other. You mentioned putting lights on the rear of the boxes, so perhaps the hardware used to mount the lights could also hold the plate.

Good idea... Will give it a think over... Wont know how far back they will go (or how far back they will look good) until I get hold of some boxs...

The only issue is its illegal in the UK to use all the charicters on one line (like a car) on a bike... They have to be on two lines  Sad

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #25 - 12/04/09 at 00:56:43

Cool looking project you got going there!

But hey, you mentioned the "belt knocking" somewhere in the thread. You really need to remove & check the front belt pulley for this:

http://catoosatrading.com/images/cycles/gear_teeth.jpg

Luckily the shaft is made of harder material than the belt pulley, so most folks this has happened to (quite a few) have gotten by with just replacing the pulley. In my case, it gave me an excuse to do a chain conversion on my later model 5-speed. But honestly, I don't think I'd do a chain conversion on the older 4-speed Savage, as there's not much to be improved on them.

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #26 - 12/04/09 at 05:23:00

Rockin_John wrote on 12/04/09 at 00:56:43:
Cool looking project you got going there!

But hey, you mentioned the "belt knocking" somewhere in the thread. You really need to remove & check the front belt pulley for this:

http://catoosatrading.com/images/cycles/gear_teeth.jpg

Luckily the shaft is made of harder material than the belt pulley, so most folks this has happened to (quite a few) have gotten by with just replacing the pulley. In my case, it gave me an excuse to do a chain conversion on my later model 5-speed. But honestly, I don't think I'd do a chain conversion on the older 4-speed Savage, as there's not much to be improved on them.

Thanks, Iv checked the front pully... Looks like new and its good and tight on there... Its only at low revs, like chain slap.... but the belt isnt loose enough for that...

Oh and im running a 5 speed engine.... I quite like the belt so keeping that, even if I have to put up with all the horrid feeling im getting from the back wheel  Smiley

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #27 - 03/06/10 at 13:33:06

Another quick update....

I have been running the Savage without a rear mudguard for the past 6 months ish... Lots of fun getting mud up my back  Grin. Im looking for the next mod so grabbed a second hand one from ebay and started on a tow bar (tow hitch). What do you all think? It looks like im going to get some lateral play, will that be a massive no no when towing?

IP Logged
Piker
YaBB Newbies

Burn baby, burn!

New Bruswick, Canada
Reply #28 - 03/06/10 at 15:24:38

Nice build man. Ammo boxes would be cool but maybe some khaki or O.D canvas messenger bags could be a consideration too...? Cool Keep your eye peeled at surplus.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #29 - 03/07/10 at 20:51:42

danroot wrote on 09/07/09 at 17:35:43:
yeah, i have a bunch of bbq grill paint that i used on my exhaust, came out alright, but i was just worried about just painting the whole thing.

I did that to mine but some one threw a steak on it.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:22:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › AT LAST, savage project almost complete - PHOTOS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.