Send Topic Print
Back brake light (Read 298 times)
sproutjw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Back brake light
09/07/09 at 05:54:02

My back brake light only comes on if I push hard on the brake.   has anyone had to redo the switch or have any suggestions???
I need to get it to work for my M test coming up.
Thanks

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Back brake light
Reply #1 - 09/07/09 at 06:05:31

I had adjusted the rear brake just before taking the test, and the test guy saw my stoplite not working. So I had to back off the adjustment a little to take the test. I should have adjusted the switch when I adjusted the brake, but it didn't look easy Roll Eyes

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/07/09 at 06:35:43

Switch is easy to adjust, hard to get to. I did mine without the exhaust on.  Then it's just right there!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 09/08/09 at 06:18:42

Is it ok to lay the bike down on its left side ? I think I can do it then !

Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
sproutjw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/08/09 at 09:47:57

Why did adjusting the brake have anything to do with the light not coming on all the time??  
You can't lay the bike down?? Thats just silly.

So they will check the brake lights are working.  My front one works fine. LOL Guess you need both.

Any suggestions for passing the test?   I'm in Ontario

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #5 - 09/09/09 at 20:08:47

Quote:
Why did adjusting the brake have anything to do with the light not coming
Because the rider didn't have to push the brake pedal down so far to brake, and that didn't activate the brake light switch.

Re-adjust the brake light switch.  No more problem.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 09/11/09 at 05:29:51

Yep, PT said it right, but I didn't think about that when I adjusted the brake.

Test ? I'm in Oregon, so wouldn't mean much,.....but they did a complete saftey check before they allow the test,....said if I didn't get the brake lite working, I couldn't take the test.

Test tip ?

Just get used to handling the test bike well, and you will be ok. I passed 100%, and I'm an old guy ! Lips Sealed I hadn't rode for 40 yrs, bought my s40 2 weeks before the test, but I rode it and did a lot of slow speed zig zags, and a lot of start/stops..... almost everyday before the test.

Good luck

Rich

Rich
  IP Logged
sproutjw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/12/09 at 07:46:47

Thanks Routy and PT.  I think my hubby was playing with the brake when I first got it. Now I wouldn't say he caused it. LOL.   I understand what your saying PT.  The switch for the light needs the pedal to go down so far before it activates it unless I adjust it.  So now its a matter of finding out how to adjust it.  If I raise the bike on a bike stand or pully could I do it easier that way?  

Undecided Undecided Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Ruddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spokane, WA
Reply #8 - 09/12/09 at 14:46:16

The brake light switch is located on the underside of the diagonal frame tube just under the rear bottom corner of the right side cover. Screw it in or out to adjust when it completes the brake light circuit.

If you change the pedal height, you usually have to readjust the switch. You would want the brake light to come on just before you actually apply pressure to the rear brake.

Rick
'06 S40
  IP Logged
sproutjw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/21/09 at 14:52:37

I did that Ruddy and it worked.  I fixed it.  Yahoo.  All by myself then hubby decided to fix the brake petal and broke the spring.   So I bought a new spring and pesto shes working like a charm.  No I just ahve to fix the leaky head gasket.   Not me someone else.  LOL

IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #10 - 09/21/09 at 18:26:04

Had a similar problem.  Got new rear brakes put on and when I picked the bike up, they had adjusted my brake pedal in way too tight for comfort and my rear brake light wouldn't come on.  Got home and readjusted the pedal for comfort, but still no light.  Under the right side, rear frame diagonal, I disconnected the spring, pulled it out, cut one end off with a pair of snips, re-shaped it with some needle-nose pliers and put it back on tight.  Voila! Rear brake lights work. 5 minute job.

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 09/21/09 at 18:51:21

So, I sorta have the same problem, except my brake light wont come on with either the foot brake or the hand brake?  What gives?  Do I need to adjust the connector like the above?  That would fix my foot brake not causing the brake light to come on but why would the front brake not cause the brake light to come on??  I'm stumped and don't want to take it to a shop.  TIA

-Matt

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #12 - 09/21/09 at 19:13:10

Matt, maybe the answer is the most obvious, the bulb or maybe a fuse.  I had trouble with the fuse because of a short in the hand brake lever when I got mine.  IHTH

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #13 - 09/21/09 at 19:33:15

Matt- simple test: grab the connection under the frame with some needle-nose pliers and pull it forward.  If the light comes on, it's the foot pedal cable connection being too loose.  If it doesn't come on, you have a circuitry problem.

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
supernes550
YaBB Newbies

I also rock mini
bikes.

south san diego
Reply #14 - 10/01/09 at 16:09:54

Any one have a picture of the rear brake switch hooked up to the pedal?  Mine was disconnected when I got it and I'm not able to find it on the online micro fiche like ronayers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:28:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Back brake light

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.