Backfire (Read 323 times)
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: Backfire
Reply #15 - 09/08/09 at 01:36:11

marine5317 wrote on 09/07/09 at 20:01:17:
It might sound good using the kill switch, but remember when you use the kill switch with it still running you are washing the oil film off the cylinder wall with unburned gas.    
                                                                       Ride Safe
                                                                       Marine5317

I imagine the same applies to the kickstand kill also. Undecided  As fun as it may be, it's not something I do often.  It is fun to do in a tunnel though! Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #16 - 09/08/09 at 07:00:32

Mine used to run better with the choke pulled out to the first notch. Sure sign of running lean. I installed a Dyna muffler, which I do get complimented on the sound. This exagerated the lean issue further, not good. Header pipe started to blue. I rejetted one size up  to a 150, up on the pilot and 3 washers in place of the spacer. I would have to say that with this exhaust and the carb mods, it is set perfect. No black soot. RARELY a backfire/puff/fart, whatever you want to call it. Not to mention the increase in power. Went on a ride this weekend and actually stayed on an 1100 crotch rockets back tire up to about 80/85 mph. Lets just say that the others I went with were definately impressed with my lil 650 single. Smiley Rejet and forget. Smiley

07 S40
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #17 - 09/09/09 at 01:44:12

so is the puff on shut down normal or is it a symptom of something?

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 09/09/09 at 07:13:17

A well tuned engine rumbles & grumbles, a Poof sometimes at shutdown is nothing. As long as it doesnt sound like a gunshot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JustPassinThru
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 09/14/09 at 22:40:12

It might sound good using the kill switch, but remember when you use the kill switch with it still running you are washing the oil film off the cylinder wall with unburned gas.    
                                                                       Ride Safe
                                                                       Marine5317

Not only that...you're pumping unburned, relatively COLD, gas and air past the red-hot exhaust valve and porting.

It's a good way to damage the engine if done regularly.  Best way, the ONLY way, to kill it, is to let it down to idle and then kill the ignition.  If I could find a way to shut it down with fuel or load, without wearing the clutch or waiting for the carb bowl to run dry, that's how I'd do it.

As for backfires...mine sounds like a gang war on deceleration.  And EVERY time I shut it down...the engine winds down, there's a half-second of absolute silence...and then, either a >pop< or a BANG!, of various intensity.

Sometimes amusing, sometimes embarrassing, generally annoying.

IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #20 - 09/15/09 at 08:25:24

JustPassinThru wrote on 09/14/09 at 22:40:12:
                                                                       Ride Safe
                                                                       Marine5317

to kill mine, "bang free", I simply hold the front brake, bike in 1st, and slowly let out the clutch until she dies....never had a backfire once....

anyone see why that method would cause any problems/damage?
Not only that...you're pumping unburned, relatively COLD, gas and air past the red-hot exhaust valve and porting.

It's a good way to damage the engine if done regularly.  Best way, the ONLY way, to kill it, is to let it down to idle and then kill the ignition.  If I could find a way to shut it down with fuel or load, without wearing the clutch or waiting for the carb bowl to run dry, that's how I'd do it.

As for backfires...mine sounds like a gang war on deceleration.  And EVERY time I shut it down...the engine winds down, there's a half-second of absolute silence...and then, either a >pop< or a BANG!, of various intensity.

Sometimes amusing, sometimes embarrassing, generally annoying.

IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #21 - 09/15/09 at 08:46:32

I use my back fire to make Traffic Cops Wake up on the morning commute.

there is a bridge I go over way out in the country and every now and a gin i will catch Barny Fife and Enus asleep in the car.... ease on by the and CAPOW there awake and cleaning their draws out.... I love my Thumper Shocked

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #22 - 09/15/09 at 08:47:55

to kill mine, "bang free", I simply hold the front brake, bike in 1st, and slowly let out the clutch until she dies....never had a backfire once....

IP Logged
JustPassinThru
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 09/15/09 at 10:21:41

Mattdw wrote on 09/15/09 at 08:47:55:

Wear on the clutch.

I don't know how hardy that clutch is...it might not be an issue; or it might destroy it over time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:23:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.