Send Topic Print
Backfire (Read 323 times)
maephisto
YaBB Newbies

ride ride ride!

Europe
Backfire
09/06/09 at 23:50:00

Is it normal for the engine to backfire if i stop the engine with the choke pulled out ?

1998 Suzuki Savage.
maephisto marius.mc1 my_sky_mc   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Backfire
Reply #1 - 09/07/09 at 05:46:06

maephisto wrote on 09/06/09 at 23:50:00:
Is it normal for the engine to backfire if i stop the engine with the choke pulled out ?

I don't know why you would stop the engine w/ the choke pulled out. But mine sneezes....snorts when I turn off the key,....w/ the choke pushed in. I guess you could call it a "backfire", but not like it does when decellerating from hi R's.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
maephisto
YaBB Newbies

ride ride ride!

Europe
Reply #2 - 09/07/09 at 06:07:13

Routy wrote on 09/07/09 at 05:46:06:
maephisto wrote on 09/06/09 at 23:50:00:

I don't know why you would stop the engine w/ the choke pulled out. But mine sneezes....snorts when I turn off the key,....w/ the choke pushed in. I guess you could call it a "backfire", but not like it does when decellerating from hi R's.

it's like a gun shot loud enough to freak out a block...I usualy ride with the choke pulled out...

1998 Suzuki Savage.
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/07/09 at 07:11:22

maephisto wrote on 09/07/09 at 06:07:13:
it's like a gun shot loud enough to freak out a block...I usualy ride with the choke pulled out...

It's not good to ride with the choke pulled out after the normal warm up period.  The extra gas tends to wash the oil off the cylinder walls.
Now of course if your bike is so lean that having the choke out to make it run right is a sure indication of a problem that needs fixin'.
1st, I don't know what year your bike is, or how many miles it's got or if you're capable of turning a wrench... so easiest steps 1st.

Drain the carb, fill it with seafoam, let sit overnight.
Drain, pour into the tank with reasonably fresh gas.
And see how that goes.

Do you have the brass plug pulled over the idle mixture screw?
if you do, 1/8 to a 1/4 turn rich CCW to tame the howitzer blast down to a most comical poof in comparison.

Take your adjustments slow, and you'll learn from each one.

one more question, did you change anything in the exhaust or intake?

WWW   IP Logged
maephisto
YaBB Newbies

ride ride ride!

Europe
Reply #4 - 09/07/09 at 07:26:17

verslagen1 wrote on 09/07/09 at 07:11:22:
maephisto wrote on 09/07/09 at 06:07:13:

It's not good to ride with the choke pulled out after the normal warm up period.  The extra gas tends to wash the oil off the cylinder walls.
Now of course if your bike is so lean that having the choke out to make it run right is a sure indication of a problem that needs fixin'.
1st, I don't know what year your bike is, or how many miles it's got or if you're capable of turning a wrench... so easiest steps 1st.

Drain the carb, fill it with seafoam, let sit overnight.
Drain, pour into the tank with reasonably fresh gas.
And see how that goes.

Do you have the brass plug pulled over the idle mixture screw?
if you do, 1/8 to a 1/4 turn rich CCW to tame the howitzer blast down to a most comical poof in comparison.

Take your adjustments slow, and you'll learn from each one.

one more question, did you change anything in the exhaust or intake?

the bike is a '98 all standard, no mods. about 31000km...that's about 19000 miles. it runs fine with the choke in, but i liked it better with it pulled out. it sounds and feels better...

1998 Suzuki Savage.
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/07/09 at 07:54:41

maephisto wrote on 09/07/09 at 07:26:17:
the bike is a '98 all standard, no mods. about 31000km...that's about 19000 miles. it runs fine with the choke in, but i liked it better with it pulled out. it sounds and feels better...

rejet, it'll be better for the bike.

WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 09/07/09 at 10:53:55

i saw backfire and just to do it POP POP POW!!!

with the debaffled sporty muffler on now it's more like a roar and tank shot!

i'll be rejetting soon though, hopefully it doesn't take away too much of the warning shots !  Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #7 - 09/07/09 at 11:01:43

I kinda like the backfire now that I heard it helps scare the deer out of the road Grin

Just thought I'd mention that benefit.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 09/07/09 at 13:52:21

I felt pretty bad yesterday when the backfire made a young girl standing on the sidewalk jump and scream. Not my intention, but scared the shite out of her. Hey.....it happens.

FSO
  IP Logged
twdy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/07/09 at 16:04:30

a little off topic... but do you guys have any tips on making her backfire on command?  she sometimes does when i drop from 3rd to second on a decel..

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #10 - 09/07/09 at 16:43:54

twdy wrote on 09/07/09 at 16:04:30:
a little off topic... but do you guys have any tips on making her backfire on command?  she sometimes does when i drop from 3rd to second on a decel..

Absolutely!  Just tap the kill switch off, then on again, while under slight acceleration.  POW!  Shocked Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/07/09 at 19:51:23

twdy,
Since I live in the country and all my neighbors hunt and shoot guns like I do, I often announce my homecoming with a backfire. I just pull into my shed and blip the throttle. As rpms rise, just hit kill switch. Rpms dictate sound from .410 guage to 12 ga duck loads. Would not do it in town, but nearest house is 200 yds away.   Boofer

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/07/09 at 19:54:13

I have a harder time flicking the kill off & on & keeping the throttle right, so I drop the heel onto the sidestand a bit, its a lot easier for me & I can do it & no one can see my hand,, just looks like an honest backfire. I did that while 2 cops were on a call & in someones front yard,, Skeert the hayull outta those guys..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #13 - 09/07/09 at 20:01:17

It might sound good using the kill switch, but remember when you use the kill switch with it still running you are washing the oil film off the cylinder wall with unburned gas.    
                                                                       Ride Safe
                                                                       Marine5317

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/07/09 at 20:24:15

marine5317,
Good point.
Boofer

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home