Send Topic Print
Ethanol in gas (Read 211 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Ethanol in gas
09/05/09 at 08:33:14

In Connecticut we have  ethanol in the gas .I was going to just use stabil to winterize my s40 ,but people are saying to drain the gas out of the carb because of the ethanol . What is the best thing to do ,and how do you drain the carb,and bowl?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Ethanol in gas
Reply #1 - 09/05/09 at 09:35:03

You might look around for a station that sells gas w/o the ethanol. There are a couple in Longview.

The more full the tank is, the less surface area is exposed to the air. I would think that would minimized the water absorption from the air.
Reelthing has studied the effects of the ethanol & knows what the stuff does over time. I cant remember it, but seems he said something about it separating & & making layers,, heck, thats probably a hallucination, IDK.
Draining the carb sounds like a good idea. Maybe unhook the fuel line from the tank & run it outta gas? That might clear the innards better than just draining it???? Then, drain the bowl & see just how close to empty it is when the engine dies.
Drop the Stabil in the tank & hook up the float charger. Ohh, change the oil.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #2 - 09/06/09 at 03:33:33

There is a screw on the bottom of the float bowl you can use to drain the carb.  I follow the "full tank with Stabil and drain the carb" theory of storage.  Survived five Michigan winters with no problems this way.

IP Logged
smitty1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/09/09 at 11:23:04

Don't use it if you can help it. My mechanic say it will decrease your gas milage about 10 - 20%. Another guy on the forum said to use premium  and i've gotten better gas milage since. when your only putting 2+ gals each time, it's not that much more

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 09/09/09 at 13:54:26

I agree to nearly 110% of what you all just said.

Premium gas will improve mileage, provided you do essentially freeway miles cruising in top gear.

If you do stop&go city traffic, the cheapest is best, no use wasting premium idling at the lights.

Ethanol is an alcohol, and alcohol is more volatile than gasoline.
In the long run, the ethanol will slowly float to the surface and eventually evaporate.
OR
If you run the bike on last summer's FlexiFuel mix, she'll run on the gas, then suddenly chug, sputter and clonk to a halt as the more and more pure alcohol feeds in the fuel line... Remember, the fuel:air mixture is 1:14 with gasoline, it's only about 1:6 with pure alcohol...

I'd say, FILL the tank with regular to the brim and a good dose of Sta-Bil or whatever.

Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/09/09 at 18:00:14

Premium mainly has more anti-knock additives and is designed to ignite less easily.  There's a tiny bit more energy in it, but that doesn't appear to be worth the extra cost.  A bigger problem is a relatively low compression engine that might not like premium.  I recall that premium may have a more comprehensive additive package and might be worth running every once and a while.

The ethanol mileage loss seems quite real.  We have a straight gas source here - I do consistently get a bit better mileage on straight gas.  Maybe as much as 10%, but probably not.  

I use gas additives every once and while.  The carb is sparkling whenever I'm in there, so something is working!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 09/09/09 at 18:33:25

Ethanol or any alcohol in the gas will pull in water vapor over time and it ends up becoming so watered down it won't burn. Filling the up the tank decreases the surface area of the gas/ethanol mixture in your tank and will keep the alcohol from adsorbing humidity. It also is not good to rubber and plastics so a dose of gas additive is a must for long term sitting. I've used two stroke engine oil mixed in with the gas to help protect the rubber parts in carbs at the end of the day back when I ran straight ethanol/methanol in race engines.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #7 - 09/09/09 at 18:45:17

If you use sta-bil and let the MC run ,then sta-bil gets into the carb.

Right? Then why would you need to drain the carb?
Just wondering.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 09/09/09 at 18:57:39

Ed L. wrote on 09/09/09 at 18:33:25:
Ethanol or any alcohol in the gas will pull in water vapor over time and it ends up becoming so watered down it won't burn. Filling the up the tank decreases the surface area of the gas/ethanol mixture in your tank and will keep the alcohol from adsorbing humidity. It also is not good to rubber and plastics so a dose of gas additive is a must for long term sitting. I've used two stroke engine oil mixed in with the gas to help protect the rubber parts in carbs at the end of the day back when I ran straight ethanol/methanol in race engines.

here (on the west slope of colorado) at 4500' above sea level i cant believe your winters are worst than ours.

my 06 ls bought new has never seen gas additives, battery tenders,or and other $ suckin winter prep crap...
i get out to the unheateted carrrige house where she resides every 2 weeks or so w/ some beer(4 me) and fire her up...
got an oil temp gauge and dont shut her down till oil is UP TO TEMP..
sometimes i got to back into the house and get more beer for this to happen...
save your money and buy more beer!!!
now those savage riders in antartica and the exterme parts of alaska and canada do what you gotta do...and have a beer on me..

p.s. my B.I.L. owns a liquor store!!! Roll Eyes

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #9 - 09/09/09 at 20:01:06

Here in Missouri I just fill the tank and connect the Battery Tender Jr.

Of course, every winter month has it's thaw, so I'll go out and ride the thang every few weeks!

"IF the road is clear, the bike is in gear!"

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #10 - 09/10/09 at 01:43:12

I count myself lucky to not have to mess with winterizing.  If you don't mind a little cold and wet, you can pretty much ride year round here.  I never went more than a couple weeks without taking a spin last winter. Smiley

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/17/09 at 09:51:47

Here in Phoenix we winterize by cranking the AC up a degree or two. They are saying “only” 105 this weekend, not bad for the 3rd week in September. Hey! You can ride every day! It's like riding through HELL but you can do it every day.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #12 - 09/17/09 at 11:18:08

Here in Central California, we have Ethanol in our gas as well.  When I "winterize" a few months out of the year, I put on a good heavy coat and try not to drink the stuff (ethanol will kill you ya know--prefer starbucks myself).  But I can really relate to draining your tank.  I try and stop every hour or two to drain mine, especially if I get too much starbucks.  Makes the year round riding here more enjoyable.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 07:30:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ethanol in gas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!