Send Topic Print
Sta-bil (Read 389 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Sta-bil
09/05/09 at 08:18:24

A mechanic told me using stabil in the gas for winter storage can gum up the carb .Is there any truth to that ? Thanks.

IP Logged
jabman

England
Re: Sta-bil
Reply #1 - 09/05/09 at 08:26:24

i thought that stuff was to stop gumming up the carb and to stop the fuel going 'off'

you could drain the carb first before you put it away

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #2 - 09/05/09 at 11:17:59

I put it in anything I have that won't be run for extended periods. I put it in the tank, let it mix, and then run it enough to get it in carbs and fuel lines. Never had a problem.

Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 09/05/09 at 14:22:28

I know it keeps gas good for a long time, so I would think the carb would be safe too.

But in my experience,....over many years, Wink I have never had any problems from bad fuel for at least a year,....and even 2.

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/05/09 at 14:39:34

If you pulled the line to the carb & ran it till it died & drained whatever was left, wouldnt that be about as good as it gets? Or would a full carb be better than a dry one? Would the bowl gasket dry out & cause a leak next spring?
HEY! I know..Move South so you dont have to park it for months.
OR,  Butch up & ride, like Digger.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #5 - 09/05/09 at 14:54:47

you're correct about that Justin. The AMA says we average about 4 days a year not suited for riding. Cold and wet don't count. Just ice. But below about 45, I freeze my rear end off. Not fond of riding in the rain either.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/05/09 at 16:29:10

I have used Sta-bil for years with good results. I don't know how it will work with ethanol fuel mixes. They use an ethanol blend out here in Phoenix. If I have to store a bike for a while I replace the fuel with aviation gas. I know from experience that aviation gas will last for up to a year.

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/05/09 at 23:14:49

Rl153, I use Sta-bil in my emergency generator with 7hp Robyn engine. (As per directions on bottle)  As stated before, let it run and get into the carb. With my lawnmower I just tie down the blade safety and let it run dry. Always cranks ok in spring with fresh gas. Boofer

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/06/09 at 10:15:30

I never used any fuel additives on my bikes. I do take the battery out over winter. For gas - I crank it up every once in a while with jump cables. If road is dry, I reinstall battery and take it out for a spin. Never had a slightest problem.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #9 - 09/06/09 at 10:40:08

JohnBoy wrote on 09/05/09 at 16:29:10:
I have used Sta-bil for years with good results. I don't know how it will work with ethanol fuel mixes. They use an ethanol blend out here in Phoenix. If I have to store a bike for a while I replace the fuel with aviation gas. I know from experience that aviation gas will last for up to a year.

Quote:
STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer eliminates the need to drain fuel during storage, and keeps fuel fresh for up to 12 months or more. STA-BIL now includes more corrosion protection than ever before to help prevent and protect against problems caused by today’s Ethanol-blended fuels.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx

Modern gasoline does not remain good in storage as gasoline did years ago.  Either draining the tank (good idea in a dry climate like Arizona) or filling to the top with gasoline plus Sta-bil or equal is best.  Running the disconnected carburetor dry is good.

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/07/09 at 20:38:49

Last week my brother's ATV wouldn't start--just turned over and tried once. He only rides from September to about February fixing deer stand up and while hunting. Gas sits in there about 6 months in hot closed shop. I don't recommend this, but I gave it the sniff test. It won't always tell you when gas is still good enough to run, but it will tell you when it is too bad to use. Bad gas smells like paint thinner.
Boofer

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/07/09 at 23:40:03

Dont ATV's have plastic tanks? My Yamaha does. If hes not gonna ride it, he should drain it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #12 - 09/08/09 at 10:17:54

So is all this recommended even in a garage that is climate controlled?  We've never had any trouble with our 4-wheeler or riding lawn mower, but I don't want to be that careless about my bike!  This will be my first winter with it, and I want to do the right things.  

Fill the tank or drain the tank?
Use Stabil or not?
Remove the battery or trickle charge it?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 09/08/09 at 12:28:50

I use Sea Foam in the gas does same as

sta-bil but has some oil in it. I just charge the battery and it last all winter here which is about 4 months, I never fill the tank or drain it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 09/08/09 at 15:46:00

Just remembering High School Chemistry, chemical reactions take place more slowly at lower temperatures. An unheated garage or shed in winter would seem to be the best for slowing chemical reactions, such as fuel oxidizing or spoiling in some other way. It would also slow the evaporation of volatile parts of the fuel (fuel being a blend of hydrocarbons). By the way, since batteries are also chemical systems, self-discharge of batteries takes place more slowly at low temperatures.

There are one or two posters on this board who seem to have worked in the petroleum industry, or who at least seem to know a good bit about petroleum products. Perhaps one of them will chime in and describe in some detail just what it is about gasoline that goes bad over time. Do some of the volatiles evaporate out? Do some of the "cracked" hydrocarbons recombine? Do some components polymerize? Just what happens? And what does Sta-Bil do about it?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:27:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sta-bil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.