Send Topic Print
Sta-bil (Read 389 times)
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Sta-bil
Reply #15 - 09/08/09 at 19:14:31

I filled my tank up last winter and used sta-bil.Didnt drain the carb.But let the bike run awhile to mix the sta-bil in. No problems that I know of.I did this because that was what I kept reading online through searches,everywhere.But some that didnt mention stabil said to drain the carb!
I personally feel the sta-bil keeps the carb from getting gummed up and according to what I read also! And the auto parts store guys said so also.So I was pretty convinced it would and did.
I've heard its not good to have a low battery in the winter,at least outside because it would do harm to the battery in freezing weather.I had my battery in the bike ,outside,forgot to keep it charged and it was no good this spring.So it did harm my battery.(Got really cold here last winter)

I am building a bike only shed before this winter Wink My other shed/storage building was/is too full to put the bike in.

My friends keep their bikes in a garage or shed and do little to them in the winter except maybe use a trickle charger. I did use a Motorcycle cover,but that didnt do alot of good I dont think except to keep the rain off. Undecided

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #16 - 09/08/09 at 20:04:59

I plug in the battery tender and put a cover on it. Never had a problem yet.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 09/08/09 at 20:26:37

I just noticed one poster is from Georgia and one is from New Hampshire. Just guessing, but maybe we are all right in our winter preps. Just harsher weather in some places. I will try to ride my Savage enough to keep it charged. I am too old to brave freezing weather, but we have a lot of 45-50 days. I have a snapper mower in unheated area. I crank it about once a month and cut up leaves. Works great and get 4 yrs from Snapper batteries. Tried cheap battery once--got one year. BTW a fully charged battery, due to specific gravity shouldn't freeze. (Can anyone back me up on this?) Saw a guy put charger on a car battery he didn't know was frozen. It exploded. Boofer

IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #18 - 09/15/09 at 16:31:17

qn7qcw7 wrote on 09/08/09 at 20:26:37:
... BTW a fully charged battery, due to specific gravity shouldn't freeze. (Can anyone back me up on this?) ...

Last November when I bought a Battery Tender Jr, I went on their site to read up on battery winterizing.  From what I recall was on their site, a 100% fully charged battery wouldn't freeze until -50 to -60 degrees F.  A 40% charged battery, on the other hand, would freeze perhaps at only 16 degrees F.  They did mention it was important to keep your battery fluid levels at the appropriate range a.k.a. add distilled water it if looks a little low.  I don't know if the freezing point is affected if a battery's cell(s) is/are low on water.

-Pabst

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #19 - 09/15/09 at 18:06:12

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 09/08/09 at 20:04:59:
I plug in the battery tender and put a cover on it. Never had a problem yet.

AL

Is your bike inside or outside?

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #20 - 09/16/09 at 10:13:01

If you follow the directions on the bottle, STA-Bil is a good product.  

If you use the train of thought that my grandfather did,  "If a little bit of a good thing works, then four or five times the amount must be great" you will find that the improper mix can leave a coating on the sparkplug ceramic that can short the plug causing bad or no spark.   Of course that makes one think the ign system went bad over the winter and not the simple thing.

The first year I had to get his lawnmower running, took me a few hours (and beers ) to figure out what happened.  Found out by accident when I pulled the starter cord without a good ground on the plug.  Shocked   It isn't shorted when it has a good high resistance human body ground....

The second year,  was about an hour and that was mostly the "he couldn't have done it again" train of reasoning that prevented me from looking at the gas.  

The third year, about 5 minutes of changing a plug and draining the gas to a bigger container so I could mix in enough fresh gas to dilute the Sta-bil.  

No fourth year because I started winter-izing the mower.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #21 - 12/09/09 at 20:32:20

I think Sta-Bil is good stuff, but you need to keep an eye on it.

I had some of the red Sta-Bil on the shelf for a few years once.  I picked up the bottle and noticed a good deal of precipitate on the bottom.  It had gone bad.

Speaking of Sta-Bil, has anyone had any experience with the green Sta-Bil (the stuff made for use with ethanol-laced gas)?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:45:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sta-bil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.